Mcdonalds...

Options

Replies

• mudpuddlegirl
    Options
    Recently, Dunkin Donuts has strategically built a new drive-thru/walk-in building located conveniently on the road leading to my daughter's high school. I am usually not tempted by this establishment. But yesterday I actually planned to leave my house early to pick her up from school so I could stop in to pick up a "treat" for myself and my daughter for our drive home. As I was in the turning lane to the street that this building is located on and also the way to the school, I was deciding whether I should "drive-thru" or walk-in....I chose to drive past!! Victory was mine!
  • MizMliss
    MizMliss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This morning there was a mandatory communications meeting at my job, my wonderful company generally provides breakfast for such events. The breakfast on this day was, bagel & egg sandwiches. I ate one, it was delicious, cheesy, warm bacon-y. I was so thrilled to be eating something that isn't oatmeal I grabbed a second sandwich on my way out of the meeting without even thinking about it. After I logged my first sandwich calories, I stared at my second sandwich guiltily (longingly) for a while, weighing its cheesy deliciousness to calorie intake.... After a bit of a struggle, I walked the sandwich back into the kitchen, put it back and walked away.

I walked away from food. Free food. FREE DELICIOUS FOOD. I am really proud of myself for not beating myself up for eating the damn thing in the first place, and I'm REALLY proud for not shame eating a second sandwich.

Small but important victory for me.
  • roswyn80
    roswyn80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well done you! :D McDonald's is so hard to resist, but I found after going junk-free for a month that it made me feel kinda sick after eating it!

... though I have occasionally had a small nuggets, and I'm a sucker for an Oreo McFlurry. ;D
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am totally crushing on you right now Pug! Not only did you not give in to the double burgers, nuggets and fried but I picked up that you were NOT drunk and you were taking home a drunk buddy! GOOD FOR YOU for the whole story! And congratulations!
  • manda2980
    manda2980 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't love you anymore, Wendy's. It's not you, it's me. Well, it IS you.

I love that, made me giggle
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Very good! The only thing I will eat from there is the yogurt and fruit parfait. Years ago I ordered a breakfast sandwich, and the canadian bacon had spoiled. We were on a trip, so I didn't get to go back there and complain.

Then I accidentally left the sandwich in the bag in the car while we were hiking, and when we came back the car reeked like spoiled meat. Every time I even see a McDonalds, I memory-smell that horrible experience. So really - I don't even go there. But every once in a great while I'm riding with someone who does, and the yogurt and fruit is always perfect.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am totally crushing on you right now Pug!

every time I see this kind of statement I want to start slapping someone
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My BF and I were out doing some errands. We were deciding between Subway and Jack in the Box. Obviously neither of these are the healthiest but Subway is the healthier choice. At first we went to Jack in the Box because I figured I could find SOMETHING there but when we got there, I looked at the menu board, saw all the calories and was like "we gotta goooo" and my bf is awesome so we went to Subway instead. I can't believe I resisted Jbox though.
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. I occasionally have a grilled chicken snack wrap from there, and a McFlurry. It's okay to treat yourself every once in a while.

I'm just left scratching my head over responses like these. Did you even read the OP?

I suppose it was inevitable that this thread would turn into a bunch of people telling you that because they themselves eat fast food regularly, it's therefore a healthy choice for YOU to eat McDonald's. Don't forget to use the words "treat" and "moderation" in abundance. I just didn't expect it by page two.

1400 calories a day? Sure, I'll eat 4 double cheeseburgers and tell myself i'm healthy cause I ate under my calorie goals! :smokin:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1400 calories a day? Sure, I'll eat 4 double cheeseburgers and tell myself i'm healthy cause I ate under my calorie goals! :smokin:

lol... Gotta watch them macro nutrients! (I am a control freak and watch everything MFP allows us to track >.> )
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Total victory! Good job!

My recent victory is this... I live in a weird situation where my landlord actually lives in the downstairs of my house, not in a separate house. I'm a college student. Well, my landlord is a kind, grandmother-type lady who always bakes for us and sets out huge dishes of chocolate and candy for us to grab as we come in and out of the house (It's placed right beside the front door). I used to grab a piece of chocolate every single time I passed the bowl. Literally. However many times I went in and out of the house that day, I'd eat that many pieces of chocolate. I am now currently at the point where I walk past the chocolate bowl every day and don't grab a piece :) I let myself have one once or twice a week... but not near what I was eating!
  • m6speedracer
    Options
    I eat at McDonalds at least 5 times a week and have been losing over two pounds a week for a month and a half. I also drink a couple times a week, the key is what you choose and how much of it you eat. I order two Mcdoubles with no cheese and two side salads with light italian dressing. If you ditch the buns and use half the dressing, you end up consuming about 425 Calories. You get a half pound of beef, and two small salads for 4$. Unbeatable in terms of value and ease, especially considering ground beef costs 4$ a pound at the grocery store.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

treat-yo-self-donna.gif
  • Puggy33
    Options

lol... Gotta watch them macro nutrients! (I am a control freak and watch everything MFP allows us to track >.> )

I'm going for macro first, micro will happen when i'm comfortable and regularly eating my goal number. It's another nsv i'm going for,
  • Puggy33
    Options
    treat-yo-self-donna.gif

Don't be hatin. :wink:
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I commend you on your better choice. As a mom to a newborn, time doesn't always allow for me to cook a meal. If you must choose fast, at least choose that which is caloric safe

I can cook a healthy meal in the time it'd take you to get to a fast food restaurant, order and get back!

I have 2 kids under 2 years old. Its crazy at home but you get used to it and you just have to cook because when they're on normal food you'll want them to eat healthy from a young age.

Congrates OP on that victory. I did a similar thing at BK and it felt good. The one i really do miss though is a stuffed crust pizza, i dont think i could be near anyone eating one i wouldnt be able to stop. I just have to keep away :(
  • scrivnerbob
    scrivnerbob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Way to go! McDonalds is what convinced me that I needed to change my lifestyle. One morning I was in in the drive thru lane and had already ordered when I realized that I did not have any cash. I told the clerk that I was sorry, but that I would run to the ATM and be right back to pay for my food. She stopped me, handed me my breakfast and said "Don't worry about coming back, we'll take care of it today and tomorrow you can pay usback." - I accepted and went on my way. Later when I was retelling the story about the surprising great customer service that I recieved at McDonalds someone pointed out to me that I may be eating too much McDonalds when you have a in-house charge account. Ther person started re-telling the story like a Jeff Foxworthy you might be a redneck.... but insted you might be fat if... you have a charge account at McDonalds.

Since starting on MFP 3 weeks ago I have hit the McDonalds dirve thru once. And I went way down over my normal order. Passed on the fries, I also passed on the Coke. Simply had a Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich. - But I could still smell the french fries.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Many of my local McDonald's restaurants have a menu board with lower calorie options. I think with fast food, the key (for me, that is, others may have more will power) is to not eat the things that got me in so much trouble in the first place. I do eat at McD's almost every morning, but instead of the Sausage Egg McMuffin breakfast meal, I get an Egg McMuffin and a Diet Coke at the drive-through window. 300 calories, which very easily fits into my normal 1850 daily goal. It is relatively low in fat and relatively high in protein, and while I'm aware no one's ever going to call it health food, I love it, and it's really, really easy, so it helps me get the day started.

I used to eat the grilled chipotle snack wraps (250), but I started to feel like I was doing that too often, so now I just wait until I get home and make a salad instead. If I have a lot of calories left towards the end of the day, I'll sometimes have a grilled chicken club sandwich. These are all things that I didn't eat before I decided to lose weight. Back in the day, it was the Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese value meal, large sized.

Similarly, there are times when I could easily fit a Wendy's Double into my daily calorie count, but I just can't go there because that's the way I used to eat. Nowadays, the idea of eating one nauseates me a little, and I hope that I continue to feel that way forever.

When I want to splurge a little these days, I like to go to Chipotle. For just under 500 calories (burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, chicken, mild and medium salsa), I get so much satisfaction. And if I really want to feel like I'm getting away with something bad, I'll have them add cheese. Still under 600 calories.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. I occasionally have a grilled chicken snack wrap from there, and a McFlurry. It's okay to treat yourself every once in a while.

I'm just left scratching my head over responses like these. Did you even read the OP?

I suppose it was inevitable that this thread would turn into a bunch of people telling you that because they themselves eat fast food regularly, it's therefore a healthy choice for YOU to eat McDonald's. Don't forget to use the words "treat" and "moderation" in abundance. I just didn't expect it by page two.

I didn't say "regularly", now did I? You don't have to agree with me, but you also don't have to be a prick about it. :grumble:
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Nice job making a good choice in a place that making good choices is difficult.

A recent small victory of mine was stopping at Wendy's and choosing the Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich, with nothing on it. It's just grilled chicken, with no coating. It came to 130 cals with 27 g of protein. It was the healthiest fast food choice I ever made.

The nutrition guides for Wendy's are better than the other fast food choices I have seen because they break down the nutrition values to the components -- the meat, bun, cheese, toppings, etc are all listed separately. It makes getting just what you want and logging it accurately much easier.

That's a big step for me, but unlike the OP, I was able to make the choice without babysitting a drunk friend.

I would still one day like to have a threesome with Wendy and Little Debbie.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!