Early morning workouts :O

Options
Hello guys,

Now when it comes to exercise i seem to find a million things else that i'd rather do and i can be kind of lazy when it comes to exercise. The morning seems my best hope of working out as im mostly always busy in the afternoons or feel to tired to workout. Im gonna start on 15/10/12 . Does anyone else workout in the mornings and if so, what time do you wake up?

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I am more consistent if I do early morning runs, but strength train in the evenings. I get up at 0500, go to the track at the Y and run 3 miles. Home and in the shower and at work by 0800. Works for me
  • brennsie
    Options
    Up at 5 and running by 5:15. Normally, I'll make it back to my place at 6, which is kind of necessary as most days I need to be leaving for class at 7 (gives me an hour to get ready). You might just want to play around with what time you get up at and find a time that works for you. I highly recommend morning workouts though. :)
  • titanium2012
    Options
    I wake up at 5 and get into the gym by 5:30. It took some getting used to but now I actually like it. I can't do it every day though. I try to go 3 times at 5:30 during the week, and then I go later (9-10 am) on the weekends. On my off days I'm usually playing some sort of sport in the afternoon or evening.

My hardest issue with morning workouts was nutrition. When I went on an empty stomach and worked out for an hour, I felt light-headed at the end. But I also knew if I ate anything substantial I would have an upset stomach. I searched for information on whether I should eat anything, and what I should eat. There are mixed opinions. I've found having a banana 30 mins before usually works well. They say you should eat an hour before, but there is no way I'm waking up at 4:30.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Up at 5, running/working out at 5:15. Back to the house at 6 to take the kid to his early morning class at 6:15, run/workout part 2 until 7:15, home to shower and eat breakfast, starting work at 9:00.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am at my best in the late afternoons, so I always work out when I get home. Even if I were unemployed, I would not choose to workout in the mornings. Mornings and me have never gotten along. :laugh: :laugh:
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    On Tuesday and Thursdays I get up at 5:30 and bike for an hour and am at work by 8am. On Saturday and Sunday, I get up at 6am and bike for an hour. I have to be at work at 7am on Mon and Weds so no workout except when I get to walk at lunch- my muscles need the days off anyway. For me, individual applesauce is the best thing I've found that helps me not get too hungry before my workout and causes no problems.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I like early morning when I do it, because then it's out of the way, and I have added calories to my targets. Sometimes I vary it up, but it never feels like I am guaranteed to work out unless I do it first thing in the morning.
    Sometimes if I have a trainer session at 7am I wake up at 5 to eat a light breakfast as I like to have some fuel to go on but still not eat too close to workout time.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    WoW a good few of you guys workout in the mornings im gonna try and motivate myself its gonna be tough though.
  • angiedmart
    Options
    I am up at 4:30 am currently Monday, Wednesday, Friday for Bootcamp which starts at 5:30am for an hour. Bootcamp is ending this Wednesday, so I will return to my local fitness centre for cardio, and weights at 6am when they open. I will be able to sleep until 5:15am then! lol I find working out is best for me as once it is done, it is out of the way, and it fits my daily work schedule. After a day of working, and being on my feet all day, I don't much feel like going to the gym, so mornings are best for me.
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    wow, all of you are my heros. the earliest i wake up for a work out at the gym is 8 am before class/work.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6 get the kids ready for school and drop my daughter off at 7;35 then I either stop at the gym on the way back or I come home and ride my stationary bike, do a workout tape or walk.then I get ready for whatever the day holds......I find if I dont do it early in the morning i can find excuse after excuse not to do it
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am up by 4:20am and at the gym by 5am. Morning workouts are the best
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I hate morning exercise for a couple reasons. Not a morning person, and I feel hungry all day after I exercise in the morning. I love to exercise at 9 or 10 at night though.

But I am wondering about your start date(15-10-12)....Are you saying you'll never start??? :laugh:
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well since I have classes and work, I hit the gym Mon-Fri at 6am. It gives me ample time to get in an hour workout, 20 - 30 minutes of cardio, and a shower. Pretty much all of the machinery is open at the university as well because who else but me wants to work out that early! Haha. I find that a good workout first thing in the morning gets me revved up for the day.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I wake at 5 every day, headed to gym by 5:30 Monday/Tuesday/Thursday, a little earlier on Wednesday because the Spin class starts at 5:30 that day, home by 7, on the road to work by 8 since most days I don't have to be there until 8:30 or later. Fridays I have to be there by 7:30, so no morning workout. Saturdays I'm at the gym by 8:30 for Body Pump, but walk at least 1.5 miles with the dog first, Sundays I walk the dog between 7 and 8.

I try to eat before the early workouts, but usually just a Greek yogurt with fruit, and I sometimes don't have time to eat one on Wednesdays.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I hate morning exercise for a couple reasons. Not a morning person, and I feel hungry all day after I exercise in the morning. I love to exercise at 9 or 10 at night though.

But I am wondering about your start date(15-10-12)....Are you saying you'll never start??? :laugh:

Could be the OP is not from US, many countries express dates day/month/year...just a guess.
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mon - Wed - Fri are my early workout days. Alarm goes off at 5, out of the house by 5:50ish and at Jazzercise class for 6:00. It's the best way to start my day.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Umm, that would be 15 October 2012? What's wrong with that?

• Tcbb2000
    Options
    I love the energy I get from early morning workouts. I don't need a dose of coffee or caffiene.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    When I was trying to get in to the swing of things, really make running a habit, I'd do it in the mornings (around the neighborhood) to make sure it happened. Now I'm fully hooked, and I'll go to bed late rather than avoid a run (though I'm still a morning person). I also have a training partner and our schedules only synch up after work, so most of the time I just run after work to avoid having runs too close together (it'd be less than 10 hours if I ran one evening and the next morning).

But I still wake up early - these days the "chore" to get out of the way first thing is cleaning the house :P