Whoa! ENDOMONDO Calories Burned Estimates are WAY HIGH

Options

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It may have been a GPS problem.. I also don't have problems with Endomondo. There was one time where it said I did an extra lap because I guess I lost and regained GPS connection so it had me running 4 miles in like 20 minutes which gave me more calories... I did upgrade to Pro though... Pro is totally worth the money. I got it when they were running a special for their anniversary-- it was .99c-- but I didn't know that until I went to pay for it. I would have paid full price.
  • trackingstuff
    trackingstuff Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am yet to get mine to work but just found this info in the help section. I may have my privacy settings wrong and MFP can't pick up the data that it needs to update my calories etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/532-my-endomondo-exercises-are-not-syncing-with-my-exercise-diary
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can't use Endomondo on the treadmill because it isn't picking up the GPS signal in the gym.

Yeah, same here...I tried it this morning at the gym and it was a NO-GO.
  • Brendamcd50
    Options
    how do you sync Endomondo to MFP?
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I switched to endomondo when we were able to sync too. I used to use MapMyRide. Endomondo either under-estimates compared to MMR or is about the same, depending on the day. The thing I have trouble with on Endomondo is that riding the same route home from work, it can be .1-.2 miles difference in the distance reading from day to day. Must be a GPS thing. There's no difference in the calories burned, though.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I use the HRM with it, and it's is much better.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hmm i have been using endomondo since about june and my thing is for every mile its about 100 cal. Thats a really close estimate. A mine usually is pretty close to this.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I tested my Endomondo account with a HRM a couple of days ago... just out of curiousity. Endomondo had me 224 cal for a thirty minute walk/jog while my HRM had me at 216 cal. All in all, I'd would say it was a little high, but pretty close.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Until I get an updated metabolic assessment on Tuesdy and know exactly what my calories burned at certain heart rates are, I usually cut in half the estimated I get from any app. Including Endomondo and MFP because I believe they are way high and I do not want to mistakenly track too many and then eat too much and not lose weight.
  • randrews0407
    Options
    (I work for NIKE. I hope you like the Fuel band. I haven't purchased one myself, yet. For me, I wanted a more accurate count of calories burned in my workout, as opposed to a full daily estimate of energy expended. I've been trying to get some details on the algorithm used to determine calories burned, but so far no real luck.)

Good Luck!!!
    -kathy

Thanks Kathy,

I like the Nike+ Fuel Band for encouragement purposes...I must admit I'm annoyed there is still no Android app, they promised one by Summer 2012. They only show the iPhone love :-(

I have a BMF but got it before the bluetooth version existed, I hated that I had to wait until I got home to know how my activity measured up for the day.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Until I get an updated metabolic assessment on Tuesdy and know exactly what my calories burned at certain heart rates are, I usually cut in half the estimated I get from any app. Including Endomondo and MFP because I believe they are way high and I do not want to mistakenly track too many and then eat too much and not lose weight.
  • randrews0407
    Options
    Quick update:

I used ENDOMONDO for two additional outdoor walks (to the train for my commute) since my initial assessment (and SHOCK, lol). It seems normal now.

One tracked .82 miles in 14:23 at 133kcal
    Other tracked .72 miles in 11:47 106kcal

Estimates are still a bit high considering the casual walking pace but it no longer seems off the wall.
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I noticed that with the Endomondo app as well. I use a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and when I have finished a walk, Endomondo over estimates my calories burned by almost double. I'm glad I use a HRM too, hopefully that is more accurate :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have done one walk with it so far.

66 minutes, 3.4mph average, 411 calories

When I input the data in MFP manually, it gives closer to 250 calories. So, I am unsure which is correct really =/
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Did you know that all calories burned are estimates based on formulas that are mathematical and not able to be accurate?

The only way to know exactly what you burn is to have metabolic testing.

There are a number of different formulas, but none will fit you exactly. And, as your body becomes more efficient, you'll actually burn less calories! My point is simply this, use them as a guide, and use the same method for all your measurements. Even HRMs are estimates, but fortunately they are based on the HR which is a better predictor of effort in your workouts.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Did you know that all calories burned are estimates based on formulas that are mathematical and not able to be accurate?

The only way to know exactly what you burn is to have metabolic testing.

There are a number of different formulas, but none will fit you exactly. And, as your body becomes more efficient, you'll actually burn less calories! My point is simply this, use them as a guide, and use the same method for all your measurements. Even HRMs are estimates, but fortunately they are based on the HR which is a better predictor of effort in your workouts.

Completely irrelevant to the topic. Of course they are not 100% accurate and most everyone here does use them as a guide. Problem is trying to figure out WHICH number to use given the fact that some of us are getting wildly different numbers.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I can't use Endomondo on the treadmill because it isn't picking up the GPS signal in the gym.

Why would you use it on the treadmill anyways? It works by GPS tracking distance, speed, hills, etc combined with weight and heigh to get calories burned.... and you don't go anywhere with the treadmill...
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i use RunKeeper app but its not compatible with MFP...for me at 191 lbs...a 30 minute walk at avg speed of 3 mph it tells me i burn about 140 calories......so id say that is definitely WAY off and would not go by that at all.
  • mbagradstudent
    Options
    Can you switch it from kcal to cal? kcal is what Europe uses, cal is what US uses.
    Quick update:

I used ENDOMONDO for two additional outdoor walks (to the train for my commute) since my initial assessment (and SHOCK, lol). It seems normal now.

One tracked .82 miles in 14:23 at 133kcal
    Other tracked .72 miles in 11:47 106kcal

Estimates are still a bit high considering the casual walking pace but it no longer seems off the wall.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Can you switch it from kcal to cal? kcal is what Europe uses, cal is what US uses.

The USA uses kcals. We just simply call them cals. The "standard" diet is actually 2,000,000 calories a day.