Race etiquette

Options
I have my first 'real' race this Sunday and I'm wondering - is it rude to listen to my iPod during the race? Are there any other faux pas I should be aware of (apart from a misplaced Farmers' blow).

Thanks!

Replies

• nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nope, if it is allowed and you like to run with it then do so. You may want to try running some of it with out it if there is a supportive crowd. Some of my favorite memories of races is something a random spectator said in support as I ran by. So I do both
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    *never shake hands with any runner that is wearing only one sock.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Listen to your iPod, wear a tutu, put on some wings, have fun!

Just do your best!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Stay to the right if you have a slower pace. Do Not stop while there is someone behind you and YES acknowledge any supporters holding signs, giving hi-fives & congratulating you!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Check to see if it is allowed. Many organizations do not allow you to listen to music while running because it is a huge safety risk. You cannot hear who is around you!

I know that I haven't found a single cross-country running organization that allows them for that reason.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I had my first "real" race last weekend and I actually had the exact same question.

I think the general consensus is : iPods are ok, but sometimes discouraged. If you decide to bring one (and many people do) have it off when you start, finish, and when it's crowded on the route. Some people listen to it with one earbud out and that seems to work well for them.

Mainly, just make sure you can still hear what's going on around you.

On that note: I listened to an iPod during my race and it really got me moving. The sound of the crowd cheering is pretty motivational though too. :smile:

Good luck! And HAVE FUN!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    actually i disagree about wearing headphones. i've seen many collisions in races because one person was wearing headphones and wasn't able to hear when another runner said "on your right " or "on your left" .

but wearing headphones seems to be more common now than when i first started racing a several years ago. it's kind of like people are running in their own little worlds while forgetting that their are other people around you on race day, and some races can be very very crowded
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Only fart if you are in last place. That is all.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Some races permit headphones some don't, personally I don't think they're a great idea when running let alone in races - your hearing gives you a lot of feedback about what is going on around you and situational awareness is important, especially in a race.

If your race assigns corrals based on estimated finishing times use the appropriate one. I'm not exactly Speedy Gonzalez but it drives me nuts when walkers and really slow runners line up in the front corrall and you have to spend the first few minutes of the race working your way around them. I have seen people get pushed by elite runners (they're shooting for scholarships, prize money & at some races qualifying times for national teams, we're there for fun and maybe some bragging rights)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Don't line up in the front unless you are fast.

I say ditch the headphones so you can take it all in and make friends out on the course.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If you simply HAVE to wear your headphones, only use one earbud so you can still hear people trying to get around you.

The race is a social event. I have to agree that it's more fun listening to the sound of the race and not the music on your ipod.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    People who are serious about racing (whether running or cycling) tend to feel that headphones are a distraction that can cause problems during the race. I think riding or running with one in the ear is not all that problematic but it is against race etiquette and often against the rules of the event.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Check your specific race guidelines about the headphones, they will tell you if you can or can't. If they aren't allowed, there are some organizations that will disqualify you from the race if you are seen with headphones on, so it's not something you just want to guess at.

Other than that, I'll echo some of what others have said. Acknowledge the volunteers and crowd support, they're out there on their time doing it to help you guys out. High-five people that are on your path that offer it, say thank you when you take water, wave and smile at the people cheering, etc.

If you need to stop or slow-down, start moving to the right before you do so, don't just stop or slow in the run path or you may get run over and have an angry runner on your hands.

Don't try to line up farther forward than you can pace at just because you want to be closer to the front.

Also, don't take more than your fair share of anything being given out for free at the packet pick-up expo or at the fair that is often set up at the end of a race. Take one water, one piece of fruit, one snack bar, etc.

And non-etiquette type of stuff - don't wear or bring anything that you haven't already run with more than once during training. And don't eat or drink anything for a couple of days before that you haven't during your training.

Oh, and have fun!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I only wear my headphones on races greater than 10K where there tend to be "dead zones", and then I take one ear bud out in crowded areas. You will probably see others wearing them regardless of distance, but I agree with the others that said to ditch them and enjoy the atmosphere for your first race.

Most races are chip timed and they will usually collect your chip at the finish line (unless it is on your bib, then usually not), so don't forget to give that to them.

Good luck and have fun!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say don't go up front unless you're fast...even if its just a 5k fun run, its annoying to have to get around slower runners, screws up peoples paces, and may lead to some twisted ankles (If I had a nickle for every time I had to twist around a group girls in tutus, walking 3 abreast...ugh).

If you normally run with an ipod and the race allows it, then its ok, but personally I don't do it. Its fun to soak up the atmosphere, especially if the race is well-spectated.

Also, if you need to make a potty stop or something along the way, or at a water station, don't just suddenly zig zag across the street. I hate it when a runner nearly crashes into me going for water. Other than that, relax and have fun!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Only wear one earbud if music is allowed and keep the volume way down so you can hear around you.
    Unless you are Speedy Gonzalez stay to the right so you aren't in the way.
    Don't stop or slow to a walk unless you've checked that no one is behind you and stay to the right.
    Don't blow snot rockets or spit unless you're sure there is no one in the way.
    Don't run 3 or 4 abreast with your buddies taking up the whole lane.
    Do acknowledge cheerleaders on the sidelines even if just with a small wave and grimace.
    Have fun!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't line up in the front unless you are fast.

I say ditch the headphones so you can take it all in and make friends out on the course.

THIS

also:
    number on front
    do not wear the race shirt during the race
    do not take forever in the bathroom, there are others waiting
    and for goodness sake, do not stop in the middle of the street - just like driving, check behind you and move over
    and I will smack you if you answer your phone
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    actually i disagree about wearing headphones. i've seen many collisions in races because one person was wearing headphones and wasn't able to hear when another runner said "on your right " or "on your left" .

but wearing headphones seems to be more common now than when i first started racing a several years ago. it's kind of like people are running in their own little worlds while forgetting that their are other people around you on race day, and some races can be very very crowded

THIS!!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Thank all the volunteers along the way!
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Most races don't allow it. Personally I wear them for everything except trail runs. If you choose to wear them be aware of other people. If you are a slower pace please dont line up at the front. I am a speedy runner and I don't call out "on your left" or generally expect people to get out of my way.