• Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    bump^^
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    a) this is a blog post on someone's tumblr, not an article

b) they are describing a tdee-based approach to calorie deficits which is a perfectly good approach (and in fact the one i follow)

But comparing this to MFP is sort of apples and oranges. The MFP calorie target is not TDEE; it's an estimate of daily activity sans exercise; therefore when following the MFP calorie target, one SHOULD eat back the exercise calories.

So, pick one - Eat a flat TDEE sans deficit; or Eat the MFP target + exercise calories. You don't mix and match both.

If you go by the MFP number and don't "eat back exercise calories", then you're doing it wrong.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I eat as little as I can stand every day. Sometimes that includes my exercise calories, sometimes not. What I don't like is people telling others what they should and should not do.

A better topic would have been: Why I Don't Eat Back Exercise Calories.

I disagree. People should lose weight in a healthy way, not just whichever way works. Would you complain about a topic being "Why you should not eat rat poison" vs "Why I should not eat rat poison?" Probably not.

If you eat your exercise calories back and you're not making progress toward your goal, it means your numbers are off. You're not accurately logging food or exercise, or your energy requirements are off, or both. This is assuming you're going by the MFP method of net calories, and not the average TDEE method.

I'm not saying that it won't work, but people who say "I don't lose weight if I eat my exercise calories" are mistaken. A more accurate statement is that without exercise they don't create a very big deficit and don't lose weight.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

If you eat your exercise calories back and you're not making progress toward your goal, it means your numbers are off. You're not accurately logging food or exercise, or your energy requirements are off, or both. This is assuming you're going by the MFP method of net calories, and not the average TDEE method.

I'm not saying that it won't work, but people who say "I don't lose weight if I eat my exercise calories" are mistaken. A more accurate statement is that without exercise they don't create a very big deficit and don't lose weight.

Good point. My TDEE without exercise is only 1600. Since MFP won't suggest less than 1200, then my deficit is only 400. If I want a larger deficit, then I have to exercise without eating back the calories. Does that sound better?
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    NEVER eat bananas.
    Why would you not want to eat a little load of vitamins and minerals? I don't even like the things, but I eat them because they're such excellent little all natural vitamin pills.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    NEVER eat bananas.
    Why would you not want to eat a little load of vitamins and minerals? I don't even like the things, but I eat them because they're such excellent little all natural vitamin pills.

I think of bananas as sugar sticks.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    roflmfao.jpg?w=640
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

b) they are describing a tdee-based approach to calorie deficits which is a perfectly good approach (and in fact the one i follow)

But comparing this to MFP is sort of apples and oranges. The MFP calorie target is not TDEE; it's an estimate of daily activity sans exercise; therefore when following the MFP calorie target, one SHOULD eat back the exercise calories.

So, pick one - Eat a flat TDEE sans deficit; or Eat the MFP target + exercise calories. You don't mix and match both.

If you go by the MFP number and don't "eat back exercise calories", then you're doing it wrong.

this!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise and try to avoid the pies.

It simplifies things for me greatly.

I also eat a large banana daily, top nutrition :)
  • hmm banana isnt the same as a lollipop.

Anyway...

I eat back my calories. I am 188 lbs. On a sedentary level I need a little over 2000 calories to maintain this weight. I set my calorie goal to 1500 calories. Even at my goal of 120 lbs I need at least 1600 calories to maintain that weight.

If I eat 1500 calories and then burn 500 calories working out I am looking at netting 1000 calories for that day. A deficit of 1000 calories a day! A little too much weight loss for me thank you. If I keep going that way I will reach starvation mode. So yes. I eat some of my calories back.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    hmm banana isnt the same as a lollipop.

You're right. There's usually less sugar in a lollipop.
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options

^^This
  • chivalryder
    Options

It's also a completely different type of sugar - fructose instead of sucrose. Sucrose is broken down incredibly quickly in your digestive tract. Fructose breaks down nearly as slowly as protein. They will both have a very, very different effect on your body.

You cannot get a sugar high from eating bananas.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! NEW AND EXCITING NEWS FROM INTERNET CLICK HERE AND CLAIM YOUR ***FREE*** PRIZE YOU ARE A WINNER
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    "I disagree. People should lose weight in a healthy way, not just whichever way works. Would you complain about a topic being "Why you should not eat rat poison" vs "Why I should not eat rat poison?" Probably not. "

Wow. If you think the answer to this question is as clear cut as whether or not to eat rat poison, then have I got some broscience for you!
  • AngryDiet
    Options

It's also a completely different type of sugar - fructose instead of sucrose. Sucrose is broken down incredibly quickly in your digestive tract. Fructose breaks down nearly as slowly as protein. They will both have a very, very different effect on your body.

Sorry, I'm a macro kinda guy. I don't care about all that bro science... and to be clear, what you posted may or may not be bro science. Point is, I really have no way of knowing.

Hey, I eat lots of sugar. I'm not that fussy. But I do skip the bananas to get my carbs in more pleasurable ways.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Sorry, I'm a macro kinda guy. I don't care about all that bro science... and to be clear, what you posted may or may not be bro science. Point is, I really have no way of knowing.

Hey, I eat lots of sugar. I'm not that fussy. But I do skip the bananas to get my carbs in more pleasurable ways.

Can't argue with that! I like my chocolate which too has a lot of carbs, but are jacked full of good things like anti-oxidants (mind you, I only eat dark because I have issues with dairy).

There's a reason why you see all of the cyclists in the Tour de France scarfing down bananas all day long!! They're also full of potassium which is vital for strong athletic performance!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    There's a reason why you see all of the cyclists in the Tour de France scarfing down bananas all day long!! They're also full of potassium which is vital for strong athletic performance!

I thought maybe they helped mask the drugs.