Has anyone been successful without becoming a Gym Bunny?

Options

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gymn...Ok, once with my mum as a Christmas present to her. I actually bought her a spa day and she insisted on going to the gymn >_< Anyway, that being said, before I moved in with my now husband I was 5'10" and weighed 125lb and had quite a bit of deffinition. No gymn. Just being active and doing my own thing. Was hard work, but very fun! I went dancing, rock climbing, hiking and just messed around with the dogs and my sister. Plus I lived in a valley and everywhere was uphill!
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have lost all 60.5lbs just by eating and staying within my calorie range. And an occasional walk with my son and dog in tow. ;) If I can do it you can too!!! I wish I had money to become a Gym Bunny though not going to lie. I need to tone up and have like 11.5 more lbs to go until I hit my goal weight of 125.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Quote: "dreadmill " - I love it. That's going in my book of fitness phrases along with Barb Hell and Dumb Hell along with Gymn Nausium! :bigsmile:
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I just walk every day and do an occasional session of yoga. :) I've lost 25 lbs in a little over three months.
  • mispotatohead
    mispotatohead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I really don't like formal exercise and have gotten to goal weight without it. That being said, I am naturally active and often ride a bike, dance around the house, walk, garden, rollerblade and swim. I guess those are forms of exercise but I find them enjoyable so in my mind they don't count.

I will say that the older I've gotten the more my body wants to turn to mush and I think that some sort of strength and toning program is going to become necessary.

You have to find what works best for you. If you don't enjoy it you won't do it on a regular basis.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Define gym bunny
    Define successful too...

You can lose weight without working out, but it helps you look better for sure! Not to mention all the other benefits of cardio and strength training...
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by Gym Bunny, and if this entails NO exercise. I am not a memeber of a Gym but I work out at home. Walking, Zumba DvDs, 30 Day Shred, etc. I have found that I may maintain but with out exercise the eating heatlhy does not completly do it for me!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I really don't like formal exercise and have gotten to goal weight without it. That being said, I am naturally active and often ride a bike, dance around the house, walk, garden, rollerblade and swim. I guess those are forms of exercise but I find them enjoyable so in my mind they don't count.

And you are at an advantage because of it :) Adults who forget how to "play" in their every day lives, and enjoy being active, are forced to find an exercise routine in order to stay in shape.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, if by your question you mean "losing weight without going to the gym". I do exercise, however, with the help of YouTube clips and some DVDs I bought. Weight loss without exercise is not possible for me.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lost 110 pounds and I never go to the gym... walking.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes...I exercise at home..Jillian Michaels, other dvds, walking, and running. I havent had a gym membership at all!!
    Just healthy eating and at least 30 mins a day!
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Never been to the gym either. Lost over 120lbs. All on the bike and good food :-)
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    If you men without exercising at all you have to say what you mean as successful, you can absolutely lose weight with only eating right. The risk these it so get "skinny-fat", slimmer with too high fat % and to low muscle %.

But if you mean without working out at the gym, absolutely! No problem! You can be super fit with home exercises.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How much does a gym membership cost? A decent second hand bicycle costs like £100 (no idea what that is in dollar), and walking costs nothing. If you are overweight, walking and cycling for an hour a day will help you be successful (as long as you eat well too). If you're not overweight, you might need something more to tone up further.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    There's no need to pay for a monthly gym membership in my opinion. I've had great success with at home workout DVDs. P90X and Insanity. Looking into some other Beachbody workouts too when I finish up the program I'm doing now!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the fierce resistance to exercise.

Actually... I do understand it, because it was me. I hated gym class in elementary and high school, because I was a wimp and unpopular... so it was just an hour long "exercise" in humiliation.

But eventually, I just decided to suck it up and do it. If I had a physically demanding lifestyle, it might not be necessary, but I don't have to plow fields or walk for miles hunting deer then carrying the body home or churn my own butter or take my clothes to the river to beat them against a rock. I have a cushy life, and my body needs more physical exertion than sitting on my *kitten* clicking buttons.

So I run three times a week, and lift weights three times a week. I run outside, and I bought my weight set for about the cost of a few months' gym membership.

It's as much of my routine as showering or brushing my teeth.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely get results without going to the gym. You just eat at a calorie deficit.

You won't, however, have nice muscles and strong cardiovascular capabilities ( The cardiovascular comment is assuming you're doing absolutely NOTHING. Not even taking walks).

I love lifting weights and doing my cardio because it gives me a sense of accomplishment and when I see the transformation of my body it makes it even more worth it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would join a gym is so that I can workout without the interruptions I get at home....but the reason I can't join a gym is because I would never have enough time to spend there due to family life restrictions.

So I workout at home, which I like... apart from being disturbed!!!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Define gym bunny

^What she said...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym... yet. I've lost almost 40lbs and all I did was eat right & move more. Howeverrrr,, I move a LOT more. I started out walking last Dec. then started jogging and then biking after I broke my foot last May. I just started jogging again using C25K and I'm positive I will finish it, then go on to 'run' a few races for the FUN of it, or maybe just to DO it and know I did. :)

Anyway, I don't know if you don't want to exercise, don't know what to do or just dont want to go to a gym, but you can find ways to exercise without going to one. I did it but I'm planning on going to the local Y to lift weights so I look better and get even stronger!

Good luck. You will find something.