How to test HRM for how accurate calorie burn is

Options

Replies

• MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Interesting......will have a look again on Monday when I go for my run :)
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh shooot - why didn't I ask everyone that tested to come back and report their findings.

That would have been super informative.

Because I'm thinking MFP has a bunch of aerobically fit folks that are being underestimated.

Just got back from the gym, I tried your suggestion while warming up. My heart rate stayed somewhere around 120bpm (+/-5). The funny thing is, that website gave me exactly the same calories as the treadmill (98 cal), while my Polar FT7 had it at 105 cal. I was at 6 km/hr pace and incline=3
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rmarley05
    rmarley05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this, my HRM is always under the treadmill and MFP estimates. I always change the number when I enter in my exercises because they aren't usually close at all! Thanks for sharing.
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    Bump
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Too early to think that hard!
  • valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, got to do my test with my freshly tweaked Garmin 310XT, supposedly so it's using my test VO2max, and it has my tested HRmax too. Height had to be set to 90 and age to 20 (I'm 70" and 44).

5 minutes really wasn't enough of a warmup, or still tired from 10 mile run yesterday, but oh well.

10 min, 4 mph, 6% incline.
    HR started at 120 and avg 124 for the whole time.

Garmin reported 79.
    Calculator is 111.

So over an hr, that's under-reported by 192 calories, at not that significant of a HR. That's the bottom of my Active Recovery HR zone, as low as the zones go.

Easily see 250-400 depending on the HR. 5 hrs a week, and that's 1250-2000 shortage.

That is a bad under-estimate for trying to eat for performance and get the most out of my workouts. And I thought for sure I was coming in on the high end so as not to do that.

Any other reports?

This might be worth trying some steeper incline walk tests with better warmup, and reach a HR steady at the top of each of my HR zones, that can be done walking anyway. Then that'll let me confirm what the HRM is telling me.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Using a polar FT40 HRM. Just finished this test as well. 4mph at 5% incline. Was pretty steady at 120 for the last 3 min of the warmup. I made sure I put in the same weight in my HRM and the calculator.

For the 20 min test I averaged 119 with a low of 117 and a max of 124.

HRM said 115 calories
    Calculator is 176

Wow.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Here is how I tell..
    a) put on HRM prior to workout
    b) hit "start" or equivalent button.
    c) workout
    d) hit "stop". write down number, add it to MFP.
    e) eat back maintenance calories, plus workout calories minus 1,000 (or whatever deficit you use)

repeat every day.
    if i drop weight.. then I would say its accurate.. if I gain weight, its not.

There.. I fixed it. lol
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My HRM is almost always right about the same result as a cardio machine at the gym. But, HRM is the only thing I can use during outdoor activities, lifting, yoga, spin, etc. I love my HRM!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.

I stopped using my HRM about a year ago, when the battery went out. It always gave me a higher number than MFP.

So now I have been using my GPS running app which bases calorie burn on speed, distance, time, and weight. How accurate is that? It is often significantly less than MFP (which means it is a whole lot less than my HRM).
  • heybales
    Options
    Very interesting.

I stopped using my HRM about a year ago, when the battery went out. It always gave me a higher number than MFP.

So now I have been using my GPS running app which bases calorie burn on speed, distance, time, and weight. How accurate is that? It is often significantly less than MFP (which means it is a whole lot less than my HRM).

It should actually be using the calculated values. Do you have the actual weight while running, or do you run naked?

For level treadmill walking, MFP actually matches up with the calculator, which matches up with about 5 different treadmills that I've tried.

These treadmill calc's have been around a long time, I'd think the app would use them too. And outside, it should be more, because incline not only up but down is decent increase in energy.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, interesting. I need to try this...
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Here is how I tell..
    a) put on HRM prior to workout
    b) hit "start" or equivalent button.
    c) workout
    d) hit "stop". write down number, add it to MFP.
    e) eat back maintenance calories, plus workout calories minus 1,000 (or whatever deficit you use)

repeat every day.
    if i drop weight.. then I would say its accurate.. if I gain weight, its not.

There.. I fixed it. lol

word
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Good point on the clothing and shoes. I'll check on that.
  • heybales
    Options
    10 min, 4 mph, 6% incline.
    HR started at 120 and avg 124 for the whole time.

Garmin reported 79.
    Calculator is 111.

So over an hr, that's under-reported by 192 calories, at not that significant of a HR. That's the bottom of my Active Recovery HR zone, as low as the zones go.

Well, I almost forgot about this, and plugged these numbers into a formula from a Polar funded study, with tested VO2max and tested HRmax.

Actually for 10 min at 124 bpm, got 110 calories. Right on the nose for matching the calculator.

Too bad few Polar models allow all the stats to be entered, and worse most folks probably don't keep them updated.

To those interested to compare, the formula is on the HRM tab of the spreadsheet linked in this topic.
    Must get stats at top correct, with sections below to help get the best VO2max and HRmax estimate. Calorie burn table at the very bottom.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones