My Success: Results of quitting smoking

Options
Firstly, sorry if you are looking for pictures of a body after quitting smoking, you won't find one here....

I've now been smoke free for 40 weeks, every week I have been putting £50 into a clear jar, as motivation to keep going and show me just how much money I used to throw away (or should I say burn).

Well here is the result:

£2,000

IMG_0060_zps1039bde4.jpg

IMG_0061_zpsabe52f9f.jpg

To put this in perspective for those that are not in the UK this is the equivalent of:

$3,225 USD
€2,470 Euro's
$3,137 AUD
$3,177 CAD
$1,167,181 Zimbawean Dollars

I can't imagine ever burning 2 grand but used to do that regularly.

The biggest task is now to work out what to spend this on, the saving will never stop though, so this pile will just keep growing :D

Replies

• sunnygirl19
    sunnygirl19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Its amazing when you put it in perspective like that!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!! Kudos to you--definitely gon' share this with my fiance
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    congratulations!! so so happy for you! i am 10 weeks for me :)
  • Life_is_For_Living
    Options
    Well done you, that's something to be really proud of.

As an ex-smoker I know how difficult giving up is. I felt like I had lost my best friend but over time it got easier and now I have been smoke free for over 5 years.

As to what to spend the money on? How about a new whistle & flute to show of your new physique.
  • histogal99
    histogal99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. My husband and I did the same thing last year when we quit. Amazing how the money adds up. We slipped and are now starting over. Seems a lot tougher this time, but you reminded me of one of the many benefits of quitting.
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow actually seeing what we do with our money when smoking 'burn it' hopefully will give people the motivation to quit! I'm smoke free for 15 months and counting :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    i have quit smoking for 2 years 5 months and 3 wks ..so far...I have a ticker on my home computer that tells me how much I have saved...Although its not in a jar, it is over $3500 US Dollars. I do have money for vacations now...so I am happy about that. And I feel so good that I have incorporated jogging into my walks...Two and a 1/2 years ago that was impossible.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Wow! SO after 16 years, 6 months and 13 days I owe myself ...er... Oh?

£43,000 - probably a bit less

Okay - let's say £40,000

Hmmm? I wonder what my wife spent it on?
  • kimimila86
    Options
    Great motivation! Go on a vacation! :tongue:
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    This is only after 40 weeks, not even a year!!
  • goonas
    Options
    Well done you, that's something to be really proud of.

As an ex-smoker I know how difficult giving up is. I felt like I had lost my best friend but over time it got easier and now I have been smoke free for over 5 years.

As to what to spend the money on? How about a new whistle & flute to show of your new physique.

I don't feel like I ever want to start the habit again, one of my kids said to me a couple of weeks ago "I can't imagine you smoking now"

Suit is a great idea, I think a lot of this will end up on new clothes too :)
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is what always kept me from smoking. I couldn't help but do the math, and I'm far too cheap to go down that road.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Great job! I think some nice new threads or a vacation is definitely in order!
  • goonas
    Options
    Thank you for the positive comments, I hope others see the positives from quitting smoking !
  • MarlenaFisher
    Options
    Good for you! That's amazing! I should have done something like that when I quit smoking.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I hope to quit by Christmas. Thanks for this post!
  • goonas
    Options
    I hope to quit by Christmas. Thanks for this post!

Do it today, do it now!
    There are what 10 weeks to Xmas - if you spend 50 pounds a week on cigarettes, who could do with an extra 500 pounds around Xmas??
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting. So happy to hear this, I can't tell you how many people I've cared for with chronic health problems as a result of smoking.

You just saved your own life, and improved the quality of it. Nicotine is so addicting, and very, very difficult to quit. Have you decided what you're going to do with the money?
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 17. This post is some great motivation.
    "16 days, 4 hours, 27 seconds smoke free.
    598 cigarettes not smoked.
    $118.40 and 4 days, 13 hours of your life saved."

I'm doing cold turkey. how did you quit?
  • goonas
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting. So happy to hear this, I can't tell you how many people I've cared for with chronic health problems as a result of smoking.

You just saved your own life, and improved the quality of it. Nicotine is so addicting, and very, very difficult to quit. Have you decided what you're going to do with the money?

Thanks.
    I will say I don't think Nicotine is an addictive substance, its the habit of smoking people are addicted to.
    I don't know, some clothes - but the key is - this is NOT the end of the saving, I am going to continue putting the money away, so it will keep building up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!