Burnt out on cottage cheese & fruit, lunch suggestions?

Options

Replies

• AllieTF
    Options
    Look for the little pocket type breads like Pepperridge Farms makes, by the Weight Watchers method they are only one point each. Load up the sandwich with extra veggies!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    not sure if this has already been said, but HUMMUS AND VEGGIES!
  • AllieTF
    Options
    I do a very similar recipe minus the "taco" ingredients and broth, throw in some chicken and kidney beans and canned tomatoes and it's a good chicken chili!
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I started to re create the starbucks lunch boxes at home. Low cal and very tasty
    Their protein box has peanut butter, eggs, cheese, grapes, apple slices
    Veggie box: goats cheese, tzaziki sauce, carrots, peppers, cherry tomatoes, cranberry and apple crackers.

To re create this at home only cost me a dollar or two.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Lately my favorite lunch is two poached eggs on a slice of whole grain toast with sliced tomatoes, 1/4 c of grated light cheddar and a handful of chopped spinach. It's quite filling! Also, I recently bought a variety of Smart ones microwave meals for those days I'm in a hurry. They are surprisingly good!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    pitabread2.jpg

These are very filling, low calorie, decent fiber and protein and very tasty. I find them at Walmart and add lunch meat, cheese, mustard, any veggies, tons of spinach.

Total Calories 60
    Total Fat 2 g 3%
    Sodium 300 mg 13%
    Total Carbohydrates 8 g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 6 g

*edit: Or you can order them online here, just found this: http://www.netrition.com/josephs_bakery_pita_bread.html
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a whole wheat "flat roll" or "bagel thin". Only about 100-120 calories for both sides. I fill it up with veggies & turkey slices and have a pretty filling lunch with enough carbs to give me energy to get through the afternoon at work. I usually have a yogurt and fruit on the side. If you're sick of salads try out some different salad dressings (Wishbone has some good spritzer dressings that are only 1-2 calories per spritz) and also try cutting up some sandwich meat or getting cubed ham to put in it.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with eating bread everyday? lol, carbs are a natural thing. they have light bread thats only 70cal for 2 slices and only like 18g of carbs, so I am in full support of a sammich.

Order some Jimmy John's but an unwich (means its wrapped in lettuce), do that and any sandwich you order will have about 300 less calories for the lack of bread and carbs.

Chicken and grapes is delicious, but you would obviously need a side.

So, in summation, go for a sandwich or a frozen dinner lol
  • Davisc28
    Davisc28 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try Miracle Noodles they are fat free, carb free, gluten free
    http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

You can season them how you want to and they absorb the flavor. Im on a low carb journey as well and these have worked well to give me my pasta and rice fix, with out the guilt or worry im throwing myself out of ketosis. I bought mine at Whole Food's.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    ive come up with a good lunch meal.

find a light soup (in a can) to use over a medely of steamed veggies (your choice)

for example i will steam some brocoli some baby carrots and maybe red pepper hunks...this goes in a big bowl. over the veggies i would put one half of a can of progresso soup. flavors i like with this are.

sante fe chicken light (add cayenne pepper)
    chicken cheese enchilada (a little more fat but worth it)
    spicy three bean something....(very good)
    lentil

ANYWAY this lunch is SUPER filling and only 150-200 calories the way i do it
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I was avoiding bread because I already eat oatmeal for breakfast daily & I thought all the carbs would put on weight?

That's a myth. Weight gain is determined by the ratio of how many calories you eat to how many you burn.

I agree, a total myth it's all in the CALORIES....
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I eat wholemeal bread for lunch most days, either toasted under poached eggs or with soup. I eat porridge for breakfast too, and often have potatoes or pasta with my dinner. I'm still losing weight.

At the end of the day it is everything in moderation.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your budget for the day. There are no bad foods, too much of any food is bad. The reason people fail is because they "diet" and try to live on cottage cheese, broccoli and steamed fish. Learn to eat real food in the proper proportions for the rest of your life. If cottage cheese is boring now what is it going to be 10 years from now?

This ^^.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your budget for the day. There are no bad foods, too much of any food is bad. The reason people fail is because they "diet" and try to live on cottage cheese, broccoli and steamed fish. Learn to eat real food in the proper proportions for the rest of your life. If cottage cheese is boring now what is it going to be 10 years from now?

^^^this^^^^
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Devilled Eggs, Veggie Sticks, Melba Toast and Cheese if your calories allow
    Flaked Turkey/Ham/Tuna/Salmon with Whole Wheat Crackers (I use Ryvita Dark Rye) and veggie sticks
    Homemade Soup
    Pita (only 100 cals for a Haddad High Protein Pita) with chipotle mayo, lettuce & sliced turkey/chicken on it
    Oatmeal & Fruit
    Egg white omelet, turkey sausage & wheat crackers
    Try different salads (bean salad, spaghetti squash salad, etc...)
    Homemade chicken brocolli
    Homemade chicken chop suey

GOOD LUCK!! ;)
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches almost everyday, I just use romaine lettuce as the "bread" and drink extra water to counter the sodium. Love Boars Head Jerk Turkey!
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I make sandwiches with whole wheat wraps or 12 whole grain bread. The bread is so heavy with whole grains usually 1 slice is enough for me. Whole grain carbs are good for you.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    pitabread2.jpg

These are very filling, low calorie, decent fiber and protein and very tasty. I find them at Walmart and add lunch meat, cheese, mustard, any veggies, tons of spinach.

Total Calories 60
    Total Fat 2 g 3%
    Sodium 300 mg 13%
    Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 6 g

*edit: Or you can order them online here, just found this: http://www.netrition.com/josephs_bakery_pita_bread.html

Thank you for this! I think I have seen these at Walmart! I'm going to give these a go & I'm making note of all the other suggestions as well so I can switch it up & not get bored :smile: you guys are so helpful always!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    pitabread2.jpg

Total Calories 60
    Total Fat 2 g 3%
    Sodium 300 mg 13%
    Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 6 g

We buy these at Publix, love them!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^^^this^^^^

This again.