Anything better than Almond milk???

I miss milk so badly. I swore that this time when I started a diet (hopefully the last diet of my life) that I was not going to give up taste for calories. So far it is working great for me but I MISS MILK! I bought Almond milk, unsweetened and it is pretty bad. Tastes nothing like milk. I had to put a gob of Truvia in it just to get down one cup. Has anyone tried anything better. There are so many kinds out there but they are so expensive I hate to waste the money "testing" them. Thanks in advance for your help and Good Luck to us all in our journey!

Replies

• jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    I personally like So Nice original soy milk.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    I don't think there is a substitute that tastes like milk. The subs taste like other things, but not milk, lol. I just don't drink milk, but I will have light cream in hot beverages.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    i like coconut milk.
  • Skim milk doesn't have that many calories...
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    I also dislike almond milk. I also tried the almond/coconut milk. Nasty!!! These milks leave an oily film in my mouth. Not sure why, unless it's the oils in the almonds.I even tried it with my cocoa/splenda mix. Still not good. Thought the coconut version would taste like an almond joy. LOL Wishful thinking!! I like the swiss miss no sugar added instant cocoa. Just 60 calories a cup. I will also drink chocolate milk occasionally. I mix up hershey's cocoa and splenda, add a tiny bit of hot water to dissolve, then add this to 2% milk. I hate skim milk, too. I add this to my calorie intake as a snack. I also like cereal in the morning. I only use 1/2 cup 2% milk to 1 cup cheerios or corn flakes. Not a whole lot of calories for breakfast. I only eat cereal once or twice a week. It depends on what I want to eat for the day. If I'm going to go out and eat a big lunch or dinner, then I don't eat cereal. I will eat 45 calorie wheat bread and a tablespoon of my all fruit jelly (no sugars, sweetened with fruit juice). You don't have to give up anything. Just fit it into your total calories for the day. If it's a high calorie food, limit how much and how often you eat it. Just don't deprive yourself of too much.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Try Blue Diamond's unsweetened vanilla flavoured or chocolate flavoured almond milk. Those two are seriously amazing and don't taste as bland as plain unsweetened almond milk. Also, I try to add almond milk into cereal or substitute it into recipes..
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Ah the Coconut milk sounds good! Thanks everyone for your input! Have a great weekend! Think Thin! :drinker:
  • Get120
    Get120 Posts: 56
    Have you tried to just drink fat free and limit your intake to maybe one cup a day. If you are using it in say shakes you can then use like almond milk. I just tried it yesterday and personally think its a keeper but i dont drink it plain only in "shakes" coffee and oatmeal
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Why are you cutting milk out if you like it?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    This might make more sense if you stated why you can't drink milk. Allergy? Maybe goat's milk?
  • Did you try unsweetened orignal or unsweetened vanilla because there is a difference.
    The vanilla taste so much better.
    And if thats the one you tried then you can imagine what the original taste like.
    Anyway. I had to give up ALL DAIRY not to long ago because it was discovered that I developed a severe dairy allergy.
    Let me tell you.
    Nothing taste like milk, except, well, milk.
    Each milk sub has its own unique flavor and even though it sucks you will just have to keep paying for them and find one that works. On the bright side, even if you cant stand them on your cereal or by themselves, you can use them in cooking and wont taste a difference at all. So its not a complete waste of money.
    Anway, my personal favorite to drink is Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk. Its the least thick, doesn't leave a weird residue etc. etc. 30 calories per 8 oz too.
    Soy milk is good too, but its a bit to thick for my liking.
    Coconut milk is my least favourite to drink but it makes fabulous cakes.

I missed the taste of milk really bad at first. Also, any sub is going to taste awful at first but find a bearable one and the longer you stick with it the better it taste, pretty soon you will prefer it to milk.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    try the sweetened...or vanilla....... is yummmmmmmmmmmm... i tried the unsweetened first too...is ewwwwwwwwwwwww ...

i dont miss regular milk at all :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    This might make more sense if you stated why you can't drink milk. Allergy? Maybe goat's milk?

Yeah. From the original post it seems its being cut out for caloric reasons. I is confused by that logic.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I hear cow's milk is pretty good. Good source of protein, calcium, potassium, etc.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Try sweetened vanilla almond milk. It rocks! I've never been able to do the unsweetened version myself. Also, the chocolate almond milk is TDF!!! I prefer Blue Diamond Almond Breeze brand, btw.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    There seems to be a lot of curiosity about my post. lol No I am not allergic. I am already fat or I wouldn't be here. I don't really care for Skim milk and I thought I could make a healthier choice by one of the other types of milk. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It is much appreciated. Have a great weekend! :laugh:
  • I love the Pacific brand original almond milk (not unsweetened). They use bitter almond extract which gives it a lovely almond flavor. But as for taste and mouthfeel, I prefer organic soy milk. Of course the tastes are going to be different depending on what the milk is made of...cow's milk is going to taste different than soybean milk or almond milk or coconut milk...they are just different foods. I happen to think plant-based milks taste better than cow's milk. Cow's milk is for calves!
  • I drink Lactose free Fat free milk or Chocolate Almond milk with my protein shakes. Yum. :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    There seems to be a lot of curiosity about my post. lol No I am not allergic. I am already fat or I wouldn't be here. I don't really care for Skim milk and I thought I could make a healthier choice by one of the other types of milk. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It is much appreciated. Have a great weekend! :laugh:

Milk is very healthy. Drink 1%, 2%, or whole.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Just drink milk if you like it. Account for it in your daily caloric intake. No big deal. Cutting out milk for the calories seems a bit silly to me.