Paleo..... your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A month of eating paleo landed me in the hospital. Just got out yesterday. No thanks.

Modern agricultural production methods can leave foods lacking in vital nutrients. You could probably try it again, but make sure you are supplementing on occasion with vitamin c, vitamin d, and trace minerals. You were probably lacking in copper or magnesium or calcium or all three. Anyone who lives north of the mason-dixon line needs extra vitamin d in the winter.
  • cokers4life
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&feature=share

I just watched this video on the hunter/gatherer diet. Quite inspiring. I have been thinking hard about the paleo diet. Grains and milk is hard for me to give up. Anyone else had this issue? Is it okay to cheat once a week. I am IFing too.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but I highly recommend it. Any diet centered around whole natural foods is a decent step in the right direction.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: Why?
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I highly recomend reading the book "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll. He trains for Ultra Iron Man events on a vegan diet, awesome book and has lots of food tips that could help you on your paleo diet and marathon quest. I am following a mostly vegan diet that allows only venison and salmon 4-5 meals per week. No dairy, no eggs. I am training for the Lake Placid Iron Man in July. I feel great, weight is coming steadily off and my energy level is high. I ran 15 miles today with no problems.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great plan but not right for me at this time in my life. I have stabilized my weight and know how to navigate eating anywhere anytime (from the farmer's market to the dreaded airport to the fancy business meals).. if you are in a an environment to eat Paleo, why not?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: Why not?
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love grains - they do not love me, hair loss, bloating and skin rashes. I keep chipping away at going paleo and so far i have had only good things, i still have dairy but it either raw milk and proper cheese or nothing. I feel good, i eat a ton of vegs my skin looks great and the weight is coming off. Do your reading, give it 21 days and then make a decision. The world will not end if you do not like it. :)
  • klp63
    klp63 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sounds like another dumb diet to me.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    A month of eating paleo landed me in the hospital. Just got out yesterday. No thanks.

Modern agricultural production methods can leave foods lacking in vital nutrients. You could probably try it again, but make sure you are supplementing on occasion with vitamin c, vitamin d, and trace minerals. You were probably lacking in copper or magnesium or calcium or all three. Anyone who lives north of the mason-dixon line needs extra vitamin d in the winter.

I would love to hear about the mechanism whereby eating paleo landed somebody in the hospital.

As for supplements, I tend to believe you shouldn't have to supplement a healthy diet. I think that if you eat a large enough variety of paleo foods, & definitely hit the fish, organ meats, & veggies that you'd be nutritionally fine on Paleo.

Based on contingencyplan's profile, it sounds like he explicitly does not eat in variety. The supplementation in processed food probably makes that possible, but it might not be healthy with whole foods.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Eat high quality food. Test the macros for you, personally, and your training style. Keep a log. Whatever works best, stick with. That's all anyone can say, really. Best of luck.
  • kderango
    Options
    No way, not when you are training for a marathon. Runners needs at least 55% of their calories from carbs, 60% is better.

If you drive that percentage too low you are going to blow through your glycogen stores during your runs. When those are depleted you "hit the wall" or "bonk".

Bonking is a *miserable* grind on a 12 mile training run.

Bonking during a marathon will be one of the worst physical experiences of your life. I know this from experience. You do not want each step of the last 6 miles to feel like "2 exits, no waiting" could happen any second. Or that any moment you could pass out. Or that your legs could suddenly seize up and stop working. Or have a splitting head ache set in and know that you still have 6 miles left and no are probably going 12 - 14 minutes/mile. That's 70-90 minutes of hell. All those things happen when you bonk during a marathon. It really, really sucks.

You need to eat carbs if you run.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I highly recomend reading the book "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll. He trains for Ultra Iron Man events on a vegan diet, awesome book and has lots of food tips that could help you on your paleo diet and marathon quest. I am following a mostly vegan diet that allows only venison and salmon 4-5 meals per week. No dairy, no eggs. I am training for the Lake Placid Iron Man in July. I feel great, weight is coming steadily off and my energy level is high. I ran 15 miles today with no problems.

Vegan diet in which you can eat meat almost every day. Sounds good. Very vegan.

I'm paleo but I also eat grains, dairy, legumes, corn, rice, graham crackers, ice cream, cookies....... I'm also vegan but I eat chicken, fish, beef, pork, rhinocoseroseses, wombats,......

Actually, messing with your diet to see how different foods affect your performance is a great idea. There's nothing wrong with trying different ways of eating and seeing how they work for you. I read an article pimping ultra-marathon badass Scott Jurek's vegan running book where he says he found that "for him" he performed better when he ate vegan so he eats vegan. Try it and see. I think the problem most have with paleo or vegan or whatthefckever is that there are those ultra vocal proponents of those diets/lifestyles that proselytise that it is the only way you can be healthy. Those people put a bad taste in the mouths of others who believe you should eat whatever contributes to your personal goals and lifestyle whether or not some random *kitten* who wrote a book says that Piltdown Man ate it or not. Doesn't mean there's anything per se wrong with the diet itself.
  • ropogo
    ropogo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i've been eating largely paleo-friendly since May. i haven't fully committed to that lifestyle, but thats mostly because i've never been an all or nothing kind of guy. when i eat at home, i tend to be significantly better at making paleo choices (minus the splash of milk in my morning coffee).

but i did find it very hard eating out (not many paleo options near me) and in social situations (dinner with friends and family). i've made my own little compromise: rather than just never eating out or annoying my loved ones with my dietary restrictions i've chosen to make the best meal decisions possible in those instances and try not to worry too much if i have a small amount of cheese, pasta, etc.

as long as i don't get into the habit of those allowances, i've noticed many positive changes in my body and energy levels. weight is coming off. i now sleep solidly through the night and wake up refreshed. i have more energy than before. and not to mention, i am very rarely hungry.

you can always try eating paleo for a while and see if you notice a change. give it 30 days if you can (trying not to slip up too much) and see if it works for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

I'm paleo but I also eat grains, dairy, legumes, corn, rice, graham crackers, ice cream, cookies....... I'm also vegan but I eat chicken, fish, beef, pork, rhinocoseroseses, wombats,......

Actually, messing with your diet to see how different foods affect your performance is a great idea. There's nothing wrong with trying different ways of eating and seeing how they work for you. I read an article pimping ultra-marathon badass Scott Jurek's vegan running book where he says he found that "for him" he performed better when he ate vegan so he eats vegan. Try it and see. I think the problem most have with paleo or vegan or whatthefckever is that there are those ultra vocal proponents of those diets/lifestyles that proselytise that it is the only way you can be healthy. Those people put a bad taste in the mouths of others who believe you should eat whatever contributes to your personal goals and lifestyle whether or not some random *kitten* who wrote a book says that Piltdown Man ate it or not. Doesn't mean there's anything per se wrong with the diet itself.
    Nah, that's just too damn logical.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Nah, that's just too damn logical.
    That's why I haven't written a book and made millions on it.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

lol....you did it wrong , been paleo for 12 weeks, love it!!! so delish, lots of nutrients and no crap!!!!
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

As I said I am following a "MOSTLY" vegan diet. I eat 6 times a day and 5 of those meals are vegan, only one meal I allow myself around 8 oz of either venison ( I hunt and have a freezer full) or salmon. Some day I may give that up too, once my freezer is empty that is. All I know is that since I gave up all dairy, eggs, sugar, peanuts, soy and corn I feel 100% better and my training has improved dramatically. I no longer have inflamation in my joints and recovery is much quicker.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

lol....you did it wrong , been paleo for 12 weeks, love it!!! so delish, lots of nutrients and no crap!!!!

Did you bother reading his post explaining why are would you rather just be glib at his expense?
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sounds like another dumb diet to me.

It's a lifestyle choice, not a diet.