Drinking More Water - How?

Options
13»

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Where is the proof that a body needs 8 glases of water a day? In fact, drinking water with a meal will dilute digestive juices and drinking such a large quantity of water will cause water soluble nutrients to be literally pissed out.

Show me some solid prove, otherwise I will drink when I am thirsty and an hour before I am likely to sweat heavily - yoga, cardio etc.

Check this out: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html
    Drink if you need or want to.
    I don't need to read about why it's good or bad. When I was barely drinking water, I got headaches and was irritable and shaky. In addition to that, I couldn't go more than six weeks without binging on junk food and completely ditching my exercise routine. Now that I drink lots of water, I get few headaches, I feel better, I look better, and I've been eating well consistently for nearly four months and exercising consistently for 8 weeks (six days a week for the last 4 weeks). And I'm at my lowest weight in the last 6 years. There's not an article in the world that could convince me I shouldn't drink water when my life is proof enough for me that it's good for me.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I wasn't suggesting anyone shouldn't drink water - just that everyone should learn to listen to their own body's needs and respond accordingly rather than stick religiously to a code without knowing why.

Gingerjen - you obviously do feel better drinking lots of water and you are likely to need it considering you are exercising more. You are responding to your body's needs as am I.
  • cardozojoann
    cardozojoann Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I chug a glass of water before I eat and I drink a glass while I eat. I usually get in 8-10 glasses of water a day.
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use a tumbler with a straw. I've tried the flavor packets, lemons, etc but I find that I drink far more water now than I ever did before simply by using a straw. Also, the colder the water the better for me personally.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Tbh, this is a bit difficult for me, bc I have been in the habit of drinking mainly water since I was about 13-14 years old. (I am now almost 27).

For me, water is such a normal part of my daily routine, I do not even think about it.

I do not like soda, haven't had it in so many years. I drink juice at breakfast, and coffee(alongside my water) as well as herbal teas (usually 1-2 cups a day after dinner), and that is about it. I drink alcohol of course, but this is obviously only at certain times. (But I ALWAYS make sure to have water alongside this as well, to prevent dehydration and aide detoxification.)

Any other time, every meal and snack, I have water. When I work out, of course I have water. So I drink anywhere from 10-12 cups a day, easily.

For me, it is more mind boggling when people struggle to even make half of this! I feel like if I didn't have water, I would die of thirst!

I think it is probably just a case of getting into the habit of it. If you turn to water versus soda, etc at meals, eventually you will come to go for it right away automatically.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If I try to drink eight glasses of water in a day, I spend much of the time urinating - so I am not drinking 8 glasses of water - I am passing 8 glasses of water through my body and losing water soluble vitamins and minerals in the process.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you get more water into your daily routines? I do well on some days, but most of the time I know I am lacking on my water intake.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I was stuck on water and ensure for about 10 days, it grows on you. Just keep a full glass of ice water at your desk when you can. Turvis tumblers keep it colder, longer
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Drink through a straw! It always helps.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Except that it's more likely to give you gas--drinking anything through a straw increases the amount of air you swallow. FYI.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just do it i just have to do it. Its necessary i drink some at all my meals a lot and than just throughout the day i get to my water goal than after that if i still want to drink more i doo... lol
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Except that it's more likely to give you gas--drinking anything through a straw increases the amount of air you swallow. FYI.

You simply do it. Obtain a container of water of some fashion, lift, drink, swallow. Set your limit for the day & keep drinking until you reach it. While adding all the flavor to it may help, I recommend simply getting used to drinking it plain and maybe using one of those packets as a treat now and then instead of trading one crutch for another, like if you are getting off sodas. If you really feel you need flavor, use lemon, limes, cucumbers, or something for flavor.

If you need help on the weekend or certain days, set calendar reminders on your smartphone. I use my google calendar alerts for all sorts of timed reminders as you can add several reminders to one event in the calendar. Also, I think there are water drinking apps to remind you that you can get for ipones & droids. Just search your app store of choice i'm sure "there's an app for that".
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options

If you really feel you need flavor, use lemon, limes, cucumbers, or something for flavor.

Lemon is a great addition as it is also a natural detoxifier. I use one lemon slice in my water at least once a day, if not twice.
  • Sylv93
    Sylv93 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty silly, but because my "party trick" used to be the ability to down pints of cider on super speed, sometimes if I haven't drunk enough in a day I challenge myself to drink a pint of water in under 5 seconds. Don't judge me! lol
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It takes less than 30 seconds to down a bottle of water :drinker:

-That's how I do it....chug away!

Agree. I keep a gallon in a corner of my cube. Every other hour I drink as much as I can.