Starting weight, or starting weight since joining MFP?

2»

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    my mother ruined me from all compliments since she uses compliments to manipulate people. I can't trust anyone now. I rememeber when I lost weight as a kid, she would open her big mouth to a neighbor that was driving by just saying hi, that I was in a size 12 yippeeee. I am the healthiest I have ever been now because I removed her from my life, sad I know. She had weight issues just like me, buuuuut somehow all her energy was spent trying to make me do what she wanted but couldn't do for herself. Totally backfired!!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    my mother ruined me from all compliments since she uses compliments to manipulate people. I can't trust anyone now. I rememeber when I lost weight as a kid, she would open her big mouth to a neighbor that was driving by just saying hi, that I was in a size 12 yippeeee. I am the healthiest I have ever been now because I removed her from my life, sad I know. She had weight issues just like me, buuuuut somehow all her energy was spent trying to make me do what she wanted but couldn't do for herself. Totally backfired!!

I never had weight issues as a child, or as an adult either really until i got sick, but ihave also removed family, including my mother from my life (only having to be around her for my children about once every few months or so) and it has made the BEST difference in my life.. its when i actually got the willpower to stop smoking and lose weight. lol Not sad at all.. STRONG! <3
  • tonyggd
    tonyggd Posts: 23
    I started losing weight before using MFP too, what I did was to enter my weights for pre MFP so my ticker actually reads what I have lost since starting dieting not from when I started using MFP.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    So when people ask you, smile and and simply say "a lot" and if they push you to name a number, tell them that you are a work in progress!! It really is none of their business (maybe they will learn not to push if you react in that way) and this is for you after all. In regards to the skinny neighbor grrrr I really hate that!! Because she is trying to encourage you to lose more with her condescending comments when all she should say is either nothing or you are looking great!!. But mentioning anything makes you feel like she has been judging you. I only accept compliments from people who I know are honest and don't have an agenda, or from those that want the best for me. So many people do not think before opening their big mouths. Haha I am guilty of that sometimes too though. xxxooo Keep doing what is right for you!! And tell all those judgers to suck it!!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    I started losing weight before using MFP too, what I did was to enter my weights for pre MFP so my ticker actually reads what I have lost since starting dieting not from when I started using MFP.

thats GREAT, but i really didnt start "dieting" until i started MFP... (and the ONLY reason i got on the scale and started on MFP was to support a friend with her business (shake/protein powder mix) and i *had* to get on a scale to start... lol..

so i have NO idea when those first 13 came off.. hell it could have been 2-3-4 years before.. so IMO, that wouldne seem FAIR. im sure in years to come, when ive lost it all.. ill claim it as my "heaviest versus my "current" - haha- weight.. and say "ive lost a total of...... " but i think for me, for now... it will just be on my ticker. maybe. haha.. ugh. i really hate changing my mind.
  • I was 320 lbs when I started MFP in December. I am now 190 lbs and have 20 more lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. The weight loss is 100% due to MFP because I had never dieted in my life and had no clue how to lose weight. I also don't excercise but am going to start soon. I am not sure if 320 was my heaviest or not because I avoided the scale and didn't want to know how much I weighed before I started MFP.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Well, I was at 142 or something equally horrifying right after I had my baby, but I really don't count that, as there was still enlarged uterus, bleeding, swelling etc (sorry for the TMI, lol). I started keeping track about 2 months postpartum, and I think I was 133. <-- So I go by that.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    I think about 350 started MFP at 334 in July and am now 303
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    I would tell them the total lost, not just since joining here. All those other pounds definitely count!
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    I tell people the total amount lost before MFP, as well. I agree, every pound we gain or lose counts no matter how others react to it. Remember this is your journey!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    If they tell you, you are a liar, tell them thank you that they thought you weighed less--that you must be more solid and carrying it better than you thought. And then tell them you appreciate the compliment.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    I adjusted my ticker to show total weight lost (I lost 8 pounds before I found MFP).

I worked for that loss and want credit for every damn pound!