Paleo..... your thoughts?

Options
Looking for opinions on going Paleo. I'm marathon training right now, so my thoughts are to KEEP the potatoes, rice, corn, and beans -- all foods in their original, natural form. But in addition to marathon training, I lift. No puny weights for me!!! Anyone enjoy Paleo? Notice a difference in endurance? Improved physique? If you've tried this, is it all or none!?

For reference -- my stats are 5'1"... 134 lbs... and I eat 1800 cals a day. Work out 6x a week: 2 days lifting, 3 days HIIT with Cross Fit circuits with a trainer, one long run on weekends for marathon prep.

Share your thoughts!!!

Replies

• larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My 25 year old son swears by that lifestyle. He runs, lifts, etc. He has also slimmed down he doesn't really need to lose weight he is trying to build muscle. I just ordered "The Primal Blueprint" book through Amazon, haven't cracked it yet :/ From what little I do know I think it would be a great way of life, I just refuse to live without bread now and then. LOL
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about it too! Seems like the decrease in carbs would be really tough but I haven't actually tried to sit down and plan any actual meals out. I suppose I need to do that and see how I think it might work. I have read any books on the diet. Just reviewed some of the information on the web.

Good luck on your goals!!!!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Potatoes rice and corn are very high glycaemic index, they are not overly nutritious foods and AFAIK humans have not been eating corn that long. Beans and lentils are crammed with minerals and great for keeping the blood sugar stable which you need on long runs so you don't hit the wall, sweet potatoes are more nutritious than white ones. Remember you sweat out extra minerals with a regular fitness regime and your needs for all micronutrients and antioxidants are increased significantly not just the macros. It is possible to be healthy without grains providing you eat far more nuts, seeds, beans and lentils. If you also go dairy free be sure to plan how you are going to replace the calcium, it is a key mineral in muscle contraction not just bone health.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I eat beans and some things off limits....somebody once said I am 70% paleo....whatever that means.
    When it comes to eating, I like lean meats, fresh fruit and veggies, nuts, whole grains and real dairy.
    I don't think I could manage this 100%.
  • ajoyfulyoga
    Options
    I have been eating this way for years (Paleo) and absolutely LOVE it! I now keep the weight off much more easily, and feel a thousand times better too with no bloating, excellent digestion & elimination as well as overall better energy! I highly recommend it! I rarely eat corn or potatoes though, and stick with yams and brown rice.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A month of eating paleo landed me in the hospital. Just got out yesterday. No thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How are you doing paleo if you eat those? What would be 'paleo-like' about your diet?
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My 37 year old daughter is featured in Paleo Miracle; she has been Paleo for almost 2 years and swears by it. I cook a lot of Paleo recipes but have failed to totally give up grains. I am getting there! Aside from a pizza now and then, my partner and I have given up wheat. I'd really like to do better; I think I'd really lose weight faster going full Paleo.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    As far as diets go, I don't think paleo is too bad. I just love dairy too much to ever consider it.
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    Not trying to steer you away from MFP, but these forums are strictly suited for a Paleo lifestyle ... lots of good info and support.

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/

http://cavemanforum.com/

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/forum-2/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/tags/paleo.html
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Remove the paleo name and it sounds fine. That diet is not paleo- it's a whole-foods based diet.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Any diet that does not allow coffee can suck it!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Primal for about 4 months and love it!! I'm not so sure that you can really go Paleo/Primal while keeping those food items in your diet - the methodology behind both plans do not include grains and legumes, so unless you are only eating them maybe 10-15% of the time, you really aren't eating primal. Perhaps a Whole Foods Diet would work better for you.

There is a Primal/Paleo Support group on MFP and there have been quite a few threads about training for marathons while eating Primal. People seem to train and run marathons while eating Primal without any problems. the increased energy levels you have while eating Primal typically compensate for the limited carb intake, although, I believe that they do provide some allowances before and after training really hard. Perhaps you may want to join the group and read some of the threads - If you haven't read The Primal Blueprint, you may want to check that out as well.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I was full paleo for about a year. It did not improve my physique or physical endurance whatsoever, but a few other health related concerns improved.

I would say if your happy with what you are doing, stick with it! And if your concerned about improving your shape, watch your calorie deficit and macros.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Looking for opinions on going Paleo. I'm marathon training right now, so my thoughts are to KEEP the potatoes, rice, corn, and beans -- all foods in their original, natural form. !

i don't understand? are you going to eat uncooked potatoes and rice??
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy grains and legumes and dairy, then paleo is not for you.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    A month of eating paleo landed me in the hospital. Just got out yesterday. No thanks.

I doubt that was it. You should probably avoid sharing misinformation for now and try to find out what really landed you in the hospital.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I doubt that was it. You should probably avoid sharing misinformation for now and try to find out what really landed you in the hospital.

Not saying it would happen to everyone. But yes, it was it. That's the doctors' guess anyway because the MRI showed no abnormalities. Ever since starting on the paleo diet a little over a month ago I began experiencing mild light-headedness and dizziness, which I ignored because I attributed it to simply a new manifestation of neurological problems I have been dealing with my whole life. Over the past couple weeks it began getting worse, going as far as seizure-like symptoms. Getting EEG next week. MRI and CT scan done while in hospital shows normal. Doctor strongly advised I go off the paleo diet however since that was when things started getting bad.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Did it for a few months about a year ago. Didn't see any improvement in heath or physique but I already ate a healthy whole foods diet as I do again now. Paleo is a healthy diet but not more so than a diet of whole, nutritionally dense foods and it can be very difficult to comply with due to it's somewhat restricitve nature.

The exception to this is if you have grain/ gluten/ diary sensitivities. If that is the case, it can be a very good diet for reducing the inflamation factors. For me, the restrictions seems large and the benefits seemed slight compared to a nutrient sense whole food diet. So, I discontinued it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    With any diet, the problem is incorporating it and making it convenient to your lifestyle and something you'll stick with over time. Go for it...worse that can happen is that you find out it's not for you. Everyone is designed a little different so figure out what works for you.