My Success: Results of quitting smoking

Options

Replies

• goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm on day 17. This post is some great motivation.
    "16 days, 4 hours, 27 seconds smoke free.
    598 cigarettes not smoked.
    $118.40 and 4 days, 13 hours of your life saved."

I'm doing cold turkey. how did you quit?

I used hypnotherapy, but in reality I don't think I needed it because I really wanted to quit - I think it just gave me the opportunity to continue being positive and forcing me to quit.

I've been using the iQuit app too - its a great tool.
  • momiq
    momiq Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Day 2 for me..Its not as hard as I expected...just following the mantra "Never take another puff"
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used hypnotherapy, but in reality I don't think I needed it because I really wanted to quit - I think it just gave me the opportunity to continue being positive and forcing me to quit.

I've been using the iQuit app too - its a great tool.

Its funny, I tried hypnotherapy 5 or 6 years ago.. didn't help at all. I've used everything. chamtix, gums, patches, ecigs, everything.. always failed. This quit was because i felt empowered after the weight loss. Good on ya man!
    Day 2 for me..Its not as hard as I expected...just following the mantra "Never take another puff"

Keep it up! You'll have nicotine in ya for another day or so.. Then it'll get a little tougher..but you got this!
  • goonas
    Options

Its funny, I tried hypnotherapy 5 or 6 years ago.. didn't help at all. I've used everything. chamtix, gums, patches, ecigs, everything.. always failed. This quit was because i felt empowered after the weight loss. Good on ya man!

I quit cold turkey for 6 months a few years back, so knew I could do it, so I think the hypno just enforced it home to me. Never tried Nictone Replacement, I've seen close family and friends try with these but they never worked long term.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    amazing amazing story! So happy for you! Keep at it!:)
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've quit for 8 days and each day I have put $5.25 in a box inside my desk at work. That way, I know it is always there and I won't spend it on something frivolous like ice cream or candy when I'm out & about. What has been your greatest non-monetary gain since quitting? Mine has been that my skin is already looking more vibrant.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Your money is pretty.

But it's weird to me that the queen looks so young on your money! On our money she looks old. :P
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I made it 41 days and then relapsed. Hoping to kick it again soon.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I swear by the healing power of licorice root for smoking cessation.

The hardest stage for me, 16 years ago, was the weekend when I ran out and Holland & Barrett were out of stock.

I had smoked for over 30 years and had given as many times as I had lost weight in that time - then for some reason it was time to stop.
    It was a sort of 20th anniversary present to my wife, who has never smoked.

Let me know if you want any help - I know it's tough but I know it can be done.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I just ran my numbers. I quit cold turkey in February.

I have now stopped smoking for 8 months, 2 weeks, 6 days, 2 hours, 25 minutes, 3 seconds. That translates into 4,387 cigarettes NOT smoked, for a savings of $1,755.08! At 5 minutes per cigarette I have increased my life expectancy by 2 weeks, 1 day, 5 hours, 38 minutes, 33 seconds.

Well done, Sir. I tip my hat to you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    awesome. extra cash is another one of the great benefits of kicking that STINKY habit.

congratulations!
  • goonas
    Options
    I've quit for 8 days and each day I have put $5.25 in a box inside my desk at work. That way, I know it is always there and I won't spend it on something frivolous like ice cream or candy when I'm out & about. What has been your greatest non-monetary gain since quitting? Mine has been that my skin is already looking more vibrant.

Greatest non-monetary gain.... hmmm... there are many...

Food tastes better
    I feel cleaner - not worried about the smell on my clothes
    I can put FAR more effort into exercise
    My eye sight isn't any better as such but it feels a bit clearer - hard to explain - like a cloud has been lifted
  • tompkgl78
    Options
    These are all Amazing stories and Congratulations to all of you!! I have 28 days under my belt and couldnt be happier. I am now focusing on getting healthier and HAPPIER!! I am so much happier now that I dont smoke!! And my love of food has gotten healhier!! I am now finding time to excercise and spend more time with my kids!! And yes, the $250.00 I have saved so far, I spent on myself, for one, new clothes!! Yay!!
  • elizarae11
    Options
    that's awesome! good job!
  • youmfpnow
    Options
    That is so awesome! Great job on quitting, I love how you turned it into such a positive experience. Total polar opposite

I started with nicotine gum at first, but it may have or may not have helped. The only real way to quit is through pure force of will. Put them down and NEVER pick them up again. To this day, a couple years later, I still crave one every so often. I never give in since I know my addictive personality will run with it once I start again.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have been smoke free for 23 weeks i think..i wish i had been able to do this..i WANTED to, but my hubby quit before i did, so he was buying mine, and since we didnt need to buy them anymore, we didnt bother with saving up like that..i think i have saved about $500 so far this year..congrats to you :drinker:
  • MUMommy
    MUMommy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    More important than the money...you are adding years to your life. Good job!!
  • anarjackson
    anarjackson Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is an amazing story! I am not a smoker but my Husband is. My dream is to see him quit. I hate to see him have such a bad habit. We have a 3 year old Daughter and I want him to live longer for us and it truly breaks my heart to see him just smoke his life away. Do you have any tips on how I can be supportive? He does want to quit but doesn't seem to have the motivation or drive to do so.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    From across the pond, I am so proud of you. You are an amazing inspiriation to others and although I do not have a problem with smoking it allows me to take the same front with my emotional eating. My "snacks, junk food, and restaurant" jar start today.

Thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!