Whoa! ENDOMONDO Calories Burned Estimates are WAY HIGH

Options
I was thrilled when I got the MFP notification regarding app syncing but bummed that my Nike+ Fuelband can't be integrated. I went ahead and downloaded Endomondo on my phone today so my walks / runs will be uploaded to MFP and I won't have to do it manually. Ok, so I went for a walk during lunch and it says I burned 694 calories in those 54 minutes...no freakin' way.

I went back to double check my settings...yup, my height and weight are correct - so how is this even possible? I now have a wealth of "eat-back" calories earned from exercise that I'm pretty sure I didn't REALLY earn. Previously, when I manually entered walks on MFP a half-hour gets me about 130. When I run on a LifeTracker treadmill doing 6.0 or a 10 minute mile, its about 250 in a half-hour. According to my Nike+ band, I've yet to burn 700 calories for this entire day so I'm just puzzled by this 694 during my lunch break.

Has anyone else experienced ridiculously high calories-burned estimates on Endomondo?

Replies

• crystelnicole
    Options
    I don't have problem with Endomondo. Do you adjust it at ''walking'' ?
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    Yikes, I just downloaded it today, even went for the 4.99 pro, that'll suck if it doesn't work for crap. I used to use mapmyrun and it was dead on with my BodyBugg, worked great!! But since I found out today Endomondo connects with MFP, I decided to download it onto my phone and go with it. Unfortunately its crappy weather here today, so I haven't tried it yet, I will be interested to see what others post.

Sherry
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had " walking" as the selected workout...yes. Don't get me wrong; I like the app, its super easy to use and its FREE. The calories-burned guesstimate was crazy though.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it works out for you. I have a BodyMediaFit, stopped using it because I didn't want to pay the subscription when better services existed for free and its food library wasn't that extensive. I have a Nike+ Fuelband...got it from my brother as a gift. One thing I can say is, the amount of calories burned listed on the treadmill vs my BMF were never that far off. There was never a huge discrepancy. Also, the amount of steps / calories burned listed by my Nike+ was never eyebrow-raising, lol.
  • Time4achange77
    Options
    Man, I just downloaded that on my phone this morning! I was hoping to use it this afternoon if the weather clears up.
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    Hhhhmmmm....well, I tried it out and here is what I got....Body Bugg says I burned 400 calories and Endomondo says I burned 167 kcal. So it isn't over estimating, but I don't know what kcal means versus calories on the body bugg. So confused now.

I like the app, it posted right to MFP. Even though I changed running to walking on my profile, I also had to change it on the program when I started it up.

Now to figure out kcal versus calories burned.
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    Ok, I just looked back on my walks with mapmywalk and with the same path they show my burn as 400 kcal burned, just like my Body Bugg. So this app seems to be under estimating my burn??

Anybody else?
  • h_met
    h_met Posts: 15
    Options
    I've kind of always wondered about the actual calories burned as suggested by Endemondo or RunKeeper.

I found this. Maybe this helps?

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I don't have a problem.. I upgraded to the pro version.. Not sure if that makes a difference.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Endomondo consistently comes up with a number well short of what the ellipticals or treadmills at the gym do, by anywhere from 100-300 cals
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I personally talked to a few girls about this and when comparing it to a HRM we found that we needed to adjust our weight to 70% of our weight to have it match up. :D So it's awesome once you get that in there.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about endomondo, but I've been using Runtastic off and on for the last year and it seems pretty accurate! I only use the free version, and it works well for me :-)
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    FitBit sometimes does the same thing. Irritating but I'd rather something gets sync'd than nothing at all. I don't so excited that I eat those calories back!
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally love Endomondo and for me I believe the calories are accurate. BUT, I can choose to not eat back all the calories. On Saturdays I walk 3.6 miles to Denny's. It takes me an hour and the burn is around 600 calories. Part of it is going uphill so that adds to it. I purchased trekking poles so when I walk with those I choose Fitness Walking on Endomondo and I burn a few more calories that way. I have my FitBit attached and the Endomondo going. I'm ready!!
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't use Endomondo on the treadmill because it isn't picking up the GPS signal in the gym.
  • nana6380__Chris
    nana6380__Chris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mine was low on calories burned, compared to MFP. I love it. Would rather be under than over.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I've used Endomondo in the past (relatively recently but last time was about a month ago). I never had questionable returns on the calories burned for my walks. I haven't upgraded, or used it in sync w/ MFP. It is all based on your accelerometer in your phone, so you do need to calibrate it to your movement the first time you use it.

Once I bought my true HRM to track calories, I haven't used the Endomondo - because I typically walk on a treadmill or track. So, that tracks my distance, and my HRM tracks my calories burned.

I do want to continue with Endomondo for any other outdoor walk/ runs. So, hopefully all the upgrades work ok.

(I work for NIKE. I hope you like the Fuel band. I haven't purchased one myself, yet. For me, I wanted a more accurate count of calories burned in my workout, as opposed to a full daily estimate of energy expended. I've been trying to get some details on the algorithm used to determine calories burned, but so far no real luck.)

Good Luck!!!
    -kathy
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I was thrilled when I got the MFP notification regarding app syncing but bummed that my Nike+ Fuelband can't be integrated. I went ahead and downloaded Endomondo on my phone today so my walks / runs will be uploaded to MFP and I won't have to do it manually. Ok, so I went for a walk during lunch and it says I burned 694 calories in those 54 minutes...no freakin' way.

I went back to double check my settings...yup, my height and weight are correct - so how is this even possible? I now have a wealth of "eat-back" calories earned from exercise that I'm pretty sure I didn't REALLY earn. Previously, when I manually entered walks on MFP a half-hour gets me about 130. When I run on a LifeTracker treadmill doing 6.0 or a 10 minute mile, its about 250 in a half-hour. According to my Nike+ band, I've yet to burn 700 calories for this entire day so I'm just puzzled by this 694 during my lunch break.

Has anyone else experienced ridiculously high calories-burned estimates on Endomondo?

Yeah I went on a 7 mile run the other day and it said 1000 calories burned. No way. Exercise calories are so over rated anyway. After learning the hard way for so many years that you can't out exercise too many calories so I'm leery of exercise burns. Since I'm maintaining now if I feel a little extra hungry at night I'll eat a 100-300 more calories or whatever I feel I need. It's been working well for me that way.
  • CacophonyJen
    Options
    Hhhhmmmm....well, I tried it out and here is what I got....Body Bugg says I burned 400 calories and Endomondo says I burned 167 kcal. So it isn't over estimating, but I don't know what kcal means versus calories on the body bugg. So confused now.

I like the app, it posted right to MFP. Even though I changed running to walking on my profile, I also had to change it on the program when I started it up.

Now to figure out kcal versus calories burned.

Kcal is equivalent to what we usually call "calories" in food. (And actually, they should be referred to as "Calories" with a capital C when we are talking about kilocalories) Technically a calorie is the amount of energy required to heat 1 mL of pure water 1 degree Celsius.

The amount of energy required varies depending upon the starting temperature of the water: It has been standardized in chemistry and physics as a "normal calorie" in which the water is heated from 14.5 degrees C to 15.5 degrees C (this is known as a "15-degree calorie"). However, the caloric content of food is based upon the "4-degree calorie," where the water is heated from 3.5 degrees C to 4.5 degrees C. Sorry, I don't know the difference between the 15-degree and 4-degree calorie in joules (metric unit of energy) and I'm too lazy to look it up.

So...if your diet plan is 1500 Calories/day (that is, KCal, or what we think of as food calories), it's really 1,500,000 calories/day (1500 x 1000).

I hope that I've made things perfectly unclear! :D
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I use Endomondo it tracks about the same as when I use my HRM. I know b/c I have used them simultaneously. Maybe it's just a fluke for that workout. I'd just go in and manually adjust it.