Burnt out on cottage cheese & fruit, lunch suggestions?

Options

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If bread is an issue, (and its a big one for me) look at the "thin" bagels and buns that are out now, layer it with a lot of lettuce, tomato and then some lean deli meat/cheese helps to fill you up. Also wrap deli meats/cheese in large leaves of lettuce. Soups are great, as long as they are not too high in calories, home made is always the best because you control the ingredients and the salt! Load it up with the veggies you like and beans are a great filler too

Fruit and cheese, and protein shakes are also options I enjoy!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches: turkey or make it with a vegan boca patty. Sometimes I switch it up and use a laughing cow slice of cheese. I also bring the precooked frozen chicken & brown rice with veggies on the sides: sweet potatoe, green beans, asparagus.
    Or I make spaghetti with gorund chicken & light ragu, with whole wheat pasta.

I also, make wraps of turkey or chicken depending on what i have available.

Veggie sups are another option.: mexican squash, carrot, cabbage, potatoe, cilantro and some seasoning.
  • BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The soup suggestion is a great one. Either homemade or a good canned variety. Usually low in calories and filling. Good luck!!
  • embercakez
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I was avoiding bread because I already eat oatmeal for breakfast daily & I thought all the carbs would put on weight?

Is it instant oatmeal? Anyways I tend to try and have protein in every meal. Try an english muffin and turkey sausage for breakfast. You will get burnt out on oatmeal, just like you have with your other meals. Keeping things new and fresh will help keep you on the right path. I also suggest you do some research on macronutrients. Carbs are not the devil.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine has a Steak Tips Portobello meal with broccoli that comes in at only 160 calories and is pretty low carb. They have several meals at 200 or fewer calories.

I usually have a Lean Cuisine for lunch during the work week. I have been told that they are not healthy, but they are so convenient and I don't have time to mess with fixing anything.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I was avoiding bread because I already eat oatmeal for breakfast daily & I thought all the carbs would put on weight?

That's a myth. Weight gain is determined by the ratio of how many calories you eat to how many you burn.

Carbs can be an issue for some folks who are insulin resistant, diabetic, etc. You have to know your body andyourself, and work with your Dr. or nutritionist if you find carbs an issue
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, so i got a little creative today....
    Nothing fancy or gourmet, but it sure helped change it up...

3 Ballpark smoked turkey franks, cut up with 6 tbsp of sour kraut. -- heat in pan, serve. (not glamourous, I know)

Total calorie count: 150, 21 g of protein, 0 fat, and I figure I'll have an apple too.

Lunch
    Franks Kraut - Sauerkraut, 6 Tbsp 15 3 0 3 3
    Ballpark - Smoked White Turkey Franks (Bun Sized), 3 frank 135 15 0 18 0
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big batch of chili. It's 190 calories for a cup and a half.

16 oz extra lean ground beef
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    1 can black beans
    2 cups mushrooms
    1 can low sodium corn
    1 cup chopped peppers
    3 fresh tomatoes
    1 medium onion
    half a can of beer
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp garlic
    1 tbsp vinegar (very important)

I add lots of spices, usually chipotle powder, chili powder, salt and pepper, cumin, paprika. I put a sprinkle of cheese on top and 2 tbsp of low fat sour cream and it's still under 300 calories.

Oh, and this chilli won a trophy in a chilli cookoff!
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I just entered one of my favorite "fall/winter" lunches into the recipes on here....Yummy.

TACO SOUP

Corn Whole Kernal (15 oz Can) Darlene - Delmonte No Salt Added, 2 cup
    College Inn - Chicken Broth 99% Fat Free, 2 cup (240mL)
    Mccormick - Low Sodium Taco Seasoning, 1 Tbsp dry mix
    Black Beans - Bush Reduced Sodium, 1 1/2 cup
    Bush's Great Northern Beans - Canned Beans, 2 cup
    Old El Paso - Fat Free Refried Beans, 2 cup
    Hunts - !00% Natural Diced Tomatoes W/ Green Pepper, Celery & Onion, 2 cup
    Rotel (Usa - Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, 1 1/2 cup

Per 1 cup Serving:103Calories 20 Carbs 1 gr fat 6 gr protein 644 gr sodium 5 gr sugar

This recipe is actually one can of each ingredient - no need to measure...dump it all in a pot and simmer for 30-40 minutes. It keeps well in the fridge or freezer. Two cups makes a nice bowl-full and keeps you full for a long time. Sometimes for an added "punch" I sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese on top :-) Enjoy
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

That's a myth. Weight gain is determined by the ratio of how many calories you eat to how many you burn.

Carbs can be an issue for some folks who are insulin resistant, diabetic, etc. You have to know your body andyourself, and work with your Dr. or nutritionist if you find carbs an issue

Glucose metabolism issues aren't so prevalent that every mention of carbohydrate intake would need such a caveat.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Look on pinterest. Just type in 'healthy lunch ideas' and you'll get tons of blogs and links that have sample lunches....a lot of them have small portions of meat/cheese/fruit/veggie....sometimes a half sandwich and other things. I would definitely start there for some ideas.
  • princessemmie
    Options
    Jacket potatoes,humous and veg sticks,soups,rice salads, pasta salads, cous cous,open sandwiches(only half the bread!Love ryvitas, crumpets bagels serve with side salads or warm winter veg?i try and mix it up everyday so i dont get so bored x
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Tumaros makes a low cal/low carb wrap. Their salsa tortilla has 50 cal/11g carbs/5g protein/6g fiber
    Stuffed with avacado, tomato, turkey, spinach, and onion. YUM!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I eat a sandwich or wrap for lunch pretty much every day. I love my sammiches.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I eat a sandwich or wrap for lunch pretty much every day. I love my sammiches.

make me one??
  • DanatLong
    Options
    Hi DJ,

I'm new to the Myfitnesspal family, but I have the same problem with getting tired of the same thing over and over and over...I have found that Progresso makes some delicious soups. I am enjoying the Santa Fe Chicken one right now, w/ 6 crackers for only 220 calories. This afternoon about 3:00 I will be delighted by a cup of frozen grapes.

God Bless
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    You people have made me hungry for a sandwich now....Einstein Bros. Tasty turkey on whole wheat bagel thin..........I have a coupon!

Be careful with canned soups and frozen dinners with sodium. I buy the low sodium soups, or make them myself. I love frozen dinners, Lean Cuisine is great, but i read down the label to check more than calories and fat grams.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hi DJ,

I'm new to the Myfitnesspal family, but I have the same problem with getting tired of the same thing over and over and over...I have found that Progresso makes some delicious soups. I am enjoying the Santa Fe Chicken one right now, w/ 6 crackers for only 220 calories. This afternoon about 3:00 I will be delighted by a cup of frozen grapes.

God Bless

soup is good, but the canned stuff have so much stinking sodium in them. i feel so swollen after eating (drinking??) hem.

speaking of, i'm gonna make some chicken stock.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Don't worry about stuff like that. As other people have said, carbs won't make you gain weight any more than anything else. Why not try egg salad or turkey on a sandwich thin? They're 100 calories and come in a lot of different breads. Sara Lee and Brownberry make good ones.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating bread everyday, I do. I just don't have it for all 3 meals. I eat multi-grain, whole grain or wheat. Nothing wrong with having a wrap for lunch or a hearty soup and salad or something like that. I eat what I want...just in moderation and smaller portions.