Diet Pepsi Not Helping

Options

Replies

• Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I drink regular soda (can't have aspertame), and as long as I stay under my daily goal, I'm steadily losing weight. I can't see that one diet soda would have made that much of a difference for you.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This report is lacking some very important information. There are plenty of non-physiological reasons people may have had these results. Typically, when people eat or drink something diet, they eat more because, consciously or subconsciously, that they can eat more because of the calories saved by drinking the diet soda.

Also...did they also gain weight? If they didn't, it would mean their fat got redistributed, which would definitely be interesting.

When they first started using Nutrisweet in pop, I switched from regular pop to diet pop and lost 10 lbs in 1 week and my waist didn't grow noticeably. Yes, I drank a lot of pop in a week...obviously.

I now drink a lot of pop. I'm working on drinking water instead while working (I'm a substitute teacher) only because I think it's a better example to the students. I hate coffee, so my morning drink is Diet Dr. Pepper. I really don't think it causes me to crave.

Different people have different triggers and I don't think you can say that any one thing is a trigger for everyone or causes everyone to crave sweets.

============
    That is very possible. Read this:

CBS) Sorry, soda lovers - even diet drinks can make you fat.

That's the word from authors of two new studies, presented Sunday at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised" Dr. Helen Hazuda, professor of medicine at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, said in a written statement. "They may be free of calories, but not of consequences."

Consequences like weight gain.

For one study, researchers at the center followed 474 diet soda drinkers, 65 to 74 years of age, for almost 10 years. They found that diet soda drinkers' waists grew 70 percent more than non-drinkers. Specifically, drinking two or more diet sodas a day busted belt sizes five times more than people who avoided the stuff entirely.

And as waist size grows, so do health risks - including diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20075358-10391704/new-study-is-wake-up-call-for-diet-soda-drinkers/
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating fewer calories than your body uses, you will lose weight, diet soda or not. It probably is a crave inspiration for some, but I doubt it is for everyone.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!

Where do you get this information from?? What is your proof source for this?

Articifical sweeteners in drinks can cause us to crave sugary foods. (whether you eat that food or not, it up to you, but it is sabatogory)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/77144-crave-sweets-after-eating-meal/
    Paragraph 7

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/27/are-sugar-substitutes-worse-than-the-real-thing/
    Q #4

http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page11.htm
    paragraph 3

But more importantly. Soda rots your teeth.

**Edited because I used wrong word.

Seriously? You are posting Livestrong and CNN articles as proof sources?? How about a peer reviewed study maybe??
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You have to wade thru the voo-doo science here.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and artificial sweeteners cause our brains to crave sugar, so we eat more. Artificial sweeteners are one of the main reasons we are all FAT!!

How about the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine? Is that a reputable enough source for you? If you want more info, they list 60 more reputable studies and articles from which they compiled that article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    just about anything you would want to know about diet and health is found by the Mayo Clinic. Just google it...and Livestrong uses Mayo Clinic as a source a good amount when they list scientifically factual items or tips. I am fixin to move up to Rochester, MN, where the clinic is at.

I do not drink soda, except when eating out, or the occasional (once a week) energy drink to stay awake in class Friday night. I stick with water, and milk. I use the milk to make my protein shakes. Even though it says "zero calories," there is other stuff going on. It does have preservatives and such....
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Let the sources battle begin! lol, that is funny!
  • tinamwaits
    Options
    HAHAHA!

I was laughing at the bread picture and quote, but I messed it up lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

How about the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine? Is that a reputable enough source for you? If you want more info, they list 60 more reputable studies and articles from which they compiled that article. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Yes, thanks! I will take a look.
  • Special2013
    Special2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    funny thanks for the laugh
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    haha blaming a diet soda for weight gain instead of the meal you had when you went out with friends.. love it! Like blaming the weight gain from that super size mcdonalds meal on the diet coke you had to wash it down! Ha!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Its also the food that you associate soda with. Diet cola goes great with pizza, chips, and fast food. If you drink less diet soda/soda you may pick healthier food without even thinking about it.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Its also the food that you associate soda with. Diet cola goes great with pizza, chips, and fast food. If you drink less diet soda/soda you may pick healthier food without even thinking about it.

Not True! If you go in, go all the way in.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Definitely the sodium and the food selection. A 22 ounce glass of diet soda can't put on 3 pounds. It's not mathematically possible. Not even regular soda.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I personally think that diet soda is literally the devil trying to eat your soul and give you cancerous AIDS.

Having said that, your experiment indicates that you do not understand how science works.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well..there is a lot of sodium in soda so it may contribute to a gain in weight.

But it is an impossibility that it caused a gain in FAT

There is a huge difference between weight gain..and fat gain...and that is the reason i don't use a scale to measure success.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    That is very possible. Read this:

CBS) Sorry, soda lovers - even diet drinks can make you fat.

That's the word from authors of two new studies, presented Sunday at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised" Dr. Helen Hazuda, professor of medicine at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, said in a written statement. "They may be free of calories, but not of consequences."

Consequences like weight gain.

For one study, researchers at the center followed 474 diet soda drinkers, 65 to 74 years of age, for almost 10 years. They found that diet soda drinkers' waists grew 70 percent more than non-drinkers. Specifically, drinking two or more diet sodas a day busted belt sizes five times more than people who avoided the stuff entirely.

And as waist size grows, so do health risks - including diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20075358-10391704/new-study-is-wake-up-call-for-diet-soda-drinkers/

A study like that is so bull****. They don't account for any other factors. Perhaps SOME people who avoid soda also are more health concious? Maybe if someone is drinking 2+ servings of soda per day, maybe they are eating more fast food?

Ugh, correlation does NOT EQUAL causation
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Never drank diet but I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks when I switched from soda to water :)
    That's a lot of soda you were drinking! Since each pound is roughly 3500 calories, that would mean your soda intake was around 35,000 calories every two weeks. If you are talking about 12-ounce cans, they are approx. 150 calories each. That would mean 233 cans of soda in a two-week period, or well over 16 cans of soda a day.

I feel pretty confident you did more than just cut out soda to lose 10 pounds. I'm not trying to pick on you. I think it's great you lost weight. But it's misleading and can give people false hope and create frustration to make statements like "I gave up soda and lost 10 pounds in two weeks." I know you're trying to be helpful. But so many people want so desperately to find a shortcut, an easy answer. And they will believe ideas like only cutting out soda will cause a 5 pound/week weight loss. Sure, it's possible, but unlikely (see math above).

A more accurate - and infinitely more helpful suggestion might be something like "I drank a lot of soda, which was high in calories. I quit soda, started exercising and eating better, and lost weight. For me, soda was empty calories that I just didn't need, and now with a little effort, I'm 10 pounds lighter."

Of course, keeping everything constant and eliminating calories of *anything* will result in weight loss. But there isn't a magic item. I do think soda can be a good place to start if someone is drinking a lot of them, because there is a variety of replacements.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So this weekend we were out and about far away from home and we ended up needing to eat out. I thought hum, a diet coke for lunch will not hurt that much. What happened? When I did my daily weigh in first thing in the morning I weighed in 3 pounds heavier then the day before. It takes about two days for the weight to come back off. I'm shocked that my body is so sensitive to diet soda. Who would have thought?

You probably gained 3 pounds from the sodium in the restaurant food, not from one diet soda.

And my being overweight has nothing at all to do with artifical sweeteners. I hate the taste and never ingest them. And, yes, I can tell if there is an artificial sweetener in something I eat, even if I don't know before I try it.

BLECH.