Existing on a LOWER CLASS Income

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
The idiocy of small businesses NOT offering benefits options for full-time employees:

If you have to call out sick, you lose a day's wage. Not only do you have to cross your fingers that you will still have a job when you are healthy again (right-to-work states for the lose) and not only do you NOT get to stay home and recuperate, but, since you have no insurance, you have to spend two to three times a day's wage to pay a doctor to write a note you can bring your employer stating what you already knew: that you are ill and need to stay home and rest.

All so you can keep your job and struggle to stay afloat on your nationally-recognized poverty-level income schedule. There is something very wrong with this process.

I would be willing to work EXTRA DAYS on my healthy days to EARN sick pay, vacation pay and health benefits. But it's not even an OPTION.

I can't wait til I can figure out how to afford school, finally get a degree and leave this retail bull**** behind.

I feel like a prostitute.

Replies

• dumbbanana
    Options

They probably make more money.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I can't wait til I can figure out how to afford school, finally get a degree and leave this retail bull**** behind.

This is a genuine comment. How do people not afford school nowadays? I went to school on loans, pell grants (only AFTER I turned 23) and working. I definitely don't have a pretty loan history (only 40k in debt from loans at the end of a 4yr degree that took me 6.5 years :drinker: ) but I'm so confused how people can't afford school with the pell grants, loans, scholarships, working opportunities available.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I do not know your personal situation so forgive any ludicrous advice, but I come at your situation from several angles:

I got through an expensive pair of schools and worked in between but those were different times (1975 to 1986).

I currently have three daughters in college. They and we manage based on these factors: Community college is cheaper and can be just as good - two years of no debt before going to the more prestigeous and expensive school. The community college route is geared to help you find money (grants, scholarships) and work, It is easier to make the money go farther when tuition is $600/semester versus $20,000+ a semester at UCLA or UCSD. I do alumni interviews for candidates applying to Rice U and Brown U, and it hurts knowing I am encouraging them to spend $40-50K a year. Community colleges can be GREAT!

Lack of money issues can be addressed several ways. Find an area where the cost of living is lower, but I know moving is expensive and difficult. I was in your shoes (maybe) and moved from Houston TX to Oak Ridge Tenn and the difference in cost of living was HUGE.

Find a better paying job (by using some of these tactics). My experience and the experience of my oldest student is the same with respect to starting a career. We started out doing volunteer in the field we were interested in, and it led to a great-paying part-time job with benefits within a year. Look for the jobs that pay more in your market and figure out what those employers need and then get yourself as qualified as you can to get your foot in the door and prove to them you can meet their needs. Worst case? Apply for the many contract jobs overseas (mostly Afganistan) that pay $240,000/yr but you give up everything at home and what America has to offer you. Overseas (I did 4 years) is lucrative and exciting but dangerous. Use employment agencies and temp agencies to give you an idea of what employers are looking for so you know how to focus your training and education.

You are not in a great spot and I hope I haven't upset you more. One of my daughter's worked for Nordstrom's and you are correct; it is prostitution. Which is not a good way to make more money........
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

This is a genuine comment. How do people not afford school nowadays? I went to school on loans, pell grants (only AFTER I turned 23) and working. I definitely don't have a pretty loan history (only 40k in debt from loans at the end of a 4yr degree that took me 6.5 years :drinker: ) but I'm so confused how people can't afford school with the pell grants, loans, scholarships, working opportunities available.

The problem is that even after a degree graduates are not finding jobs... or if they are finding jobs it's no where near enough to juggle life plus paying back those loans! ...

It's not as easy as, go get a loan, go to school, graduate, make money, pay back said loan.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    At all the places I have worked, only 1 required a doctors note for a sick day - and that was if you were out for more then 3 days in a row. And they didn't enforce it. Most places don't require them. If they do it is because sick days have been abused or taken instead of vacation.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Well there is a business idea
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My husband works for a small business (7 employees). There is no way his employer could ever afford to provide health insurance and the employees probably couldn't afford to kick in their share even if it was offered.

When I get sick I pay $60 to my local urgent care. No biggie.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This! I am just about to finish my degree on student loans... but for real, my sister went to a tech school and paid for it out-of-pocket. Where there's a will, there's a way!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Not sure when you went to school but

economix-02costs-blog480.jpg
    source: BLS

Energy costs up, health care costs [for employees] up, state funding for universities down equals above graph...
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Been there. Or how about, going to work on a day that normal businesses are closed due to the heavy snow. And getting stuck and having to get towed on the way home. Spent way more than my day of wages.

It sucks. It's rape. It's inhumane.

And my experience was after I got a B.A. I did find something better though. Hopefully you will too if you stick it out and keep your head up. Good luck!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Not sure when you went to school but

economix-02costs-blog480.jpg

Rates may have increased, but I'm a single with two kids, work full-time, and still managed. There are all sorts of programs out there. One just has to take the time to look for them... and perhaps do a little less whining on the internet.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My husband works for a small business (7 employees). There is no way his employer could ever afford to provide health insurance and the employees probably couldn't afford to kick in their share even if it was offered.

When I get sick I pay $60 to my local urgent care. No biggie.
    Didn't you know? All small business owners are part of the 1%
  • Micheetah
    Micheetah Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    yikes! thats harsh. Sounds like where u are working is not employee friendly :indifferent: But there are definitely choices that u can make to change that the same way ur taking control of ur health on MPF. def agree that community college is the way to go for the first 2 yrs, def try living somewhere cheaper or with roommates, I lived w/roommates for years until i got engaged and i loved it, having a house but paying half the rent, and def find a new job! I have been lower class plenty and with a son no less, it gets rough but u can make it. My mom was always really hard on me to push myself and make the smart choice and im thankful because now i can totally handle business. Hope things look up for u soon.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options

That is exactly why people can't afford school. Sure, you can afford school (if you have the time for school as many schools have very ****ty night/weekend programs) with loans, but what about when you graduate, still can't find a job and those loans come due? You're in a worse off position than you were before.

I did the same thing as you it sounds. I was living on my own and *had* to work full time to be able to afford a place to live, food, insurance... the only school that was within distance to go to was an overpriced private school. I didn't have the option of a state school. I already had my associates and wracked up 40k + interest for about 2.5 years worth of school. My loans were tuition only - I had zero loans for any other expenditures.

I now have a bachelors and work as an entry level retard in an office making a barely liveable wage. I still cannot afford rent, food or anything else because of my student loans that I have to pay back.

I can't go back to school to get my masters because I could never afford that. At this point in my life, I would have given my right arm to have not gotten my degree because it was simply unaffordable. Yes, there are loans, but then you have to pay them back at a ripe 6.8% interest rate and post graduate jobs with a liveable salary are not easy to get - if they exist at all.

ETA: and while I certiantly used "I" a lot, it is not simply a me story. While I went to school with many people who were lucky enough to either be living with their parents or a spouse who could support them, the single independent ones are in that same position (especially the fools who I did the education program with)!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Going through college on student loans means you actually accomplish something. It's way easier to make excuses than to accomplish something. Excuses are safe and fuzzy and they don't require effort.

I paid zero dollars out of my pocket to acquire the college degree I earned. I borrowed all of the needed money from the government. ALL OF IT. And 8 years later, I have had no financial repercussions from being unable to pay back the student loans (yet). I'd rather owe money to the Federal govt. than any other creditor. Call them up - Hey can I get a forbearance? Yup. See you next year.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I've been in bad spots in my life like that too. Life goes on and you can work your way out of crappy situations. My life is half over now and I'm glad that when I was younger I learned how to do without the latest and greatest things. Paying off debt is daunting (just like weight loss). Being in what feels like a losing situation is daunting, my husband and I were there for many many years, and it's especially hard when you have children because your expenses go way up.

Just like weight loss, school, work, finances, it's the day to day grind, focus on the end goal, not very exciting process, biting your tongue when you want to scream, that finally gets you there in the end. Have an achiever mindset rather than a failure avoidance mindset, have discipline and take steps in the direction to get you out of the situation you don't like, and it will happen. It won't be easy. Nothing worthwhile is easy.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    At all the places I have worked, only 1 required a doctors note for a sick day - and that was if you were out for more then 3 days in a row. And they didn't enforce it. Most places don't require them. If they do it is because sick days have been abused or taken instead of vacation.

most places won't even look at anything written by your doctor because of HIPAA privacy laws.

I work retail and I have paid holidays, sick pay, paid time off, insurance, flexible spending accounts......my advice is to find a different employer! Maybe a bigger one with benefits! "small" businesses don't offer insurance because they don't get group discounts with insurance companies, so you would either have to pay your whole premium (which you wouldn't do because it would most likely be more than your paycheck) or they would have to eat all that, and let's face it, your employer is here to make money for themselves, not take care of your medical bills.......
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

It sucks. It's rape. It's inhumane.

hyperbole much? These people gave you a job, for goodness sakes. You're free to vacate it if it's so "inhumane".
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

I did the same student loans and pell grants. I also maxed out a credit card or two.
    For the loans I only borrowed what I needed to survive.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your situation certainly sounds tough, and I wouldn't dream of minimizing your difficulties. It might not help with most of your problems, but starting next year, you should at least be able to get heavily subsidized health insurance.
This discussion has been closed.