silk not-milk

Options
So, I tried that Silk stuff instead of milk, and it's really not half bad. Pretend milk isn't as bad as pretend sugar or pretend butter is it? ;) I'm not going to die by tonight or develop cancer by tomorrow or break down into a pile of fractures or anything am I?

Replies

• MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Silk is derived from soy beans and not franken-manufactured ;)
  • Deahder03
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx Here is an article about it. I avoid soy all together because of the estrogen issues. I would suggest going for almond, coconut or rice milk instead.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx Here is an article about it. I avoid soy all together because of the estrogen issues. I would suggest going for almond, coconut or rice milk instead.
    [/quote

DITTO
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Soy is very, very hard for you body to break down. Frankly, milk is too. If you really want to be health-conscious, don't drink either.

Rice, almond, or coconut are great alternatives (though coconut tastes REALLY bad on its own).
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i also prefer almond to soy.

and it's not 'fake' anything...it's deliciously REAL!
    (unlike the science projects you equated soy milk to)

enjoy it!! :)
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Do almond not soy..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I actually like soy milk better than regular milk, and not just because it doesn't put me in a clear-out-the-room state! lol

A lot of people have nothing good to say about soy milk, but I've been drinking it for years with no issues. Soy has more protein and loads more potassium than almond milk, so I stick with it.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Soy is not good for our bodies. But, I drink Silk Almond MIlk and I love it. It's delicious, easy to digest, has more calcium than cow's milk, and has no negative effects on reproductive health. My son drinks rice milk which is also good.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Soy makes me sick.

Almond milk it is!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is really lousy for a lot of people, especially children and those with thyroid issues. I stick to almond milk or the almond/coconut blend.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is absolutely terrible on its own albeit better for you.

The light soy vanilla or chocolate are both amazing.

I've had no issues with "breaking down" the soy, and I had gastric bypass surgery 7 months ago and have a hard time breaking down ALL foods/drinks I ingest, and soy doesn't cause any problems for me!

If you like it, go for it. Anything is better than cow's milk, LOL.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Silk? Isn't that what I put on my bed to impress the ladies? How does one drink that? :tongue:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I didn't like silk, but i do like the 8th continent brand of soy milk. And I also love almond milk.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was told if I want to ever concieve children I should watch my soy intake.

*shrug*

I don't completely avoid soy but I'd say go easy? If you're not lactose intolerant I'd just have milk.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You all should try oat milk... It's delicious. Skip the soy, it's hidden in so many other foods and if it's not organic it's almost guaranteed GMO plus it spikes estrogen levels.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tried the soy milk and its not bad, but one of my coworkers told me how bad it is, so i have been drinking the almond milk, and i love it!!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Silk also makes Almond milk, so which did you try? Soy or Almond?

I stopped the soy because it gave me tummie issues, but the Almond is great. I use the Almond unsweetened in my protein drinks. By itself, I like the sweetened version (or chocolate even better but high in carbs).

But honestly, I like Blue Diamond Breeze Almond/Coconut milk blend - yummier by leaps & bounds.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is absolutely terrible on its own albeit better for you.

The light soy vanilla or chocolate are both amazing.

I've had no issues with "breaking down" the soy, and I had gastric bypass surgery 7 months ago and have a hard time breaking down ALL foods/drinks I ingest, and soy doesn't cause any problems for me!

If you like it, go for it. Anything is better than cow's milk, LOL.

I don't agree that almond milk on it's own is terrible....but everyone has different tastes. Almond milk comes in unsweetened vanilla (good), vanilla (really good) and chocolate (really good). There is also an almond/coconut blend (vanilla) which is pretty good, too!

Other easy to find options besides almond milk:
    Rice Milk
    Hemp Milk
    Coconut Milk
  • polarblue
    polarblue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm quite fond of Vanilla-flavored Coconut Milk. It's about as close to true milk as I can get. Some people prefer one over the other, so I'd suggest trying them all until you find something you like.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was told if I want to ever concieve children I should watch my soy intake.

*shrug*

I don't completely avoid soy but I'd say go easy? If you're not lactose intolerant I'd just have milk.

My best friend's father is vegetarian and even though her mother wasn't, she aquiesced to the veg diet. Both of them ate plenty of soy over the years and, believe me, they had no trouble conceiving children.

If you have an actual medical condition that makes soy bad for you, that's another story. But I've read enough about soy to be very confident that except for that, it isn't the devil by a long shot.