THROW AWAY THE SCALE!

Options

Replies

• dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well, the same thing does not work for everyone. It it works for you, then throw out your scale.:smile:

For me, I weigh every morning. And it has helped me to get through this journey. Sometimes I love my scale and some days I don't...but, it keeps me on the straight and narrow and FOR ME, it works.:love:

Wishing you continued success in your journey to a healthier you. :flowerforyou:
  • FDwife153
    FDwife153 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what i needed to hear right now. the scale is truthfully one of the most discouraging things for me...to go through ALL of that hardwork and not see the "numbered" results. society puts so much pressure on women to look like the models on the magazine and to be a size 0-2. it's difficult not to be hard on ourselves. but you're right (and i knew it all along, but it's nice to have the reminder) that as long as i feel great and am getting healthy and fit, who cares about that stupid number. :) not always the easiest concept for me to grasp, but it is a concept that i am going to try harder to live apon.

thanks again for the inspirational post!
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, scale doesn't motivates me, but when I look in the mirror, and I can see and feel all the changes, that's the thing.:)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I paid $60 for my scale and it gives me some valuable information every time I step on it (and hold the hand grips). I think I'll keep it, thanks.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yes, thank you! six weeks of consistent hard work and while my body has shaped up incredibly (bye bye inches) i've lost one pound. if i was relying on the scale to motivate me, i would have given up weeks ago.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to throw it away but may use your advice to only do it once a month..... well after Monday that is :bigsmile:
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    It doesn't help that the numbers are constantly being thrown in our face. "So and so lost 100 pounds", "I want to lose 25 pounds to get back to my high school weight", hell, the Biggest Loser is all about who lost the MOST WEIGHT! But you know what? Who gives a crap? EVERY ONE of those people are winners because they have completely changed their lives and they all feel unbelievable. And I guarantee every ONE of them would gladly take that FEELING over the number any day of the week.

Happy Friday y'all. :)

Thank you so much for this post. It was just what I needed to hear. I joined this site about a month ago and saw an initial 4-lb loss right away, following by a 6-pound gain from going from sedentary to about 60-90 minutes of workout videos daily. Not understanding how new habits affect the body, I was so frustrated by the scale that I even considered quitting--yikes! In the past I have lost large amounts of weight through simply not eating a whole lot but ignoring fitness (dumb, I know, but now much older and wiser albeit bigger, I'm going to do it the right way). Now I think I'll just weigh in a little less often instead, because frankly, I was feeling much more confident, energetic, and happy than before I started, and then I stepped on the scale and ruined everything . . . Thank you for the reminder. ;)
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't budged much these past couple of weeks! However, my belt has to be a couple of notches tighter so that is good enough for me right now! :)
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    You're so right. Brilliant post :-)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When I moved to a new apartment this past spring, I forgot my scale. I took that as a sign I dont even think about it enough to need it anymore. I use the measuring tape, my own clothing, the mirror and the number of plates on the barbell and how long I can go til I start feeling whoosie.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I really like this. It is true. I am trying very hard to focus on other things than a number!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I had my husband hide the scale and I feel like a different person but at the same time I am fighting the urge I hate the scale and don't want them in my house at all.
  • ashleyrose90
    ashleyrose90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great post.
    I have been discouraged with all my working out and no move in the scale.
    But I am noticing a difference. So maybe I will just hide my scale away for awhile :P
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree with your post and have had many more compliments latey with very little actual weight loss, thehealth insurance companies do not agree with you. They go strictly by weight. They will insure a skinny smoker before they would insure me. Been there! I do have insurance but it came through COBRA originally and they couldn't arbitrarily kick me off. I also agree weigh everyday especially is one is a woman is not good for the ego.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    so awesome hearing all these posts of peoples' success! and to you who disagree with me - ROCK ON! I love that! If you've got something that WORKS then keep at it! That's all this is about - finding what works for us - because we're all different. :)
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great post! :) I definitely agree with most of it. Don't think daily weigh-ins are good at all, but I do believe in weekly ones- same day, and time etc. I think that helps people see progress short term so they don't get discouraged. So I won't throw mine away...lol. However, its not the only number to go by either. How I'm feeling, actual measurements, and BF % I also take into consideration.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It IS a love/hate relationship. I love it when I'm working out, eating right and clothes are fitting better. I'll get even more motivated when the scale reflects the work. HOWEVER...if it doesn't move...it is SO de-motivating. I weigh about once a week or two. I just need to focus less on numbers and more on not eating late at night. :bigsmile:
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lol i dont think he means literally throw away your scale, hes just giving advice into not taking to heart too much what the scale says or come to rely too much on what the scale says. I know myself ive been their and its soo true what hes saying, the scale sometimes can be so misleading and disheartening thats why i dont take too much notice of it and just ignore it when it says ive gained weight when ive been working my butt off,

i think the point hes trying to get across is dont give up on the hard work because of what number the scale says, i know some people like to weigh daily as they like to keep note of the fluctations of their weight, and you can still do this just remember that if the scale says youve gained weight you most likely havent and remember eventually it will come down!! I like to weigh myself every week but at first when i started i had to keep telling myself when i was working my butt off and no improvement on the scale that eventually that number will go down and the weeks i lost then i gained it all back the next week that it will settle and eventually the number will continue to just go down. And after a few months this is the case im losing now everyweek now my body has adapted to the changes ive made to my lifestyle, but in those cruical few weeks at the begininng because of the scale if i didnt know about how unreliable the scale is i know it would of demotivated me and i would of quit!! So stick at it and you will see results eventually even if it is inches rather than pounds :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily... just to laugh at the scale.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The scale is from the deepest pits of hell..