Do you eat the calories you burn?

Options
I have follwed ww before and it was known as " activity points" and we were told to eat them or not bother so im not sure what to do. Im aiming to follow 1200 calories a day and would usually burn between 250-500 calories per gym session and prob go to the gym 3 -4 times a week or at least ill aim to! Just wondering how it works with the net value etc...? xx

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I eat the calories I burn and then some.
  • AtomicAardvark
    Options
    It's really up to you. If you don't eat the calories you burn, you're likely to loose weight a little quicker. For the net value, think of those calories you worked off as negative calories for the day. If you eat the 250-500 calories you burned, you're back to your goal of 1200 calories per day. And if you don't, you're effectively at 700-950 net calories for the day.

I tend to eat ~1/2 the calories I burn (or, ususally, drink in the form of rum or beer) as a reward.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yep. Always did. Always will.
  • Lindsay_Kay
    Lindsay_Kay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great question, I've been wondering the same thing!
  • embercakez
    Options
    sometimes I eat them all and sometimes I don't even touch em.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat up to half or so, if I'm hungry.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes, cuz I get really hungry haha. But depends how much though.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Nope! I stick with my calorie intake no matter how many calories I burn
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    yes. I'm trying to gain weight.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. I generally eat about 2/3 of them - if I'm hungry I eat them all, if I fall asleep earlier I don't end up eating them. IMO not eating them back consistently wastes the workout - if you keep doing that and refusing to fuel your body eventually your performance is going to suffer.

Then again, I don't workout to lose weight - my weightloss is fueled by my dietary deficit; I workout to get in shape. It's far easier to lose weight via diet than exercise and while they are compatible goals they are not interchangeable in my opinion.

It's really up to you. If you don't eat the calories you burn, you're likely to loose weight a little quicker.

This is not necessarily true, that depends on how high your deficit already is. Some people find this is true, some people find that creating a deficit that is too extreme impedes weightloss. Everyone is different, and there are no Truths with a capital T in this. I realize you said "likely" and not "will" so am just providing the counterpoint for the OP.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Unpossible. Once those calories are burned they're gone. They can't be re-eaten.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I sometimes eat into them if I have a busy day and am hungry but most times I try and save them. It`s just a personal preference!
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I dont because I gain. Unless I am super hungry then I will have an apple or something. I do gain weight ridiculously easy though :angry:
  • allnaday
    allnaday Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i eat 'em!:embarassed:
  • dash108
    dash108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I burn the calories I eat, then usually burn about 300 more on top of it ;)

(editing again because I am talking about the calories I go over on my daily allowance according to MFP!)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Unpossible. Once those calories are burned they're gone. They can't be re-eaten.

this made me giggle.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Nope.

No matter how many calories I 'burn' with my exercise I stick to the calorie goal I have set for myself.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    That's why I exercise mostly......
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yep all the time, I set up my day over calories and then burn enough calories to be as close to my net goal as possible. It's workd so far!