Options
13»

Replies

• Rixx31
    Rixx31 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Daily driver - Automatic (slushbox)

Roadster - Manual

I only drove manual cars when I lived in the UK. I drive 80 miles round trip on I-5 each day so a slushbox works fine for that. Straight line, stop-go traffic zzzzzz.
    For fun drives on mountain and the twisty roads, it has to be a manual. The fun is rowing through the gears and winding it out to 7k, engine braking, etc etc. The car can be in the right gear all of the time.

I dislike automatics, even more so if it's in a sporty car. It makes for a fun car with much of the fun taken out of it.
  • philm00x
    Options
    Stick! Once I learned to drive a manual transmission, I never wanted to go back to automatic. Makes me feel more in control of the car, and forces me to be more aware of my car and my surroundings as I drive.
  • starry8740
    Options
    ^^ I honestly believe it is a sin to build a Corvette or a Mustang as an automatic. LOL

The mustang is my first car. I first learned to drive on an 01 camaro z28. Yes, my husband was insane. Then I got my mustang and he found an 06 gto stick and he taught me stick on that. I ended up better than him. We took it to the track and he kept getting a 14's when he should have been in the 13's and his friends were like....let her do it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Stick. Even in traffic. Just have to learn to anticipate and crawl along slowly in first. Especially in slower cars they seem to make better use of the available power when it doesn't have to make it's way through a torque converter and make it more fun to drive. The dual clutch transmissions are still clunky at low speeds.
    Stick... learnt first on stick and I just can't get used to driving an auto in the states... especially going up hills when it shifts up five seconds after it should. Though I must admit I do acknowledge the benefits in town driving... however for long journeys... definately stick. I'm an engineer and used to work on developing the electronics for off-hire trucks and shifting algorithms were always an issue. Humans are just way better than any machine. My husband is putting a V8 into an MGB that will be fantastic to drive once its back on the road.

This as well! Although I have met automatics I could live with because they will listen when told and quickly change gear. The newer automatics in the Chevys are like this. I've had rental Camaros and Cruzes, and when I put it into manual mode, it would hold the gear even if floored in top gear and wouldn't upshift on me at redline. It also shifted as soon as I selected the next gear, not taking it as merely a suggestion.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Stick - total control and power thing for me lol
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Tiptronic, the best of both worlds so you can chill when you want and play when you want...
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I drove a manual for 30 years.....

My Audi has ~300ph and a DSG gearbox - would never go back to three pedals....
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If mid-full sized SUV's came with the option of a manual I'd get a manual but since they don't I have to go with automatic.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    STIIIIICK!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Stick!!! I have an automatic now and I HATE IT!! Miss my stick shift sooooooo much!!
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    I always preferred stick, I learned driving using it, but now i use automatic, because almost all cars in the US are automatic. And for ordinary city/freeway driving, auto is ok, especially when you are in Los Angeles, heavy traffic all the time. lol
    But if i'm gonna buy a sports car i'll get a MT.. a nissan 350z would be great because most of 'em are MT. :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Manual. I am still a truck driver at heart. To hell with those 5 speeds. Give me 18 gears and a 650 HP Cat any day. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah...and no using the clutch, unless stopping or taking off. Damned cheaters. :D
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    automatic all the way!
  • Cher2686
    Cher2686 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    stick- way more fun and can control your car rather than wait for it to react. I actually think I am pretty good (fast) at it. In Texas not many girl drive stick so I like getting the weird looks driving my del sol.
  • JimmiePalmer118
    Options
    Stick
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Stick in the country. Auto in the city.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate automatics. I have only ever owned cars with manual transmissions and I intend to keep it that way.

And yes, I've driven in tons of traffic. It wasn't fun in the 92 Camaro but newer cars have such light clutches that it doesn't bother me.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Daily driver is a stick. I love it. Two other cars are both automatics, but with paddle shifters/autostick options. Suv is an automatic.
  • michcruz
    michcruz Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I refuse to own another Automatic :happy:

This.