How much weight did you lose before people noticed?

Options

Replies

• Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft, I'd lost about 20lbs when people started noticing, have since lost another 10lbs but no one's really said anything.
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am 5"6 and started out at 260 pounds ten weeks ago. I have lost 35 pounds and no one has noticed (except my partner but he knows I am losing weight). My parents didnt even notice nor did my in laws (who saw me this weekend just gone) and none of then have seen me since I started my journey.

So it sucks but luckily I am doing it for me, not them.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I've lost 7 lbs so far, and I can't even notice anything in the mirror. I think it depends a lot on how your body goes about losing weight, where the fat comes from. Some people drop inches very fast. With certain exercising you can stay the same weight but completely transform the way your body looks.

I think it has a lot to do with how you carry yourself as well. If you FEEL thin, and you might feel comfortable wearing clothes that fit a bit tighter, it'll be more noticable.

Edited to add: It took me about 20 lbs to notice that I had started GAINING weight 2 years ago, and I didn't think I'd gained over 20 lbs more since then, when I finally stepped on the scale about a month ago.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    People finally noticed when I was about 2stone down (5"8). However, as I tend to be around guys mainly and let's face it men don't tend to talk about these things. They might notice but not mention, just my experience
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I started at 228.4lbs. Nobody noticed until 15lbs+ were gone, then I got the occasional comment. Around 25lbs I got a BUNCH of comments. A friend from church walked up to me about a month ago and asked had I lost weight, and said that I looked skinnier in my face/neck area.

I found that you need to take pictures. When no one else is validating the change in your body, YOU can see with your own eyes that there is a change.

this was taken when I had lost 7-10lbs. Definitely made me want to cry.
    7355961762_499d855e15_s.jpg
    dillons party by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

same outfit, another 15lbs gone.
    7719017984_9b6ec5f26f_s.jpg
    IMG00645-20120726-0919 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    At 275 lbs people started noticing after I dropped 18-20 lbs, and now at 224.6 people start noticing after about ten pounds.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well I am 5'4" and down almost 40 pounds and only a few close friends have noticed, but they knew that I was starting MFP. No one else has said anything to me.
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    Nothing was said. Even when I mentioned at the end of the evening about how good I felt with my new way of eating, she just smiled and started talking about something else. This is a friend who faces similar weight struggles as myself so we usually comment on each others diet and try and get motivated from each other. It really hurt when she didnt say anything.
    That definitely sounds like jealousy to me. What a shame (and well done!)

My husband noticed pretty early on, I think, but nobody else has commented yet apart from my doctor (which makes me think it must be quite obvious if he has noticed it). I was never really big though so it's possible it would go unnoticed.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    one or two people have mentioned it, but it took about 20lb loss before anyone said anything to me. I'm 5'6.

:smile:
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft6 and it took 10lbs for people to comment
  • Linda_Kaye
    Options
    I'm 4'10" and 1/2 .. no one noticed I lost 20 pounds until I showed them my first "before and after" pic.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am 5"6 and started out at 260 pounds ten weeks ago. I have lost 35 pounds and no one has noticed (except my partner but he knows I am losing weight). My parents didnt even notice nor did my in laws (who saw me this weekend just gone) and none of then have seen me since I started my journey.

So it sucks but luckily I am doing it for me, not them.
    I'm about the same. Started exactly at 260 and I've lost 46 lbs now. A very few noticed or mentioned it about 35 lbs :huh: but at 46 lbs more have commented. That's ok we'll just have to cheer each other!! :bigsmile:
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 169 and people noticed after 6 pounds.
  • deeosborn
    deeosborn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 6', it took til i'd lost just over a stone for people to notice. i think people you see very day tend not to notice so much than people you only see occaisonally. Plus like others have said it can just be jealousy (especaily from other women) and they won't say anythign. you knwo you've lost it and you can tell in your mirror and clothes so why seek the approval of other people?! :wink:
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 so far and other than my hubby, no one has said a thing to me. My immediate family has commented that my face looks better, but nothing else. Obviously I didn't loose 63lbs from my face, so I can't imagine you can't tell that my body is physically smaller. I've gone down 4 pants sizes, 2 shirt sizes, 3 bra sizes, and have lost 25.5 inches overall. It boggles my mind that it's not noticeable.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    When I started, I was about 185lbs and no one really started to notice until I got into the 160's. The funny thing is the 1st person to notice by a long shot was my HR director at work. She brought it up about 10lbs before any one else did.

Most people started to notice/comment once I got into my 150's....
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people notice and just don't say anything. Almost like it would be calling you fat if they say "hey, you have lost a lot of weigh haven't you?" I think maybe it is more out of being polite and not bringing up my weight issue more than it is that they haven't noticed. :) I'm ok with that!

Although, now that I think about it... I had a co-worker post on my facebook page "Tanya, your looking hot! Not that you weren't hot before".

Yeah, good way to cover his *kitten*. lol
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and people really haven't noticed yet. I wear really baggy shirts tho.
    Other than my hubby, he noticed after about 10lbs because my boobs are the first thing to go apparently. :/

I'm the same height and same issue with me :(
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 started at 205 and lost some before mfp. People noticed at about 20 lbs. Fell off the wagon at 40 lost gained 10 back and now I'm almost at what I was when I fell off. I'm hoping once I get back below that and beyond it may be noticed again. :)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I started out at 252 and people didn't really notice until I lost 28lbs (two stone), even now when I've lost nearly 50lbs some of my family haven't noticed! It was frustrating at first when people didn't notice, I wondered how on earth they couldn't see I'd lost weight as i look quite different, I've dropped 4 pant sizes and 3 shirt sizes!

Now I don't care if people do or don't notice, every few weeks I'll take a look in the mirror and see changes and that makes me happy :smile: