Existing on a LOWER CLASS Income

Options

Replies

• dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    School and health are paid by the government.

You silly Canadians. I wonder what it is you think your taxes pay for. :noway:

This is all such a load. "I can't afford college." "My parents never went to college, so they don't see the value in it and won't help me." "I'm getting raped by having to work a fast food drive-thru window" :sad: :sad: :sad:

I grew up poor. My parents didn't go to college. I busted my *kitten* in high school to get as many scholarships as I could, got a few bucks in Pell grants (seriously, I got like $450 a semester), and the rest of it I paid for by getting a J-O-B. I graduated with ZERO debt. The reason college is so freaking expensive now is because the government throws unlimited funds at people in the form of student loans. Many of thse people should not even be going to college (yes, I said it ... college is not for everyone). And then you have morons majoring in "literary journalism" or some other such nonsense instead of getting a marketable degree with an income potential that allows them to pay back their loans within a reasonable time period.

Furthermore, a college education entitles you to a diploma, not a job. Nobody OWES you employment or a fat paycheck.

Finally, stop acting like you're a victim because you find yourself working at a job that doesn't give you benefits. At least for now, America is still the land of the free. You don't have to work there. If your wages aren't good enough for you, then quit. Go sit at home and collect your welfare check and be glad it's now the government, instead of your boss, who is exploiting you.

Sweet fancy Moses ... if you wonder why America is in the crapper, take a long, hard look at the whiny pansies in this thread.

:drinker:
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My bf and I are in the SAME BOAT and we both have engineering degrees!!! smh...I'm drowning in school debt working a job that doesn't even require a degree and my poor bf can't catch break between cars breaking down and all other types of expenses. The reason we're both not homeless is because we stay with our parents! All we can do is keep looking for employment that will give us financial freedom and make our 4 years of schooling worth the hard work and effort.

And for the people [/]b who had this to say:
    "I grew up poor. My parents didn't go to college. I busted my butt in high school to get as many scholarships as I could, got a few bucks in Pell grants (seriously, I got like $450 a semester), and the rest of it I paid for by getting a J-O-B. I graduated with ZERO debt." Sweet fancy Moses ...

****STAFF NOTE: Post has been edited due to violations of guideline #17****
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it then put your money were your mouth is when you vote. If it wasn't for the government putting undo burden on businesses with there idiotic laws and regulations, businesses would be able to offer full time jobs with great benifits.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I can't wait til I can figure out how to afford school, finally get a degree and leave this retail bull**** behind.

I feel like a prostitute.

This is a genuine comment. How do people not afford school nowadays? I went to school on loans, pell grants (only AFTER I turned 23) and working. I definitely don't have a pretty loan history (only 40k in debt from loans at the end of a 4yr degree that took me 6.5 years :drinker: ) but I'm so confused how people can't afford school with the pell grants, loans, scholarships, working opportunities available.

The problem is that even after a degree graduates are not finding jobs... or if they are finding jobs it's no where near enough to juggle life plus paying back those loans! ...

It's not as easy as, go get a loan, go to school, graduate, make money, pay back said loan.

This! I got my degree more than 10 years ago and had decent jobs until 2009. I'm now making less that I did in college. It's a sign of the times, but hopefully things will get better.

ETA And for the record, I grew up dirt poor and put myself through school. I don't feel entitled to anything ... I'm grateful to even have a job, but I do feel like most of the middle class's situation could be better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it then put your money were your mouth is when you vote. If it wasn't for the government putting undo burden on businesses with there idiotic laws and regulations, businesses would be able to offer full time jobs with great benifits.

The person I vote for never wins. Everyone keeps putting Republicans and Democrats into office instead. :frown:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your college have a walk in clinic? Most towns do, usually no in the best part of town. But it's typically $20, antibiotics are 5 pr 7$.

Most people who didn't grow up poor usually aren't aware of this
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

This is all such a load. "I can't afford college." "My parents never went to college, so they don't see the value in it and won't help me." "I'm getting raped by having to work a fast food drive-thru window" :sad: :sad: :sad:

I grew up poor. My parents didn't go to college. I busted my *kitten* in high school to get as many scholarships as I could, got a few bucks in Pell grants (seriously, I got like $450 a semester), and the rest of it I paid for by getting a J-O-B. I graduated with ZERO debt. The reason college is so freaking expensive now is because the government throws unlimited funds at people in the form of student loans. Many of thse people should not even be going to college (yes, I said it ... college is not for everyone). And then you have morons majoring in "literary journalism" or some other such nonsense instead of getting a marketable degree with an income potential that allows them to pay back their loans within a reasonable time period.

Furthermore, a college education entitles you to a diploma, not a job. Nobody OWES you employment or a fat paycheck.

Finally, stop acting like you're a victim because you find yourself working at a job that doesn't give you benefits. At least for now, America is still the land of the free. You don't have to work there. If your wages aren't good enough for you, then quit. Go sit at home and collect your welfare check and be glad it's now the government, instead of your boss, who is exploiting you.

Sweet fancy Moses ... if you wonder why America is in the crapper, take a long, hard look at the whiny pansies in this thread.

What she said.
    It seems like there are a long line of excuses.
    Yes, life might toss you a curve ball every once in a while.
    Get pissed and drive on.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Well there is a business idea

Gotta make a living' HAHAHA
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The idiocy of small businesses NOT offering benefits options for full-time employees:

If you have to call out sick, you lose a day's wage. Not only do you have to cross your fingers that you will still have a job when you are healthy again (right-to-work states for the lose) and not only do you NOT get to stay home and recuperate, but, since you have no insurance, you have to spend two to three times a day's wage to pay a doctor to write a note you can bring your employer stating what you already knew: that you are ill and need to stay home and rest.

All so you can keep your job and struggle to stay afloat on your nationally-recognized poverty-level income schedule. There is something very wrong with this process.

I would be willing to work EXTRA DAYS on my healthy days to EARN sick pay, vacation pay and health benefits. But it's not even an OPTION.

I can't wait til I can figure out how to afford school, finally get a degree and leave this retail bull**** behind.

You can thank the government and the benevolence of central planners for all that.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Going to uni was a huge mistake
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the (U. S.) government, my daughter who has 2 medical issues has health insurance until she's 26 (unless next admit. Changes that, in which case she gets crappy disability health care)

She goes to a community college, it's less expensive. She's also getting an EMPLOYABLE degree.
    The reason many can't get degrees is because they're unemployable in the grander scheme of things. A degree in history? Who do you think is going to hire you?? A friend of mine has a Degree in history of war. He's written a book on the civil war, working on his 2nd and is now a substitute teacher barely scraping by. A degree in French? Music? Where do you think that will lead you? Not far! Everyone needs a back up plan if they're getting a leisurely degree.

I grew up very poor, i don't think my mom ever broke 24k.
    Right now, we're quite blessed but we still hit rocky patches just like everyone else. And we take a huge hit on taxes every year! The tax on our house is almost 1/2 of our mortgage! Being middle class isn't very easy, either!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I got a loan for culinary school.
    I work and am slowly paying it off.
    I'm also currently paying to go to college full-time to get a degree, while working full-time.

The kicker? I'm not whining about it.
    Grow a pair and take your own life into your own hands.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I mostly meant to voice a frustration. I'm not a lazy person. I currently work 50 hours/week and have been known to work up to 70. This work ethic permeates all avenues of my life so please don't mistake me for an excuse-machine. Sometime, there's just some bull**** in the world you have to figure out how to overcome. Just sharing an experience.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

:drinker:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A lot of office positions are entry level. We've hired several people for entry-level positions from job placement agencies. You could go that route and possibly find a better job. You don't necessarily have to wait until you're out of school with a degree to get out of retail.

*I also know how much it sucks to have to work 6 1/2 days a week, every single week, in any condition of health or circumstance, and not have any health insurance to help if it came down to it. It does suck. Hard.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: Well Said!!!
  • kimharper13
    Options

OMG!!! I couldn't say it any better. LOVE, LOVE this. Couldn't say it better myself.:love::drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    A degree in history? Who do you think is going to hire you?? A friend of mine has a Degree in history of war. He's written a book on the civil war, working on his 2nd and is now a substitute teacher barely scraping by. A degree in French? Music? Where do you think that will lead you? Not far! Everyone needs a back up plan if they're getting a leisurely degree.

Excuse me? Quite presumptuous of you. "Who is going to hire you??" I have a degree in history. You know who hired me? One of the fastest growing SEC software companies in the country. So suck it, lady.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A degree in history? Who do you think is going to hire you?? A friend of mine has a Degree in history of war. He's written a book on the civil war, working on his 2nd and is now a substitute teacher barely scraping by. A degree in French? Music? Where do you think that will lead you? Not far! Everyone needs a back up plan if they're getting a leisurely degree.

Excuse me? Quite presumptuous of you. "Who is going to hire you??" I have a degree in history. You know who hired me? One of the fastest growing SEC software companies in the country. So suck it, lady.

I was going for a degree in history when my accounting prof advised me to go into accounting. I still dream of being a museum curator. :laugh:

Ahhh....dreams.....

Now that my daughter is 15, at least I am not letting her be naive. No loans for the kiddos. They have enough problems, what with growing up poor and all! :laugh:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have done a degree in History - or Archaeology. But this way these are among my hobbies, so I suppose it works out.
This discussion has been closed.