THROW AWAY THE SCALE!

Options
Hey everyone - I'm new here, but I wanted to throw this out there for you all to think about.

I've been coaching people with their fitness goals for some time now, and one of the most common complaints I hear is "I'm working so hard but I'm not losing any weight!" or even worse "I'm gaining weight!" Almost ALWAYS, this is accompanied by "well... I've lost two inches on my waist and my pants are looser, but I'm still not losing the weight I want to!"

At the early stages of a new workout regimen, your body goes through an adaptive phase, where it's reacting to all these new stimuli that it's not used to receiving. You'll retain water and your weight will fluctuate - sometimes dramatically. But it doesn't mean anything. More than that, as you probably all know (but maybe you don't), muscle weighs more than fat, so when you drop fat, and gain muscle, your weight won't change EVEN THOUGH you're getting leaner and more fit. And here's the important part - don't you just FEEL so much better?

That's the kicker. I urge everyone to forget about the scale. Use it at big check in points - after a month, two months, etc, etc, but stop jumping on it every day. The only - and I mean ONLY - thing it can possibly do is demotivate you. After all, it's just a number, right? If you focus on FEELING GOOD, the weight will come with it.

It doesn't help that the numbers are constantly being thrown in our face. "So and so lost 100 pounds", "I want to lose 25 pounds to get back to my high school weight", hell, the Biggest Loser is all about who lost the MOST WEIGHT! But you know what? Who gives a crap? EVERY ONE of those people are winners because they have completely changed their lives and they all feel unbelievable. And I guarantee every ONE of them would gladly take that FEELING over the number any day of the week.

So do it for YOU. Do it for the way you'll FEEL. Don't do it for a number. What does that get you anyway when it's all said and done?

Happy Friday y'all. :)

Andrew

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Can I say this: These topics get posted every so often, but often enough, and it seems NOBODY LISTENS. Are we so brainwashed to see things so black/white when it comes to health that we ignore facts and science? 125=happy or healthy but 137=fat and miserable?! Seriously, we are a messed up culture. Don't just throw away the scale, blow it the damn UP!
  • thompkie
    thompkie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post! I agree yet, find myself stepping on it more than I should. However, I do know from personal training in the past, teaching physical education and health classes and just in general that a person should never revolve their fitness goals around the scale! I actually told a friend today that i'm more concerned with getting to a certain "size" than what the scale says when I step on it. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    This will disappoint you, but I'm keeping my scale and daily weigh-ins. Despite my failures at math, I like crunching data and looking at weekly and monthly averages. The more data I have, the more accurate (I feel) my long-term outlooks are. I can see on a daily basis what I need to tweak to keep the weight dropping.
  • poetictraveller
    poetictraveller Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think I love you! Thanks for making my day....!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • positivepineapple
    positivepineapple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Totally agree a scale is inaccurate on a daily basis. I never weigh myself the day after I've had too much sodium because I know I'll just feel disappointed. I'm just going by how I look and feel for now :-)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    This will disappoint you, but I'm keeping my scale and daily weigh-ins. Despite my failures at math, I like crunching data and looking at weekly and monthly averages. The more data I have, the more accurate (I feel) my long-term outlooks are. I can see on a daily basis what I need to tweak to keep the weight dropping.

not disappointed at all! we all have our things that work for us, and we're all different! if the scale motivates you, then GO FOR IT!

just for most, it DE-motivates more than it motivates. :)
  • tr33p1g
    tr33p1g Posts: 85
    Options
    Great post - the scale is a lie!! I've just learned and won't look back now.
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! Just what I needed to hear!!! Thanks!!
  • nefbaker
    Options

So do it for YOU. Do it for the way you'll FEEL. Don't do it for a number. What does that get you anyway when it's all said and done?

Happy Friday y'all. :)

Andrew

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Over the past four months I've lost perhaps a pound. I'm in a size 14 (from a high of 24 a year and a half ago) and I've run two half marathons, and yet I find I base my self worth not on the number of miles I've run this week, but on the number on the scale. I need to work on that.

Mindy
  • jill1765
    Options
    Thank You for this post!! I have noticed a change in pictures of getting smaller, but not so much on the scale recently.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Well then shouldn't we get rid of MFP then? They constantly have our numbers up there, I think that people should leave well alone and not post anything like this on boards
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Use it at big check in points - after a month, two months, etc, etc, but stop jumping on it every day.

If I throw it away, what am I supposed to to, buy a new one at every checkpoint?
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    Thank you for posting! This is exactly what I needed to hear today!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Word.

Those with a significant amount of weight to lose will see it on the scale. Not so much for those with a small amount of weight to drop!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    people just want to look good, most dont care about feeling healthy
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Glad it works for you ....If I have to weigh myself every day and take any notice of the number, I would have been miserable for the last year.... I have picked up around 10lbs, no idea why and how, but perimenopause might have something to do with it....

BUT...I still wear the same size jeans (for some brands a size smaller as well as a size smaller top YAY for lifting heavy!!
    :flowerforyou: ). For the last week the scale have gone bonkers and added another 5lbs (IBS flaring up)- although my measurements are exactly the same....And my tightest jeans still fits....
    If I have to do the "woe me, I'm getting fat" routine and eat a whole pizza to drown my sorrows, I would have a real problem.....
  • madlittleoldme
    Options
    i think i may do that i nearly threw my scales out the window today lying machine told me i had put on a pound how very dare it :P
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't advocate getting rid of the scale, we just need to understand it.

I understand my numbers go up and down, When I weigh myself every day I am looking to see where the trend is going. I then use that trend to adjust my activities to keep moving in the right direction.

My scale is my biggest motivator because it is the easiest way to keep score so that I can get to the other indicators like feeling healthier and smaller measurements.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I'm not throwing mine away.. it cost too much, but I only weigh in once a month. I am judging weight loss by how clothes fit and how I look in the mirror and how I feel.