What you 'should' be eating...

Options

Replies

• lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that rigid diets do not work at all for me (and for most people). Weight loss is biological, of course, but it is also psychological. For me, it is probably more psychological than biological at this point. If I feel deprived, I will ultimately binge and give up. If I allow myself to eat what I really want (in reasonable portions) I won't binge. So, for long term weight loss, I think I really need to let myself eat what I want, go out to restaurants, etc., but just be a little more careful that I have been in the past. So far, this time is working better...the weight might not be coming off as fast as if I were perfect, but I don't feel like I'm deprived. I'm hoping this is something I can sustain long term (at least that's what I'm going for)!

And good advice to the posters who offer unsolicited opinions on other's food...please wait to be asked for your advice before offering it...and then make it good :)

Hugs!

Helen
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet because diets don't work. This is a lifestyle change.
    That's getting posted on my wall.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think everyone needs to do what works for them. Some people can cut out certain foods completely, and some of us need to be able to have those foods sometimes. For example, some people would never have pizza while trying to lose weight. Yesterday I had pizza...two slices! Why? Because I hadn't had pizza in two weeks and I wanted it. I know that if I deny myself I will eventually get sick of it and give up. I just made sure that I was under my calories and I exercised.

Now, would I lose more weight if I didn't have pizza, chocolate, etc.? Probably. But, it's my decision.

I eat pizza at least once a week. If someone is saying no to pizza and yes to lettuce, then that's their problem. Pizza packs in a LOT of nutrition if it's fixed right. On the other hand, lettuce is virtually void of nutrition. I am still losing two pounds a week, so I doubt that eliminating it would help me any. :bigsmile:

I think the biggest issue is that people have different ideas of what "nutrition" actually means.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have their opinion. If you don't want to be criticized, you shouldn't make your diary open, and you should NEVER remove foods to impress people. Then there's no point in even keeping a diary.

That said, I agree that you can have whatever you want and still lose weight. Apologize to no one for the method that's working for you.
  • Sondrazeke
    Options
    Luv - luv - luv your responsible attitude. I predict you will not only get to your weight goal, but you will keep the extra weight off as you are clearly working on a "life style". Thank you for your post - the speed of weight loss and how you choose to achieve it is an individual choice. :flowerforyou:
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When it comes to diet and exercise, you have some people who believe in the 'go all in or go home' philosophy of cutting out all the foods they consider 'bad' and only eating whole, organic, non processed foods and nothing else. While I can appreciate those who do go through that approach, when it comes to creating a healthier lifestyle for yourself there is definitely not a one size fits all category. Plenty of people can eat what they want, through portion control and calorie counting and still lose a ton of weight. Some people can't. It's all about what works for you, don't let what others say deter you from your progress thus far. If it's working for you, don't worry about it.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think we are all on this site for our own reasons, so why criticize someone else. We all have our own goals and it is our own responsiblity to meet those goals. In the end you alone are responsible for the calories you put in your mouth, so why criticize someone else, instead congratulate them on meeting their goals. Life is crazy enough, why bring drama to MFP!

This!!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The diary is there as a tool for you to use. If you don't want anyone to see.....no problem.

I leave mine open because I just don't care what anyone else thinks and I look at peoples diaries for ideas and to help answer their questions.

I do wonder about people who post questions about why their not losing any weight but won't show their diary, height, age current weight, goal weight........ What do they expect suggestions to be based on?
  • laurapariseau
    laurapariseau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear you had negative feedback on this site. I thought the site was for support and encouragement. For me, I get the most support from seeing what others are doing. I take what I want to use, and leave what I don't want to use. I don't think any of us has the right to judge another. In fact, there are rules about that in the guidelines for the site.

That being said, one of the things I love about the food diary is that it breaks down the carbs, protein and fat for you. Carbs are extremely important for our brain health and with out them our bodies can go into shock. Although the site automatically figures your percentages based on profile info, you can go in and change them to what works better for you. For example, I think 50% healthy carbs (which may at times include a tasty dessert), 30% lean protein (sometimes that may be a thick, juicy steak) and 20% healthy fat (olive oil vs butter) works best for my body so I changed my goals to reflect that. I believe balancing these essential macronutrients at each meal will give me the best chance of reaching my goal without feeling deprived.

Another thing I like about the diary, is that you can set it to share only with friends. If someone in your circle criticizes, it is only too easy to unfriend them. I do enough self shaming, I don't need anyone's help.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey and I hope you won't let anyone take you off track.
  • valerieknox
    valerieknox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As someone who's had problems with eating disorders, I like your attitude as well. What we eat is our own business. For me it doesn't work to eat completely "clean" or raw or whatever, it just starts going towards eating disorery thoughts. Health is more than physical health. I feel happier and stronger when I allow myself to eat unhealthy food too. Love is not only nutrition, it's also pleasure. I love eating with a burning passion! And I'd rather be able to enjoy food as long as I keep it in moderation. I also do like to mix pleasure with nutrition as often as I can, and I enjoy raw food cakes. But sometimes I just go for either of them. And it's nobody else's business. I haven't made my diary private, cause honestly I still can't really grasp the concept of someone else trying to lecture me about how I choose to enjoy life.
  • valerieknox
    valerieknox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do enough self shaming, I don't need anyone's help.

Well said!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps sometimes the point people who are losing weight forget that food is something we ingest for energy and nutrients. That's how we got fat in the first place: by forgetting what food is FOR. Rice cakes and lettuce may be low cal but they don't offer a lot in the way of nutrients either, but neither do many of the processed foods we eat to "fill us up" or "reward ourselves." I would literally like to get to the point where I only eat for fuel and nutrition, not for taste or emotional appeal so any time I add something as a treat in my diet with little nutrition, I'm missing the natural point of eating. I'm only saying that because there are two different philosophies on dieting and/or the role of eating, and maybe each person should be clear about theirs when they add friends.

I see some people who are under calories everyday but who have consumed very little in terms of vitamins and nutrients. What's the point of being thin if you're going to have a myriad of other health issues?

While I agree that eating nothing but processed foods is not the best idea, whether you are trying to lose weight or not. Even if you have never had a weight problem, nutrition is important.

But you are making a lot of assumptions here. First of all, not everyone on MFP got fat eating junk. Weight is about calories. If you eat more calories than you burn you'll gain weight, whether the food is processed junk or whole natural foods.

Also, not everyone looks at food as merely a way to nourish our bodies. For many, myself included, food is something to be savored and enjoyed. Special occasions are focused around food. Food is part of celebrations and gatherings of family and friends. This does not have to be lost when losing weight or maintaining a healthy weight.

Enjoying food does not make us less healthy.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i made my diary private for the same reason, people asking "how are you losing weight eating that" but what they don't seem to notice is the AMOUNT of what I am eating. As long as you are within your calorie goals, eat what you want, just in moderation. I lost my goal of 13 pounds in 50 days and have been maintaining for 56 days and sometimes we go out to eat and sometimes i eat ice-cream and somedays i don't even exercise and i even have alcohol occasionally and have not gained back any weight.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think we are all on this site for our own reasons, so why criticize someone else. We all have our own goals and it is our own responsiblity to meet those goals. In the end you alone are responsible for the calories you put in your mouth, so why criticize someone else, instead congratulate them on meeting their goals. Life is crazy enough, why bring drama to MFP!
    You are very wise :smile: I SOOOOO agree!!!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Why is cheese not okay, but Mars Bars are? :huh: If somebody is going to congratulate you on a fitness website for having a mars bar for lunch then that is a website I'd rather not be part of, to be honest! Weight loss and healthy go hand in hand, and if somebody suggests that you stick to natural foods instead of eating processed empty calories that wont fill you up and carry a whole host of negative health implications, then send them my way and I'LL be friends with them. I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

:embarassed:

Really?
    Don't be a hypocrit.
    Looking at your diary from last Saturday, I see bourbon shots, ice cream, pie and 350 'quick added' calories. Wonder what they were from, eh?

Nobody's perfect, keep it mostly on target, especially with your caloric intake and keeping your macros in check, and you'll have success.

LOL, didn't anybody even read my post? I think its perfectly fine to have treats in your diet & I indulge EVER SINGLE WEEKEND in whatever I want, and I often eat dark chocolate or whatever on a regular day.

However, I do NOT advocate somebody preaching about eating junk food. There are so many people on here who want to be healthier and look better and telling them 'oh eat a mars bar for your lunch and you can STILL lose weight!' is not the way to crawl ourselves out of this obesity epidemic we're in! I believe you should eat balanced nutritious meals most of the time and have treats when you want them, but NOT in place of a proper meal which will do your body some good.

I couldn't give a flying **** what anybody says, eating a highly processed lump of milky caramel crap for LUNCH will NOT yield the same results as eating the sort of food the human body was designed to ingest...fruits, veggies, legumes, meats, wholegrains, nuts and seeds.

Even if you lose 'weight' temporarily...is that 'fat', and more importantly, is it fat that is going to STAY gone? If you don't change your ways or work on your relationship with WHY you eat junk in the first place, how are you ever supposed to maintain a healthy figure?

I indulge sometimes as it keeps me sane and allows me to have a normal social life. I never deprive myself of anything that I want. But I've trained myself to crave foods that will do me some good & will work with my body to allow it to work efficiently.

I haven't been sick for three years.

I'd rather skip the lunch-time mars bar, thanks very much. :wink:

If you're going to indulge, don't 'skip' a proper meal to eat a block of sugar...eat your meals and fill your tummy with the stuff it WANTS, and then if you still want it, have a lil something of what you fancy for a *snack*.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think the reason people on your friends list feel at liberty to comment is if you make your diary public. Not saying you, or anyone else shouldn't, but perhaps some people assume that because you make it public to them, that you are welcoming their comments/suggestions.

I recently had someone do this to me as well. I had a pumpkin spice latte that day, and hadn't worked out, so of course I went over my calorie and sugar allowance - but that was the only "bad" thing I had that day. So when I finished my diary, I even put a comment that I know I was a bit bad, but in the future would be striving towards healthier choices.

Someone on my friends was like "wow, you went way over. That latte had a lot of calories!" (or something similar)

The reality was, I was about 200 calories over - hardly anything to stress out about!

I didn't like his comment either, but I brushed it off, bc ultimately, this is about me, myself and my relationship with food.

I do agree though, if someone outside of mfp were to say ANYTHING to me about my food/exercise choices, I would tell them where they could stick it.

The fact is, different things work for different people/body types, and if something is working for someone, who am I to say anything to them?

Some people are just busy bodies!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why is cheese not okay, but Mars Bars are? :huh: If somebody is going to congratulate you on a fitness website for having a mars bar for lunch then that is a website I'd rather not be part of, to be honest! Weight loss and healthy go hand in hand, and if somebody suggests that you stick to natural foods instead of eating processed empty calories that wont fill you up and carry a whole host of negative health implications, then send them my way and I'LL be friends with them. I just don't understand people like you. It is fine to include treats in your diet, but seriously, a mars bar for lunch? And you think you'll get the body & health you're after by doing that?

:embarassed:

Really?
    Don't be a hypocrit.
    Looking at your diary from last Saturday, I see bourbon shots, ice cream, pie and 350 'quick added' calories. Wonder what they were from, eh?

Nobody's perfect, keep it mostly on target, especially with your caloric intake and keeping your macros in check, and you'll have success.

LOL, didn't anybody even read my post? I think its perfectly fine to have treats in your diet & I indulge EVER SINGLE WEEKEND in whatever I want, and I often eat dark chocolate or whatever on a regular day.

However, I do NOT advocate somebody preaching about eating junk food. There are so many people on here who want to be healthier and look better and telling them 'oh eat a mars bar for your lunch and you can STILL lose weight!' is not the way to crawl ourselves out of this obesity epidemic we're in! I believe you should eat balanced nutritious meals most of the time and have treats when you want them, but NOT in place of a proper meal which will do your body some good.

I couldn't give a flying **** what anybody says, eating a highly processed lump of milky caramel crap for LUNCH will NOT yield the same results as eating the sort of food the human body was designed to ingest...fruits, veggies, legumes, meats, wholegrains, nuts and seeds.

Even if you lose 'weight' temporarily...is that 'fat', and more importantly, is it fat that is going to STAY gone? If you don't change your ways or work on your relationship with WHY you eat junk in the first place, how are you ever supposed to maintain a healthy figure?

I indulge sometimes as it keeps me sane and allows me to have a normal social life. I never deprive myself of anything that I want. But I've trained myself to crave foods that will do me some good & will work with my body to allow it to work efficiently.

I haven't been sick for three years.

I'd rather skip the lunch-time mars bar, thanks very much. :wink:

If you're going to indulge, don't 'skip' a proper meal to eat a block of sugar...eat your meals and fill your tummy with the stuff it WANTS, and then if you still want it, have a lil something of what you fancy for a *snack*.

:huh:

I don't follow your logic. You seem to be saying it's okay to eat junk on the weekend, but eating junk at lunch time is bad.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I' m surprised that so many people read other diaries. I rarely do. I couldn't care less about them, a lot of my MFP-friends are on a different continent anyway and I wouoldn't know half the food on their diaries. Besides, what business is it of me to see what someone else eats?
    I'm delighted for them if they get nearer their weight target, or if they did a good workout. But whether they eat lettuce or a mars bar, who cares?

My main purpose for looking at others diaries is to possibly gain new meal ideas! It is wonderful to see tickers going down and being able to see what they are eating to get there!

I do the same thing. Only with those on my friends lists, but I like to get ideas of what other foods options, nutritionally speaking, there are.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha salad. Rice cakes. <insert other random "diet food" here>. Can't remember the last time I ate any of these.

If it fits your goals, then eat it. Who gives a hoot about what some yahoo on a website thinks?
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I totally agree with u. I dont eat totally clean coz i dont feel like that would be a lifestyle change id enjoy forever. I still love my crisps, choc n othe things i maybe shouldnt have