Nipples................................& running

Options

Replies

• Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think you should surgically remove your nipples! Barring that, body glide or vaseline will also do the trick, but I really think you should just remove the nipples and of course post photos!

*PMSL*
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would cheer on marathon runners around mile 21 in my home town race and would see bloody nipples in about 1 in 100 male runners. Yeah, it definitely looks painful - never change your running gear before the race and I would think that most people who ran 15 or so miles that it takes to run a marathon in training would have experienced bloody nipples if they are going to during the race. I had to change to compression shorts after about mile 10 of training during my runs because of chafing of my thighs. For the record, I'm pretty light - but the chafing is some combination of my running style and my running gear. Luckily, light compression shorts work like a charm. All the recommendations of band-aids, body glide and Vaseline seem appropriate.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think you should surgically remove your nipples! Barring that, body glide or vaseline will also do the trick, but I really think you should just remove the nipples and of course post photos!
    THIS
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Bandaids.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that picture hurts just looking at it. So no way I'm quoting that. My boyfriend came home like that once as well. He's crazy atheletic and decided to 'try that running thing you do'. He ended up doing 16 km (about 10 miles) untrained and earned bloody nipples that way. Vaseline did the trick after.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I put Bodyglide or Vasoline everywhere else but don't use it there because it stains your shirts. I normally wear band-aids when I wear a shirt. I ran a 50K up in the mountains last weekend. It was raining and in the mid-50s at the start. Living in Florida, I had not run with a shirt on for the last 6 months and totally forgot to put them on. My nipples were hurting like hell after an hour or so.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use band aids for longer runs. I chafed my nipples once, just once
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use stripper pasties when the 3M tape runs out:)

Sexay!! :wink:

Sounds super painful!! Id say band aids or vasoline! I hope you find something that works for your cold nippies :flowerforyou:
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    A compression shirt works wonders.
    You mean this?

youthinkdotcom_3185100_171636.jpg

Body Glide or cheap band-aids.

Egads - If I had testicles, they would have just crawled up into my body.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I came in to this thread ready to tout the medicinal properties of my saliva, but since you're a dude I'll just suggest running shirtless. I don't care if it's cold.

And how do you pin on your bib during a race.......knotted chest hair? :laugh: :laugh:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I came in to this thread ready to tout the medicinal properties of my saliva, but since you're a dude I'll just suggest running shirtless. I don't care if it's cold.

And how do you pin on your bib during a race.......knotted chest hair? :laugh: :laugh:

A chain with roach clips on each end hung around the neck
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I put Bodyglide or Vasoline everywhere else but don't use it there because it stains your shirts.

I've never experienced Bodyglide staining, and I use it everywhere chafing may occur. Bodyglide gets my vote.
    Give your nips some TLC in the meantime. :bigsmile:
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Will happen to just about every guy who starts running.

Google NipGuards. Best way I've found to avoid the bloddy nipples. When i ran the Boston Marathon ten years ago I used those plus I taped them on just to be safe!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This is a common running topic... especially for long distance runners. Vaseline can help, as can band-aids. Tight fitting clothes can only help so much...

It is quite common. So much so they have nipple covers. I know www.onemoremile.net sells them at many of the expo's they attend.

As a lady, I get "runners tattoo" -- happened today actually, where the bra material rubs against my breast (and I'm endowed so..) and it starts to bleed under the ladies, resulting in a bloody bra. Yes, gross.. vaseline is my godsend. I can empathize -- hope you find something that works!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    so you know the saying if you can't duck it *uck it
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    LOL!

all joking aside though, use lanolin. The same thing happens to new moms who are breastfeeding. Hurts like hell.

This is the best for helping them feel better after they are raw. At the drug store or Walmart look for PurLan. It will be in the ointments or in the Baby product section.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That's why I just run shirtless. :)
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Body glide will save you.

My coworker had the same problem and now he gets a stick of Body Glide from me for his bday!

This. I have this problem a lot. Body Glide helps. Also check the shirts you are wearing. I have found some cause this more than others. Good luck!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Lots of "Run Shirtless" comments and I think its great you guys can do that. I however do not run shirtless because my white Irish skin is akin to porcelin and may blind other runners or passing vehicles. My name is PJ64 and I approve this message
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Body glide for both nipple protection and inner thigh chafing. Avoid cotton clothing.