I just thought of a post I haven't seen

Options
13»

Replies

• chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat after 6pm, but it's not diet related at all, just pure personal preference.

I think in my case it all stems back to whenever I was pregnant - I used to suffer from evening sickness, so if I hadn't cooked and eaten a meal by 5ish then I didn't eat at all!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I am hungry, I eat. I just try to stay within my calories for the day. I don't eat a LOT close to bedtime, and I usually try to watch what I do eat if I need to eat something a little later in the evening.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything heavy after 6pm and completely cut off by 8pm
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    yes, I stop eating when I fall asleep.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I dont eat peanut butter too late because it gives me heartburn. Only food that does that. I love it at breakfast though. And with apples for a snack.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's 11.30pm and I have a few hundred calories I can afford to eat (lots of exercise today), and I haven't gotten close to my calcium intake, so I'm off to have a yoghurt.

I don't have a problem with eating at any particular time, it's more about meeting my requirements when I can. I'm going to fall under on calcium and fibre today, but most of the time I meet them so I don't think it will be a big deal for once to come quite a fair way under. Not a bad idea to have a quick snack before bed though, otherwise I may wake up starving and make bad choices to fill that void.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I deliberately save calories for 9pm, or after... I take my medication, which makes me hu gry every time without fail, if I don't save calories I will go over. It doesn't seem to have had any effect on my losses x
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    My cut off is usually 6pm. Sometimes 7 if things are running late or I'm going somewhere for dinner. I don't do this because I think my body won't burn it at night. I do it so I can't nosh on junk food because I'm bored and watching tv.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Cut offs like this only make sense if you are not counting calories as it *might* keep you from snacking and adding extra calories but otherwise it does not matter.
    Eating at night myth 'exploded'

A calorie is a calorie at any time of the day, say experts
    Eating late at night does not make you fat, according to a study.
    Scientists at Oregon Health & Science University in the United States carried out tests on 47 female monkeys.

They found no link between when the animals ate and whether or not they put on weight.

Speaking at a Society for Neuroscience meeting in New Orleans, the scientists said claims that eating late lead to weight gain may be "an urban myth".

"However, weight gain and the time of day that the animals were feeding had no correlation whatsoever."

Nigel Denby of the British Dietetic Association backed the findings.

"The bottom line is a calorie is a calorie whenever you eat it," he told BBC News Online.

"Your body doesn't really recognise what time of day it is. It is a little bit of a myth.

"I think it dates back to when people started taking an interest in diets. People are more likely to eat fatty snacks at night when they are watching television. In order to try to avoid that, they put restrictions on when they should eat.

"Certainly, if you need to eat after 6pm or 8pm it is probably healthier to sit down and have a meal. Otherwise, you risk grazing on fatty foods."
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    There is no cut off time. People wake up at different times of the day. A person who wakes up at 7am and a person who wakes up at 2pm will eat at different times. The 2pm guy has breakfast when the 7am guy has breakfast.
    WHAT?
    The only point is to eat your last meal roughly 3 hours before you sleep and/or eating a snack about 1.5 hours before bed.
    WHAT?
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No cut off time for me...I look at mfp to see If i have any spare calories...If i do...party time....If I don't tough nuts, and I just go to sleep.

^ ^ ^ Me too
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There is no cut off time. People wake up at different times of the day. A person who wakes up at 7am and a person who wakes up at 2pm will eat at different times. The 2pm guy has breakfast when the 7am guy has breakfast.
    WHAT?
    The only point is to eat your last meal roughly 3 hours before you sleep and/or eating a snack about 1.5 hours before bed.
    WHAT?

I iz cornfussed. Was that x before y or z after 1q? It's food, it's not that complicated.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I dig how eating 3 hours before you sleep OR eating 1.5 hours before bed is the ONLY point.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I don't have one because I'm not really a post dinner snacker. I will occasionally have a small treat but since it's only every now and then, I don't worry about what time it is. I will say though that part of this habit is because I found that if I eat too close to bed time I have really crazy (well, crazier) dreams and it's just not worth it.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time I've eaten dinner. Most of the time I try not to eat in the evenings because it will tend to emotional eating or just out of boredom so it may not be very healthy. But if I've eaten dinner early, then I'll try to have some protein before I go to bed - my latest favorite is about 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a tablespoon of either pumpkin or apple butter.
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    [

Not sure how you have not seen this topic before - its a pretty common theme. But anyway, ^^this.
    [/quote]

I haven't seen it before because I spend most of my life at work so I don't get to spend alot of time in the forums. :)
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Seen this topic a million times.

To answer the question, it doesn't matter how late you eat. You just should aim to be awake at least.

Just to clear things up, I haven't seen this topic. I was curious. :p