Replies

• rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Here is how I tell..
    a) put on HRM prior to workout
    b) hit "start" or equivalent button.
    c) workout
    d) hit "stop". write down number, add it to MFP.
    e) eat back maintenance calories, plus workout calories minus 1,000 (or whatever deficit you use)

repeat every day.
    if i drop weight.. then I would say its accurate.. if I gain weight, its not.

There.. I fixed it. lol
    Heheh - I would also add
    f) try not to fall off the stationary bike with giddy techie-geek excitement when you see the machine pick up your heart rate and display it as you cycle... Marvelling at the wonders of technology!

When I started here I had to use MFP's values.
    Then I bought a FitBit which was better for things like the treadmill an elliptical, but had to use the values on the machine for cycle, rower and MFP for swimming.
    Now, I use the HRM for any specific activity (also include Wii activities in that).
    And I am still losing at a consistent rate since I started going by my TDEE and 15-20% cut.
    Perhaps when I reach my final goal weight, I may see a bit less accuracy as I focus on gaining muscle and keeping fat off.
    Perhaps then I might invest in a VO2 capable HRM for more accuracy .
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bumped as i've just ordered one
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Ive just ordered my Polar FT4 HRM and so just to clarify, we are suppose to add our weight that we get when we weigh fully clothed instead of what we would way Naked ?

Ok so are the HRM accurate then or not ?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ive just ordered my Polar FT4 HRM and so just to clarify, we are suppose to add our weight that we get when we weigh fully clothed instead of what we would way Naked ?

Not.

Narrow range that has a chance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

And that is for one of the more expensive Polars that self tests, and allows correcting the important stats.
    Yours has no such stats available to change. It assumes worse BMI, worse fitness level - which is bad assumption.

Men aren't off the hook either.

http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineOctober2011Esco.pdf

And yes to weight doing the exercise.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

Not.

Narrow range that has a chance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

And that is for one of the more expensive Polars that self tests, and allows correcting the important stats.
    Yours has no such stats available to change. It assumes worse BMI, worse fitness level - which is bad assumption.

Men aren't off the hook either.

http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineOctober2011Esco.pdf

And yes to weight doing the exercise.

SO what are you trying to say ? That my Polar Ft4 HRM is crap ? I chose that one because of all the reviews ive seen here on MFP and its one that I can afford which was still higher then I wanted to pay.
  • heybales
    Options
    SO what are you trying to say ? That my Polar Ft4 HRM is crap ? I chose that one because of all the reviews ive seen here on MFP and its one that I can afford which was still higher then I wanted to pay.

If you've ever noticed the positive reviews of the cheaper Polars, where people say it's accurate, and why they know it's accurate, it's usually along the lines of "it reports a different (or lower) value that anything else, so it must be accurate".

Different is accurate?
    That must be the same reason why 1200 goal is so blindly accepted by so many. Never seen any other value, but it must be lower, therefore it must be right.

They have actually no clue how a HRM estimates calorie burns based on HR.

Yes, compared to the more expensive Polar's, I'd call the several cheaper models crap for their price. And I'd call Polar cheap for having a HRM with all the exact same programming in it, with certain things purposely disabled so that higher priced models can be sold with those features. Yes, they were pioneers in the HRM field, and spent money on studies to develop their formula's for calorie burn (because the actual reading of the HR is nothing now, dirt cheap models do that with EKG accuracy), but they are the biggest name and they can't do right by the consumer. Eventually I'm sure they will when people learn.

I have no idea if you fit the narrow band of accuracy, hence the purpose of this topic.

40 min and you can test it out yourself. Then you'll know. And I'm actually been working on figuring out how they assume some of their values, to tweak the stats that are available to make it more closely match their more expensive models. Work in progress.
    I just need to find what formula are they using (because they use many standard formulas from studies) to equate BMI and age and gender to VO2max.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

If you've ever noticed the positive reviews of the cheaper Polars, where people say it's accurate, and why they know it's accurate, it's usually along the lines of "it reports a different (or lower) value that anything else, so it must be accurate".

Different is accurate?
    That must be the same reason why 1200 goal is so blindly accepted by so many. Never seen any other value, but it must be lower, therefore it must be right.

Yes, compared to the more expensive Polar's, I'd call the several cheaper models crap for their price. And I'd call Polar cheap for having a HRM with all the exact same programming in it, with certain things purposely disabled so that higher priced models can be sold with those features. Yes, they were pioneers in the HRM field, and spent money on studies to develop their formula's for calorie burn (because the actual reading of the HR is nothing now, dirt cheap models do that with EKG accuracy), but they are the biggest name and they can't do right by the consumer. Eventually I'm sure they will when people learn.

I have no idea if you fit the narrow band of accuracy, hence the purpose of this topic.

40 min and you can test it out yourself. Then you'll know. And I'm actually been working on figuring out how they assume some of their values, to tweak the stats that are available to make it more closely match their more expensive models. Work in progress.
    I just need to find what formula are they using (because they use many standard formulas from studies) to equate BMI and age and gender to VO2max.

So then why do so many people even buy them ? I mean the sole purpose is to have a number to use when exercising to see how much we burn. I don't have a HRM right now and just bought the FT4 because of good reviews on here Lol. SO whos to say that its no more accurate then the numbers in the exercise database here on MFP that people use without adding any additional info. I should of just kept my money then Lol
  • heybales
    Options
    So then why do so many people even buy them ? I mean the sole purpose is to have a number to use when exercising to see how much we burn. I don't have a HRM right now and just bought the FT4 because of good reviews on here Lol. SO whos to say that its no more accurate then the numbers in the exercise database here on MFP that people use without adding any additional info. I should of just kept my money then Lol

Herd mentality and comments.

"sure eat your exercise calories back, but you better get a HRM because MFP is terribly inflated"

Without knowing that actually the walking 2-4 mph and jogging 4-6.3 mph entries, if you indeed do that pace level, will be more accurate than a HRM will be.

Vast majority don't use it for primary purpose, Monitoring Heart Rate. Nor for training in zones to improve anything.
    Just want to burn calories, and know what that was.
    There are so many posts where ones start to suspect the HRM may be wrong, or are surprised, or wondering why one workout was different burn, and when you ask what the avgHR was for the workout, never even noticed what the HR was.

It can be more accurate than MFP entries that have no intensity description at all, or huge range.
    Like the biking entries are pretty bad, was my fast speed because of downhill or tailwind or drafting the whole time, so really an easy effort. Or was my slow speed really an easy ride, or because of a headwind, uphill, or out in front, so really was a hard effort, more than the faster speed might have been.

So do your test, see how off it is. See how you might tweak the HRmax as that is pretty important stat that is calculated, and for women is a wide bell curve for accuracy.

It should end up being more useful as a tool to know when to go hard, and when you should go easy, either in weekly schedule or even within a workout.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Different is accurate?

There is a reason they are called "Heart Rate Monitors" and not "Calorie Monitors".

And look in the manual--virtually no mention of the feature whatsoever.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There is a reason they are called "Heart Rate Monitors" and not "Calorie Monitors".

Seriously. I use my GPS/HRM watch for what it's good at like data on pace, distance and tracking intensity based on heart rate. I'm very clear that it can't actually measure calorie expenditure. Estimate, yes, measure, no. I'd have to be strapped into a met cart for that. But the marketing machine really has done an excellent job of convincing the masses that the HRM is the magic crystal ball into their metabolism just because it's listening to the beep, beep, beep of their beating heart.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Bump, trying this out this weekend w/ Polar FT40.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    coming back to this one later
  • McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Call me funny but I use mine to log my heart rate to get a sample of exertion during my runs. As far as calories burned it does an okay job but I always figure that's a ballpark estimate anyway.

HR_Sample_zpsfc0918dc.jpg
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. Will test next time on the treadmill.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump for reading pleasure later
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Happened to come across this post randomly just when I had been wondering about this.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    For later.