Is it terrible that when my husband...

Options

Replies

• mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    You could always pounce on him. I'm sure he'd stop talking.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Do you look like J.D. from Scrubs when he is talking to you? If not, don't worry about it. just smile and nod.

My_Night_to_Remember.jpg
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Is it terrible that when my husband is talking to me about work, my mind drifts in and out of the conversation?

No, because your husband is doing the same thing when you go on and on about your day.

This makes me feel better. :laugh:
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Do you look like J.D. from Scrubs when he is talking to you? If not, don't worry about it. just smile and nod.

My_Night_to_Remember.jpg

I'm not sure. Living room was dark. Only the t.v. was on, and I was getting hammered on my second glass of wine. I just remember thinking... mhm... my face feels hot.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You sure you're not a man lol?? I have to lift my shirt every 3 minutes for my husband to pay attention:)

Im lucky, my husband doesnt talk much.

LMAO!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    You're being very rude to your husband. He's taking the time to confide in his partner about his day. The person that he should be able to confide in.

Yeah, but who cares about the minutiae? If I started babbling to my husband about a frustration with an animation not coming to life the way I envisioned, or some bit of code that was giving me trouble on a website, his eyes would gloss over and he'd definitely ignore me. And vice versa. I don't give a damn about the trivialities of his job either. Unless you work in the same field, it's pretty boring and/or completely irrelevant.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You're being very rude to your husband. He's taking the time to confide in his partner about his day. The person that he should be able to confide in.

Yeah, but who cares about the minutiae? If I started babbling to my husband about a frustration with an animation not coming to life the way I envisioned, or some bit of code that was giving me trouble on a website, his eyes would gloss over and he'd definitely ignore me. And vice versa. I don't give a damn about the trivialities of his job either. Unless you work in the same field, it's pretty boring and/or completely irrelevant.

Didn't quite catch my follow up, did you?
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I should point out that every other time I have no trouble having a conversation about his work. I find it very interesting. It was just yesterday, I simply couldn't follow the conversation at all. But, I didn't know what to do. It was a bit surreal to be honest.

You posted because you were not paying attention one time??

Eek. Not trying to get everyone riled up. Just wanted to know what the etiquette is on these things.

The way I see it, there is no etiquette in a marriage. It depends on the type of relationship. We are open enough to say "im not really listening right now" without the other one getting upset. So it depends on the person and kind of relationship you have.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

^^This... what I wouldn't give for a man who actually wants to share with me. Well share his day and experiences, not just his C.O.C.K.

Right because that's clearly all she uses him for. Jeez. Why the need to be so crass? :noway:

OP, I'm right there with you. :laugh: Happens a lot. I just tune out sometimes but I listen when it's important. I assume he does the same. Don't worry about it.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I do this too and my husband is aware that I'm not listening. But it's still therapeutic for him to tell me about his day regardless if I'm listening or not :) He doesn't care. I still pretend to listen!
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    he's letting you talk about your thesis FIRST? you should be paying as much attention to him as he to you. figure out how much that is & call it fair ;)

you may want to drink the wine AFTER he talks about his day....
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    I don't think so. I do this too and my husband is aware that I'm not listening. But it's still therapeutic for him to tell me about his day regardless if I'm listening or not :) He doesn't care. I still pretend to listen!

I think that's why I didn't stop him. I wanted to. But, I had this feeling like maybe it didn't matter if I was or wasn't listening. He just needed to rant and rave.

We weren't trying to solve a specific problem that needed my full attention.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hell, my mind wanders in conversation with most people. I just don't care... That doesn't mean I don't like them, of course.

In the middle of typing that sentence I went to go read something else...
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think your husband deserves your full uninvited attention. I agree with the people who said if you can't concentrate, to tell them and have have them come back to you in X amount of time to continue. I tell my boyfriend all the time, "I don't understand what you're saying because my mind is really elsewhere. Let me clear my head, then we can talk about whatever it is you're talking about."
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    just let him talk, i do this to, well, pretty much everybody
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    he's letting you talk about your thesis FIRST? you should be paying as much attention to him as he to you. figure out how much that is & call it fair ;)

you may want to drink the wine AFTER he talks about his day....

OMG! You're right. I'm submitting my doctoral thesis in about 3 weeks time, so, it's fully consumed my life.
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You sure you're not a man lol??

Lost track half way through but was thinking this for sure.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Did make any of these faces?

0_21_450.jpg

man-ignoring-wife.jpg
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend talks about cars this is what I do. LOL. Or sports. He knows it too...he's fine with it. Sometimes it just helps to hear yourself say something out loud. And it makes him not seem crazy for talking to himself :)
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

We talk about work only if something really importand happenned. If not it goes like this ..me : "How was work today"..Him : "eh nothing interesting, yours?"