80 pounds gone so far! Over halfway! (With pic!)

Options
tidesong
tidesong Posts: 451 Member
I've been overweight my whole life. Then when major depression hit in high school, I started gaining faster and things got way out of control by the time I was in my first year of college and they years thereafter. And while I hated how I looked, I didn't really care enough to do anything about it. Cue a marriage and subsequent traumatic divorce, and I ballooned way up. I was miserable in so many ways, and comfort by means of food was all too commonplace.

I've done my weight loss in two stints so far. I don't remember what my first trigger was to start losing weight. I think it was a bet with a coworker at the time. I started in 2005 at around 270 pounds. I lost about 35 pounds before some major medical issues put me in the hospital, and then stopped my life for many years. I was subsequently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and fibromyalgia (two for one day at the Mayo Clinic?). I was lucky that in that time period, I only gained 5 pounds back, so I was still way down from where I'd started.

In March of this year, I had another wake-up call. It wasn't the high blood pressure spike with chest pain that landed me in the hospital for a stress test a year and a half ago. It was my GERD getting way out of control to the point where it started causing hoarseness that affected my singing. (I am a semi-professional classical musician -- singer and violinist.) I knew then that I needed to get back on the bandwagon. Since March 1, I have shed 46 pounds. This makes for a total of just over 80 pounds released! And they ain't comin' back. I still have another 30-40 pounds to go, but all in good time, they'll be gone, too!

My first concert requiring concert black attire is coming up. I'd no longer owned any such attire -- my last outfit...well, the pants fell off me, and I was swimming in the shirt. I acquired a new outfit today. Both the pants and the shirt were size 14, a size I haven't worn since...your guess is as good as mine. I picked up the pants I ordered, and had a momentary bit of panic, because when I picked them up, they looked too small. I thought I ordered the wrong size. But when I put them on...holy crap, they fit! Not a bad NSV. I found a picture circa 2005 of me in concert black, before one of my first Symphony Chorus concerts. Here's the Before and Current of Me in Concert Black (tm):

ConcBlkBC-1.jpg

New friends always welcome!

ETA: My ticker here shows my current weight-loss journey and doesn't take into consideration the first half. That's why the number looks off. :)

Replies

• mymission130
    Options
    Congrats girl!!!!! That's Awesome! (:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    wow! looking great! keep at it!
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment!
  • montlucia
    Options
    You look really vibrant and full of energy.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I hear you on getting new concert attire. All of my black dresses, skirts, and pants are done for!

Congrats!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Looking great!! Bet you are feeling great, too!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would adjust your ticker to show your FULL weight loss... change your starting weight to your highest weight. It will make you feel much better about what you've accomplished. Congrats!! You look great :smile:
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Well done :happy:
  • inflationary
    inflationary Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    holy cow! amazing! adding you! :)
  • Marthalw
    Options
    Wow thats Awesome! Keep up the good work.:drinker:
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic.
  • tidesong
    Options
    Truly, thank you everyone for your nice comments. I never, ever thought I'd be posting before and after (well, current) pics...
  • shortmama28
    shortmama28 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good Job! Its not easy losing weight especially when you are down and out... you overcame that , so keep up the great work!:smile:
  • tmbf57
    tmbf57 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Keep up the good work!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!!!!!! I am so proud of you!
  • tidesong
    Options
    Thank you so much!! :smile: :heart:

I might take ruzickla's suggestion and change my starting number to reflect my total loss. I can always keep track of it separately in my tracking spreadsheet.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Great job!! Keep up all of your hard work!
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Wow! keep it up, you got this!
  • scoilcolm
    scoilcolm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story its an inspiration I wish you well with the rest of your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!