Too Tired To Exercise Most Days.

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do it, you'd change into your exercise clothes before you leave work, then get home and start your workout before you had a chance to do something else.

Just sayin'...
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do

no you don't

This! I used to make the same excuses for myself. If it's important enough you just do it.

And I agree with everyone else; once you start exercising you'll be amazed at how much more energy you have.
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That happened to me..I'd say I was tired then before you knew it I was in a slump and didn't exercise for weeks. Find something you love to do or join a class where you have to go.
    I started the C25K program. I get home, take the dog out, cook dinner, have dinner with my boyfriend and then change into my workout clothes after dinner even though I don't exercise until an hour later but since I have the clothes on there are no excuses.
    I also just signed up for a kickboxing class so I have to go.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Try putting on your workout clothes before you go home. I noticed that if I'm dressed before I get home I go straight to working out. I also have several workout partners. Find someone else who is motivated to work out and the days you don't feel like it, this person can push you to do it.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    A body in motion stays in motion!! The more you move the more energy you will have.... just have to get through the first couple weeks. Just Do IT!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'd say the same thing, and for you to try what I used to do before my schedule changed last month....

I got off work at 3 everyday, and just went right after I got off. Just bring your gym stuff with you in the morning, and the first stop from work should be the gym... just make sure you eat a protein bar or some sort of snack before starting the workout to not burn out in the middle of it. The snack will really help boost your energy level and will help you re-energize after the work day and fuel up before the workout!

This worked for me for nearly 3 solid years :-)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor before starting an exercise program. Once you are cleared begin an exercise program.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Not exercising is actually making you more tired.

Its a downward spiral you can only stop by pushing yourself and forcing yourself to exercise. Its hard at first but once you get used to it, you will love it. For me - I have a hard time waking up early in the mornings to exercise before work. I literally have to drag myself out of bed but once I am out running I have never once regretted the decision not to sleep in. Never once.

I also second the snack suggestion. If I am working out afterwork - I will have a small balanced snack that has good carbs and protein about 2 hours before my run.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other posters, so I am sorry if this is a repeat- but try doing it in the morning. I exercised in the morning for the whole first year I exercised. It was over early, I felt accomplished and it helped me to control how much I could eat in a day.

I started exercising at night (and still do in the mornings) only after I made exercise a part of my life. When I could trust I would go no matter how cold, tired, lazy, exhausted I felt.
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I start work at 7am, but my work is an hour away from home so I am up at 4:45 every day and work till 5 ;-) I have my workout gear with me, and put it on straight after work and don't go home untill I have done a walk / run along the river or gone to the gym. If I am starving, I head home, have a snack at the kitchen bench and head into the spare room and pop on a dvd. Its just about getting started - the fun starts when you break your first sweat. This is all a mind game, nothing to do with tired or moody or whatever excuse people have. In the words of NIKE - Just do it. Don't allow yourself to think of an excuse before you start your workout. Hope this helps you establish your own routine :)<3
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Since I'm sure getting up super early before work isn't an option, I will tell you what I do when I become too busy with work. I am an animator whom recently went through 3 consistent weeks of 14hr work days (7am-9 or 10pm) as well as full days of overtime on the weekends. This is the reality of my job, and some days I LITERALLY do not have enough time in the day to work out before or after work if I want to get 7 hours of sleep (some days can be extremely long during crunch time). Which believe me. I DO.

1.) Start jogging on your lunch breaks! Sometimes, this is all I have time to manage. You can start out with baby steps, like running one block, walking one block for 30 minutes.
    2.) Leave for work 30 minutes earlier and use that extra time to walk. I will leave 40 minutes earlier just so I can walk up and grab an americano before I sit down at my desk.
    3.) Sign up for a weekly class at your local gym. My gym that I go to has $3 drop ins for various classes they provide.
    4.) Find something you love to do.
    5.) Just start doing it. Take a before photo to compare as motivation for a later date when you start seeing results.

And seriously, exercising will GIVE you energy. It will wake you up. Start out small, and keep experimenting until you find something that works for you.
  • joliexlove
    Options
    can you try going before work instead?

I Start Work At 6am, The Gym Opens At 5am. Plus, Its Way Too Dark At 4am/5am To Try Any Outside Activites. LoL. Wish I Did Work Later. :frown:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Firstly... My OCD kicked into overdrive when I read your post... The First Letter Of Each Word Being Capitalized Caused Me To Start Looking For Patterns Of Some Sinister Message...

*shaking my head*

honestly - force yourself to do something before you sit on the couch. If you have time to sit on the couch, then before you do - force yourself to do 20 minutes of something.

Me, I have two kids age 5 and 7. I don't sit until after they're in bed, and by that time I'm so exhausted I've fallen asleep three times before I'm done getting them to sleep.

I still get up, and do some time on the stepper, work the bag, or even put on my iTouch and dance to my fav tunes while cleaning the kitchen.

WHEN you want it badly enough... you'll find time!

EDIT:
    and please... with all the love in the world... recognize that you are finding excuses to justify the rest. Everyone has excuses, some of them are damn good... but they're still that. Excuses.
  • joliexlove
    Options
    I found that not going home after work, and going straight to the gym gives me the best results. It is great getting home and being done. I don't feel guilty for sitting around watching TV then.

That's Probably What I'll Start To Do. Get A Gym Bag And Leave It In My Car. It Would Definitely Keep Me On Track.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

no you don't

Well put!
  • joliexlove
    Options
    Bring your workout clothes with you every day. Change at the gym. Workout immediately after work, don't even let yourself go home. It's amazing how much energy you'll have for the rest of the evening.

Exactly what I do. IO change right after work and head tp the gym. THEN I go home and veg, becasue I earned it!

Yeah, I Think That Would Work Best. I Can't Keep Going Home Cause The Couch/Bed Will Be Calling My Name.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think you have some great pointers here. My question is what kind of support system do you have? Do you have someone in your life that you can share this struggle with? Can you share with someone and get a walking/running/work out buddy? If you have someone waiting for you at the gym, you're less likely to shrug it off. A buddy can help keep you motivated, and keep you on track. Do you belong to a gym? Can you sign up for a class - if you pay $ or make a commitment of some sort, you're more likely to keep at it. You'll be personally invested in it.

How is your eating? Do you eat well? I know when I eat like crap, I feel like crap - and I don't want to move off the couch. Start eating whole foods, and you might feel your energy pick up.
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean at all but I think you said it best "maybe I'm just lazy". I think this is it. I make myself get up at 345 am to go to the gym 5 days a week and yes it sucks but the benifits far outweigh me sleeping more, I wish I could get off work at 3pm cause then I could go to the gym then. A friend once told me this

If its something you really want to do, you will find a way, if its something you really dont want to do you will find an excuse.
  • joliexlove
    Options

no you don't

If I Didn't Why Would I Be Here Asking For My Pals To Help Me With Suggestions? I Don't See How You Answered Anything. Please Make Yourself Useful And Go Away. Thanks.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Does that not take a lot more effort to make every word have a capital letter? Put this effort towards exercising instead.