Clean eating condiments?

Options
Whilst when I cook a meal from scratch I never use condiments, when I cook up some steak or chicken on it's own I'm not sure of any 'clean' condiments I can use so was looking for suggestions.

I'm not 100% clean eating but I do like to for the majority so would be interested, even if it's recipes to make your own versions of regular ones.

Thanks

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    dafuq?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    heinz.jpg

^^^cleaner than the red stuff
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're serious, there are a few paleo sites that will give you recipes for home-made sauces which can be 'clean'.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Whilst when I cook a meal from scratch I never use condiments, when I cook up some steak or chicken on it's own I'm not sure of any 'clean' condiments I can use so was looking for suggestions.

I'm not 100% clean eating but I do like to for the majority so would be interested, even if it's recipes to make your own versions of regular ones.

Thanks

Condiments even homemade ones are not clean. Take homemade mayo for example, the oil is processed and therefore unclean and terrible for you.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    sriracha
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    sriracha

while that will definitely clean you out if you eat enough, I don't think that's what she was talking about.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Bacon.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into making my own condiments (once the others run out). Regardless of the oil being refined or not, I don't agree that canola or soy oil is healthy. I can make mayo with extra virgin olive oil or minimally refined nut oils (I'm thinking macadamia oil!). I also don't think it's healthy that my processed mayo can sit in the fridge and never go bad. Healthy foods are perishable.

There are lots of great condiment recipes in many paleo/primal cook books.

To those who have some issue against the "clean eating" concept, why bother reading this thread? "Clean" eating helps many people with serious health issues and even if it didn't, it certainly won't make anyone's health any worse!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Do not accept dinner invitation from bristolpaste ... based.

Eating "clean" is fine - whatever that means.
    But trying to tack on some pseudo-medical reason to it?

And the idea that condiments are going to ruin your "clean". Mostly silly.
    The reason people post to these threads is that in our not so humble opinion the decisions being proposed do not make that much sense and we are expressing that opinion.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    To those who have some issue against the "clean eating" concept, why bother reading this thread? "Clean" eating helps many people with serious health issues and even if it didn't, it certainly won't make anyone's health any worse!

Orthorexia...
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    why not salsa?
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    A little ketchup or mustard or steak sauce never hurt anybody.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

To those who have some issue against the "clean eating" concept, why bother reading this thread?

Because people have a misunderstanding that partitioning their food into "clean" and "unclean" will give them an advantage in weight loss and/or health, when the reality is that they should be looking at nutritive content, among other things.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Manuka honey & wholegrain mustard are great together as a marinade to bake meat in, I'm having those over some salmon tonight, mmm!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    a) Make your own dry spice mixes (this is what i do for tacos)
    b) Sriracha sauce is the king of condiments and I can't really think of how it is "unclean"
    c) Stone ground mustard with raw honey is pretty amazing.

I'm not going to comment on the definition of "clean" so I'm giving you ideas for condiments that are minimally processed and don't contain lab-created ingredients.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a thread I posted a while back about making mayonnaise - it's easy, and since a little goes a long way, a few minutes of work will yield enough to last for weeks!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373973-homemade-mayonnaise-bring-out-the-very-best?hl=coconut+oil+mayonnaise&page=1#posts-5829489

This recipe uses coconut and olive oils, but I've had good results with both rendered lard and bacon grease. You can use whatever oil/fat you consider healthiest; some have a stronger flavor than others (for example, I don't like mayonnaise made with 100% olive oil), but if you like the taste of the plain oil, chances are you'll like it in mayonnaise.

What kinds of condiments do you like to use? Make a list and then search for recipes for each that you can try making at home. Even if they turn out badly, you might be able to use them up by adding them to recipes where they're not the star ingredient. Good luck!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

To those who have some issue against the "clean eating" concept, why bother reading this thread?

Because people have a misunderstanding that partitioning their food into "clean" and "unclean" will give them an advantage in weight loss and/or health, when the reality is that they should be looking at nutritive content, among other things.

Not everyone uses MFP for weight loss, some are interested in being healthier by limiting ingredients from unnatural sources
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    sriracha

This! I put that s^%$ on everything!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Orthorexia...

Thanks, learned a new term for what I see often enough here.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Condiments even homemade ones are not clean. Take homemade mayo for example, the oil is processed and therefore unclean and terrible for you.

snort