1200 Calories? Really?

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what someone else said, as our bodies get smaller we need to consume fewer calories, not more; UNLESS we get increasingly more active as we lose weight.

Unless the person is eating well under what their ultimate maintenance number of calories is going to be at their goal weight.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I just started MFP about 10 days ago and based on my level of activity, my NET calories that I should be eating per day works out to 1200. I'm 5'7 and weigh 237 lbs. Maybe I'm not getting this, but it appears that if I ride my bike and burn an additional 500 calories, or do some kind of exercise that burns, I can then eat dinner - just kidding, then my caloric intake goes up to what I consider 1700 to 1800 calories a day (what my nutritionist said I should be eating). Does this mean that if I have one day where I don't exercise, I should restrict myself to 1200 cals per day if I want to continue to stay on track?

Also, at what point (pounds lost) should I reevaluate my caloric intake or adjust it???

Adjust to 1lb/week. I started at 1200- RIDICULOUS. At 1lb a week it is now 1600- realistic. If I am hungry or go out, no regret at ALL eating back exercise calories. The deficit is built it. Even if you eat them all back- you will still lose.

I see it if this is a long-haul thing for you... you canNOT feel deprived.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what someone else said, as our bodies get smaller we need to consume fewer calories, not more; UNLESS we get increasingly more active as we lose weight.

Unless the person is eating well under what their ultimate maintenance number of calories is going to be at their goal weight.

That is true though I have taken the other approach by adding weight and pushing workouts harder.
  • bonitacubana
    Options
    Try the "clean eating" diet (Tosca Reno). I follow that (loosely - I'm sure if true "clean-eaters" saw my diary, they wouldn't claim me lol). Before trying it, I was starving to death trying to do 1200 calories a day, and I was working out just to get the extra calories for snacks, instead of working out for me. On the whole foods approach, I ended up losing the last 15 pounds to reach my goal weight, and I was adding "treats" into my diet to get up to 1200 calories a day. It's not for everyone, but certainly worked for me.
    I love Tosca! Its a process, you dont just eat clean 100% if you were the polar opposite a few days ago...at least thats my theory. :-)
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try the "clean eating" diet (Tosca Reno). I follow that (loosely - I'm sure if true "clean-eaters" saw my diary, they wouldn't claim me lol). Before trying it, I was starving to death trying to do 1200 calories a day, and I was working out just to get the extra calories for snacks, instead of working out for me. On the whole foods approach, I ended up losing the last 15 pounds to reach my goal weight, and I was adding "treats" into my diet to get up to 1200 calories a day. It's not for everyone, but certainly worked for me.

totally! I had a hard time getting up to 1200 when I switched to clean eating because I was eating so much. That being said, my body did adapt and I eventually upped my cals so I could be more flexible with my diet. I would recommend eating whole, unprocessed foods and maybe even cutting rice and even whole wheat flour out altogether for a bit. Take a diet break every 4 weeks or so if you've been sticking to it, or get yourself up to maintenance cals once a week on your "cheat day". Good luck! You can do it!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and 216 pounds and eat over 2000 calories per day and lose anywhere from 1/2 pound- 2 pounds per week. It really is trial and error. What works for one doesn't always work for another, but there is no need to starve yourself.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 cals on weekdays and up it on the weekends, It works great for me, I am not hungry and if I work out alot I eat back the cals sometimes. I don't know why everyone bashes the 1200 cals.

Because the general idea is that is the BARE minimum one needs to survive (and actually sometimes not enough)... Ive been doing something like that for years and never lost weight because Id lose and then go crazy one day from starving (yes, actually starving, pale and sick and weak) and eat it all right back...
    Now Im trying to actually eat *gasp* MORE. I only started doing this about a week ago, so I have to give it time.. but the other way of doing things wasn't working for me and I was on the verge of passing out all the time (go figure, my BMR was 1590).

Age, gender, height and all that go into how many calories you should eat and everyone is different, no reason to tell everyone "here eat 1200 calories" and assume it is going to work. Just my 2 cents anyway.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I think your best place to start would be the kitchen.
    Purge the crap and replace it with more healthier foods. You don't need to eat like a saint.
    Cook fewer processed and canned foods. Stick with fresh or frozen
    Decrease your carbs and increase your protein and vegetables.
    Chose leaner meats when you can and try finding ways to cook them healthier.
    Figuring your portions is important *kitten* well.

Just by doing this, you can get to 1200 easier. However, i suggest starting out smaller so you don't feel defeated quickly.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • mazza227
    Options
    I went on my first diet when I was 11! I know-shocking! I have finally adopted a healthier lifestyle, no more yo-yo dieting! I feel much better about myself, and know that change is for good... no more being hungry for a month so I can squeeze into a dress!!

Its all about a change in lifestyle, so finding something that works for you, makes you feel good and can be maintained for life.

I had a serious injury last year. I wished every day that I could just get up and run! I really appreciate the fact that I can be active again.... and find time almost daily to do something active that I enjoy.

What works for me is;

- filling up on salads and veggies... if your creative, they can be really yummy, filling and very low cal

- enjoying the fresh air & varying the excercise i do.... 1200kc will be recommended on a sedentary lifestyle, the more excercise you can incorporate into daily life, the more fuel your body needs.... which means more food :smile:
  • DontWeightStartNow
    DontWeightStartNow Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind (and helpful) responses. I appreciate all of you who stuck up for me. I DID read the rules (thoroughly, this morning as a matter of fact before I posted). I did not think about researching the subject through previous posts, and even if it is re-hashed from previous posts, I'm sure there are other "newbies" as well as some veterans who found your answers helpful without an arduous search through past forum posts. I refused to be goaded into something I wasn't looking for, that's not what I'm here for. Thank you all again for your responses, I got a little bit from everyone that will be very helpful.

Back to the reason I posted, yes, my nutritionist suggested 1,800/cals per day, but I talked to her about exercise, and I believe she said that this number was inclusive of any exercise I would do daily. So when my 1,200 net number was calculated from MFP, if you include a 500 cal/day burn of any exercise, the nutritionists numbers and MFP's are actually right on.

Before joining MFP I managed to lose and keep of 40 lbs. since 2008, I just seem to be "stuck" of late and thought this site might help me to "mix things up a bit". After reading everyone's suggestions, I upped my goal loss to 1.5 lbs./week, as a diabetic, I took on someone else's suggestion to lower my carb counts and adjust my protein and fats. This gives me another 230 calories a day which I'm pretty sure will get me to where I should be. I'll test it out over the next couple weeks let you know how I do! Thanks again!!
  • DontWeightStartNow
    DontWeightStartNow Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I want to say this...you're only 10 days in. Going from whatever you did, to a 1200 calorie diet seems ridiculous. But, you're used to over-sized portions, probably. You're used to eating until you're stuffed, probably. You're not used to counting, and measuring, and only eating a little at a time. It takes some adjustment. Actually, it takes a lot of adjustment.

One question I have is I am not sure why you are not just doing what your nutritionist told you to do?

Dear Neverstray: It was my nutritionist who suggested this website!!! Hey, any info. in ADDITION to what she has to say has only been a plus and this site definitely has been very helpful. It just takes some tweaking from all sources of knowledge until you find a great fit that works for you. :happy:
  • anikisa
    anikisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree. I started 3 days ago and 1200 calories is HARD to stick to, but I am going to do my best because I am motivated. If it is more comfortable and easier for you to lose 1 lb per week, then do that. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks, so I want to drop weight pretty fast. After my trip, I will adjust to losing 1lb per week to make my life a little more tolerable (it is not fun to be hungry!).

You do not have to be hungry!! if you eat correctly you can eat as much as you want though out the day :) i went to youtube n found the psyche truth channel i watch corrina's videos and it help me a lot! ( i know eating correctly is hard but if you r motivated then you can do it!!!!)
  • anikisa
    anikisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A 1200 calorie meal plan is not easy, but it can be done. I found that juicing fresh fruits and vegetables helps to make you feel fuller longer, and the fresh juice is much lower in calories than any juice from the store. A 16oz glass is about 60 calories, and it tastes better than store bought juice.

i completely agree!!!!:) store bought juice has TONS of added sugar that make you bloated and spikes your blood sugar among other things :)
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    Another tip I have is try to eat a big breakfast. Make that your biggest meal. I will typically have two eggs (I don't have eggs everyday), a piece of whole wheat toast, a packet of oatmeal with a little honey drizzled on it and a greek yogurt. I break it up into two breakfasts usually. I'll eat a bit early and then a bit an hour or two later. I will also have a protein shake as soon as I get up. It has 160 cals and 34 grams of protein for one scoop and it's actually good. A lot of protein will help curb your appetite.

I keep peanut butter, almonds, tomatoes, apples, bananas, pears, rice cakes, cheese sticks and hard boiled eggs at work and that's what I will snack on if I get hungry. I don't eat anything directly out of the bag. I count out my almonds or chips or whatever I'm munching on. It's easy to lose touch with how much we put in our mouths. Once I start munching, I could polish off a bag of anything. That's just a few more little things that help me out to stay on track.

You lost a bunch of weight before, so you can do it again...I have faith in you! Good job to everyone out there fighting this battle!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I just started MFP about 10 days ago and based on my level of activity, my NET calories that I should be eating per day works out to 1200. I'm 5'7 and weigh 237 lbs. Maybe I'm not getting this, but it appears that if I ride my bike and burn an additional 500 calories, or do some kind of exercise that burns, I can then eat dinner - just kidding, then my caloric intake goes up to what I consider 1700 to 1800 calories a day (what my nutritionist said I should be eating). Does this mean that if I have one day where I don't exercise, I should restrict myself to 1200 cals per day if I want to continue to stay on track?

Also, at what point (pounds lost) should I reevaluate my caloric intake or adjust it???

#1. read the forum rules.

#2. search forum for 1200 calorie posts.. and eating exercise calories back.

#3. if you find nothing, THEN post.

Im sure you may find SOMETHING about it... maybe one or two posts..

Although you may have meant this in a helpful way, I can see how someone would have been put off by your "Help".

If someone said this to me, I would feel like they were saying I didn't have the right to post until I checked out what everyone else had to say. It comes off as rude, although you may not have meant it that way.

Sometimes people want to have "THEIR" own personal questions answered.

Would you care for a tissue?
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options

#1. read the forum rules.

#2. search forum for 1200 calorie posts.. and eating exercise calories back.

#3. if you find nothing, THEN post.

Im sure you may find SOMETHING about it... maybe one or two posts..

Although you may have meant this in a helpful way, I can see how someone would have been put off by your "Help".

If someone said this to me, I would feel like they were saying I didn't have the right to post until I checked out what everyone else had to say. It comes off as rude, although you may not have meant it that way.

Sometimes people want to have "THEIR" own personal questions answered.

Would you care for a tissue?

In case my earlier response got lost in the shuffle, I will suggest again that you might want to read the rules of this site before demanding that others do so.

Rule 1 for example:
    Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

As well as Rule 9:
    We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating at 1200. I'm stuffed all day.

I'm tiny though. You've got like 6 inches on me.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Why is a certain spam bot allowed to go into every thread just cutting and pasting the same exact responses, word for word?? Good lord.....:noway: **coughcoughcaliforniagirlcoughcough** It gets old after the one millionth time.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Why is a certain spam bot allowed to go into every thread just cutting and pasting the same exact responses, word for word?? Good lord.....:noway: **coughcoughcaliforniagirlcoughcough** It gets old after the one millionth time.

I must of missed her cut and paste in this thread? Didn't see the usual link to her gorgeous-ness?