Has anyone been successful without becoming a Gym Bunny?

Options
Not that I am looking to become a lazy so and so ( again) but this question has rolled round in my head for a few days now?

Replies

• T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Define gym bunny
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define successful. The amount of effort you put in is proportionate to the results you achieve.

Without busting your *kitten* in the gym and at the dinner table, 'average' is the best you can hope for. For most, that's good enough. However, why settle for just passable? ;)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 70 pounds at age 53 and she never joined a gym. She did change her eating and walk/run almost everyday.

So I don't think it's a must, but it can help people a lot.

I'm currently still too afraid to work out in front of people so i'm just walking for now until I build up enough confidence to join one.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit like a broken record on this one...I refuse to join a gym - I hate them. Even at the peak of my fitness in my late teens I hated it and refused to go.

I have a stationary bike or DVD's at home for if its dark or bad weather but generally I go outside to workout. Jogging, cycling and walking mostly. I've also got some weights at home and I do body weight exercises too.

I dont see any reason why I'll ever have to join a gym - if theres ever something on offer there I want I'd be better off buying the equipment at home - it's a better use of my money most things you can get relatively cheap second hand on ebay and for the price of 2-3months gym membership I've got a gym at home I can use at any time for free forever!!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym but I do lots of exercise, walking , running (couch to 5k) 30 day shred and at the moment lots of swimming (I'm doing a swimming challenge so going to the pool more than normal). I'm only a couple of pounds up on you but it is coming off now. I don't think you need to go to a gym, it depends what suits you. I would like to do more strength training and I think that is more of a challenge if you don't go to the gym
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Also define successful :)

There are lots and lots of stories on here about people losing weight by eating healthily and/or walking/running working out at home/using DVDs etc

If successful is losing weight then answer is yes

If successful is getting fit then answer is yes

If successful is even building muscle then answer is yes - you can lift weights at home or even do body weight exercises.

The gym isn't the be all and end all - but sometimes the kit there can make your journey more efficient - if you want to build lean muscle mass and have no weights at home you're probably going to achieve faster results lifting at the gym as opposed to doing what you can at home.

Horse for courses init :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont gym and i have lost weight sufficiently.

there are plenty of things you can do at home with just minimal equipment.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I havent stepped foot ever in a gym. Look at my ticker :laugh:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Have not stepped one foot in a gym. Not ever.

I have all I need at home... small things. Kettle bells, hand weights, foot weights, resistance bands, balance board, fit ball, foam roller, zumba dvds, total flex (cost me a packet & I hardly use it) & running shoes (for my running)

no need to go to a gym at all. I've lost all this in almost 8 months & toned up great. Don't waste your money on a gym if you can help it.....
  • Hiccup90
    Hiccup90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what is best for you. Currently I do Zumba. I've lost about 14 in 2 and a half weeks with it before. I just do it in my bedroom. I have the dvds and the game on the wii.

Some people need to go to the gym because they need the motivation. To see a girl with a stunning body running on the treadmill infront of you and they say to themselves 'I want to be like that' so it pushes them.

The gym is expensive but it's got a lot of different equipment and classes. I used to go to the gym and I enjoyed it but I think you can get the same results from working out at home too.
  • stephenjswann
    stephenjswann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Portion control, alcohol reduction, walking and cycling... ticker is ticking along nicely and I only started this regime 11 weeks ago. The gym has played no part in my weight loss.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I found that you can do a lot at home while losing. Gyms are useful to maximize body composition (heavier weights), and for low impact cross-training.

I'm so happy, though, that I can do things with weights at home when I only want to spend 30 minutes on working out (and not 1.5 hours, which it costs me for a 50 minute workout, counting travel, changing, etc. And I always want to extend those 50 mins, at the gym. I'll want to do a ten minute spot on a rowing machine, or work in an extra leg exercise, that kind of thing.)
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym. I have a weird thing about working out in front of other people, I don't have the money to join a gym anyway.
    I own a crosstrainer (£15 from ebay) and DVDs. I'm always walking because of my dogs but I go running and I have weights at home and also do body weight exercises. I don't think you need a gym :)
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Success in this question to me is losing the amount of weight you wanted/got down to the size or shape you wanted/ changed your fat% to the healthier range you wanted.

Gym Bunny to me is a person who goes to the gym at least 3 times a week, usually 5/6. I would even go so far to say someone who does not go to a gym but exercises more than 3 times a week.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Gym Bunny to me is a person who goes to the gym at least 3 times a week, usually 5/6. I would even go so far to say someone who does not go to a gym but exercises more than 3 times a week.

Well then I'd be classed as a gym bunny without every going to a gym? I workout 7 days a week...have done the whole time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Gym is a relatively inexpensive/efficient way of getting exercise of different types - but if you do not enjoy it, it's a waste of time and effort. I'm mixed about it because it can mean I need 2/3 memberships with all my travel. I still go, or get hotels with access.

But it's a cheap health insurance and compared to my addiction to bikes, waaaay cheaper.
    I think I could buy myself 3 lifetime memberships if I sold all my bikes.

You can get healthy, fit, ripped, lose weight without a gym - just like you can put a nail in the wall without a claw hammer. But a claw hammer is a mighty fine tool. Choose your hammer and then hammer!

Edit: by the def. above I'm a gym bunny. Lol.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I don't do gymn. I use my own body resistance to maintain muscles, apart from some warm-ups I do with home dumbbells and I follow the Insanity Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs but don't follow the whole Insanity DVD suite. I attend yoga classes twice a week and homoe practise yoga every day.

Weather and conditions permitting I get a barefoot beach run of 30 minutes and run stright into the sea and swim for about 30 minutes - I need the run before the swim to get hot enough to stand the sea temperature!

So - no gym, no lifting barbells and I have lost a stone and one and a half stones to go.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Success in this question to me is losing the amount of weight you wanted/got down to the size or shape you wanted/ changed your fat% to the healthier range you wanted.

So what you're really asking is can you be successful without exercising. By you definition of successful the simple answer is no. You can lose fat AND muscle and end up looking weedy but at your goal weight without exercising yes, but you cant get the size/shape and body fat % you want without exercise.

Sorry.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

So what you're really asking is can you be successful without exercising. By you definition of successful the simple answer is no. You can lose fat AND muscle and end up looking weedy but at your goal weight without exercising yes, but you cant get the size/shape and body fat % you want without exercise.

Sorry.

^^^ What Emma said.
    Why would you want to anyway?
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Sorry.

No need to be sorry.

Maybe I should have posted this on a different board and asked if anyone had done, rather on here and ask if it could be done.

Another day maybe