Weight gain season upon us

Options
13»

Replies

• nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey last year in the first week of December. During the holidays, I logged, chose the healthiest options at parties, but also treated myself to small portions of old favorites, so I wasn't cheating myself. This year, I don't have to be as strict because I am growing a baby, so I am not really sweating the holiday season right now!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, Halloween will be the hardest. This will be my first Halloween that I will be trying to NOT eat a whole bag of candy in one sitting. I believe that I can do it. If I can get through Halloween, then I can make it through the holidays!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I struggle less during the holidays than most, maybe because I baked cookies as gifts for so many years I am just about sick of them! (And I am arrogant about my cookies and don't think many others compare, so not worth the calories if I don't love it.) Danger zone is working in an office where clients bring goodies - my only way to stay safe is DON'T OPEN THE PACKAGE!! LOL... seriously, if I open that box of See's candy, I am in big trouble....

I save myself for the treats I really really love, like fudge without nuts (and most people make it with nuts, not even a temptation for me), mashed taters and gravy, my friend Jody's parmesan dinner rolls, and cocktails LOL!!

At any type of "buffet" setting or large dinners with everything like Thanksgiving, I survey ALL the options first and decide what I really want, and only put that on my plate. Seconds? Only of the things that were TRULY yummy. And if I try something and don't really like it, I don't feel obligated to finish it. If I don't love it, it's not worth the calories.

It took me a long time to learn it's more wasteful to eat more than I need or even want, than to throw it away!! Yes, I DO throw away food gift items often, if there is no one else I can give it to.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as an issue. I'm just going to continue doing what I've been doing for the last 8 months. Why should the time of year make any difference? I made a lifestyle change, not a summer change.

AWESOME!!! Love this mindset.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I usually change my calories to maintenance levels right around Thanksgiving and leave them there until after NYE. It makes the season a lot more enjoyable and I also don't stress out if I go over calories here and there.

I've done this the last two years and I gained one pound the first year and two pounds last year. All of which came right back off after the holidays.

That is an awesome idea!
  • rbeebee1
    Options
    It's going to be so hard, especially since I'm the cook in the family. I'm basically in charge of all the cooking for the holidays D; It's horrible making food for everyone else as you sit back munching on a salad. I'm not sure how to combat this problem, other than I plan to let Thanksgiving be my major cheat day. I've been working really hard for it, so hopefully it will be ok if I slip one day....right? I hate being a foodie sometimes.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation and portion control, I gained back 4 pounds after Dec last year but this is a lifestyle change not a diet so I was okay with that. I try to plan for extra calories and desserts but I know I will have plenty of off days. Try and plan for extra exercise and plenty of water to help with the extra calories. If you are going to a party, try and take a veggie or fruit tray so you also have something healthy and low calorie and if you are the host, have plenty of choices that you can eat. Biggest advice though.... don't drink your calories.... either in alcohol, soda or even juice.