Replies

• Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Suits-Harvey-Specter-4.png
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Have to disagree with you on this. 3-button is too NFL/NBA. 2-Button is timeless and can be used everywhere, any time.
    graysuit.jpg
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Nothing sexier than a man in a well-fitted suit. Avoid double-breasted suits - they add weight.
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    looking to get a suit I don't really have a reason I just don't have one in the closet

Definitely! Every guy needs at least one suit. You just never know the events or occasions to which you may be called. As for me? I have 3 suits in my closet. Black, grey (with thin and barely noticeable stripes) and dark brownish. I love to wear the brown one in the fall, complete with an argyle sweater vest and dark tie...or my blue or grey sweater vest and a plaid tie. May look a bit school boy, but it looks good. Add brown shoes and bam!

The grey suit pops the instant I add a light pink shirt underneath and the black suit instantly makes me feel like James Bond the moment I wear it. Every man needs a suit, especially if it makes him feel like James Bond.

Besides, women love suits and they'll tell you that it's because you look so handsome. That may be so, but honestly, I think they all like to open intricately wrapped gifts and the moment you show up gift-wrapped in a suit they're already thinking about getting you alone after dinner. Every girl likes a present. ;)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    everyone NEEDS one good suit! :noway: Get one Srick with the basics. I just peeked 45 and no other suit get a standard one color single-breasted suit and It will IMPREESS THE LADIES! ThrOW in a yes Ma am and if your a decent sort well==DATE 4 U so pick up a sweet lookin shirt too!:laugh: And dont forget a nice and cared for pair of shoes to go along a must do!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Never know when you might have an awesome interview come up or worst case a funeral.

Nothing worse than a funeral and you having to go out shopping for something appropraite to wear when that's the last thing you feel like doing.....
  • andy56156
    Options
    Chicks dig dudes in suits!

I have about 6 (including the one I got married in).

This weekend the wife and I are going out, and I plan on rocking one.

Chicks dig it!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Suits-Harvey-Specter-4.png

Yes!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Joseph A Banks is always having sales--they are decent quality suits if you just need a suit to have in your closet. Their styles are pretty timeless; however they don't have a ton of variety. The other downfall is if you need extensive tailoring, we've found that their in-house service is usually lacking. My brother is a weightlifter and has a very athletic body--his tailoring is a nightmare!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would check this article out. It has great info:

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200608/how-to-buy-a-suit-slideshow#slide=1
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you are only going to have 1 suit, get a solid, classic style in a dark charcoal/grey or dark navy. Get a few different colors of pinpoint collar shirts and a boatload of ties. With that combo, you can make a bunch of different looks with the same suit.

No matter what you get, learn how a suit is supposed to fit and make sure yours fits well. The salesperson is not your friend - they are trying to sell you the suit! Know for yourself what constitutes a good fitting suit and keep looking until you find one. If they have to do any tailoring other than hemming the pants and maybe the sleeves and POSSIBLY a minor adjustment to the pants band, I'd keep looking.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    100% Wool, get fitted and have it professionally tailored, and whatever you do, do not spend less than $500.

Hugo Boss makes some of the best suits, but just about any Italian brand will hang quite lovely on you.

Always remember men:(professionally tailored, fine fiber)suit = women:lingerie. When we see a man in a suit, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of him looks like.

Oh, and don't forget the shoes and other accessories! Never underestimate the accents.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If you're not in a hurry, check the thrift stores. Men's suit styles haven't changed much in the last 15 years or so. I scored my favorite suit that way and it was only $14 for a wool suit I get compliments on all the time. Of course, for me usually the pants are too short, but sometimes they have enough fabric in them.
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    100% Wool, get fitted and have it professionally tailored, and whatever you do, do not spend less than $500.

Hugo Boss makes some of the best suits, but just about any Italian brand will hang quite lovely on you.

Always remember men:(professionally tailored, fine fiber)suit = women:lingerie. When we see a man in a suit, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of him looks like.

Oh, and don't forget the shoes and other accessories! Never underestimate the accents.

Excellent points on all fronts. Fully concur with you! I saved up and went with Armani. I kind of feel like a big deal whenever I wear it.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I already said so in my previous post, but wouldn't tailoring be a pretty foolish idea whilst losing weight?
    It will lose its perfect fit straight away.

Makes sense to at least wait for your weight to stabilise.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I like suits. I have about 18+ suits in my apartment. I think its a classier look and any reason to wear suit is a good reason.

If this is your first suit, buy a good suit. Spend some coins on it. While you donot have to have a custom made one for the first suit, you should definitely goto a spot like mens wearhouse or something and have them look at you and suggest you a whole attire (shoes, complete suit, couple of shirts to go with it and couple of ties).

One important thing. Donot use the jacket of the suit with different pairs of pants. The main reason is that if you endup washing pants and jacket different times, the color stops matching and it looks odd. Also, dark blue or black is the color to go with for the first suit.

Good luck and enjoy :)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Department stores, particularly Carsons or Bergners (depending on your area) often have classic-style suits marked down. The one by us always marks them down 50-75% when they get a new style in, but since suits dont change that much, the new and old style aren't much different. Some dept stores also have decent in-house tailoring.

I also agree with the charcoal grey - looks good with everything!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I already said so in my previous post, but wouldn't tailoring be a pretty foolish idea whilst losing weight?
    It will lose its perfect fit straight away.

Makes sense to at least wait for your weight to stabilise.

I think spending money on your first suit like this, specially when its not needed is unnecessary. As much as I love suits and love custom made suits, I wouldn't suggest it for the first timer. Get a feel of what you like, how you like your suits etc. A $250+ suit will do just fine for a start, specially if you're losing weight. Once you know what kind of material you like, where are the good spots to buy good suits etc you can go and get tailor made but for now, men's wearhouse or other spots are good enough.
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Get one with a jacket and vest. It’s a classic look that is never far out of style but always differs from the crowd.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Where's ket the jet when we need him.

Get it fitted. Nothing sexier than a cut just right suit