it's kinda hard for me to meet my calorie minimum...

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How are you doing on fat?
  • sfxchris
    Options
    Well I'm not losing substantial muscle, and I'm almost always matching or close to MFP's recommended grams of protein per day, so I must be going something right. thanks for your input.

I'm curious--what does MFP have your protein at?

And fine, you're doing everything right, keep doing what you're doing then, /end thread. It will be deleted soon anyway.
    My protein goal is 78 currently, and i just had shakeology this morning which is 18 protein right there.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

My protein goal is 78 currently, and i just had shakeology this morning which is 18 protein right there.

Edit because I stand corrected--more protein than I would have thought in those meats.
  • sfxchris
    Options
    most of what I eat is low fat so there tends to be a larger fat deficit than protein. like 30-40 per day. I can close that up with healthy fats though like nuts
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    most of what I eat is low fat so there tends to be a larger fat deficit than protein. like 30-40 per day. I can close that up with healthy fats though like nuts

Yes, you will really need to. Healthy fats are essential for many different bodily processes, and it's one reason people are saying it's a problem to not get enough calories. If you aren't getting enough calories, it's impossible to get enough of something.
  • iandunston
    Options
    I find it hard to not to eat more than daily my calorie target. Sometimes I have to do 2 lots of exercise in a day just to keep to the daily target
  • sfxchris
    Options

Where are the other 60 grams coming from? I'm a vegan, so I don't keep up on meat protein counts, but I'm not sure that there could be 60 g in chicken and a burger.
    The 5 ounces (I measure) of meat has 30g of protein, the cheese has 4, broccoli and hashbrowns each have 2. that's lunch, and that's 38g of protein

then for dinner, the chicken is 19g of protein by what the label says.

and then in the morning if I don't have shakeology it's a protein meal bar which, by name, has a lot of protein. It's like 10 grams for one bar.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Will adjust according to the first quote, they seem like passive changes that wouldn't take much time at all in terms of preparation.

And yeah, but it's:
    1 cup of broccoli - 30 calories
    1 cup of hash browns - 60 calories
    ketchup - 15 calories
    The burger - 250 calories
    the cheese - 25 calories

that's 380. maybe it's the brands that i'm using that're low on calories, but my plate seems to be full

1 cup of hash brooms for 60 calories?

You also just mentioned you had a shakology shake. Unless you are adding stuff in, they are very low in calories. By using a different protein powder or meal replacement, you could easily add in extra calories and not necessarily add extra food.
  • sfxchris
    Options

Yes, you will really need to. Healthy fats are essential for many different bodily processes, and it's one reason people are saying it's a problem to not get enough calories. If you aren't getting enough calories, it's impossible to get enough of something.
    okay, going to pick up more nuts today to last me for this week. and maybe I'll have like oil and vinegar on the salad except for salad dressing, since olive oil is 120 calories for like 1 tbsp.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Where are the other 60 grams coming from? I'm a vegan, so I don't keep up on meat protein counts, but I'm not sure that there could be 60 g in chicken and a burger.
    The 5 ounces (I measure) of meat has 30g of protein, the cheese has 4, broccoli and hashbrowns each have 2. that's lunch, and that's 38g of protein

then for dinner, the chicken is 19g of protein by what the label says.

and then in the morning if I don't have shakeology it's a protein meal bar which, by name, has a lot of protein. It's like 10 grams for one bar.

I'm not going to tell you this is definitely the case, but some feel the protein requirements in general and on MFP are too low. If I followed them, I'd only need 40 g, and that just seems inadequate.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

okay, going to pick up more nuts today to last me for this week. and maybe I'll have like oil and vinegar on the salad except for salad dressing, since olive oil is 120 calories for like 1 tbsp.

Yes, definitely do that dressing switch. Fat helps you absorb veggies better anyway. If you missed them, I edited and apologized for snarks. Not enough sleep last night.
  • sfxchris
    Options

Will adjust according to the first quote, they seem like passive changes that wouldn't take much time at all in terms of preparation.

And yeah, but it's:
    ketchup - 15 calories
    the cheese - 25 calories

that's 380. maybe it's the brands that i'm using that're low on calories, but my plate seems to be full

You also just mentioned you had a shakology shake. Unless you are adding stuff in, they are very low in calories. By using a different protein powder or meal replacement, you could easily add in extra calories and not necessarily add extra food.

Yeah, only 60 calories:
    http://www.cascadianfarm.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat=13&upc=0-21908-50167-3

this morning I had a shakeology shake, I have it with skim milk. I don't have it daily though, since I don't like dragging out the blender every day. I have some whey, I can add some of that to it.
  • sfxchris
    Options

Yes, definitely do that dressing switch. Fat helps you absorb veggies better anyway. If you missed them, I edited and apologized for snarks. Not enough sleep last night.
    It's okay, I have some good ideas now on what to switch to up the calories. I know that netting 500 calories a day was wrong, but I felt like I was eating more than I was which is why I made this post. It just felt weird.

And if it's true that MFP's protein requirements are lower than they should be, then I'll have to ask my doctor. i just assumed it was right, I pay close attention to protein
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

And yeah, but it's:
    ketchup - 15 calories
    the cheese - 25 calories

Yeah, only 60 calories:
    http://www.cascadianfarm.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat=13&upc=0-21908-50167-3

this morning I had a shakeology shake, I have it with skim milk. I don't have it daily though, since I don't like dragging out the blender every day. I have some whey, I can add some of that to it.

Wow. Never saw those. I even browsed the food section before I posted.

And also, using a high fat content milk will help you up those calories.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Then I'll finish, work out, which usually burns 300-500 calories depending on the day/duration, and have lunch, which this week has been a 5 oz. burger with lowfat cheese, a cup of broccoli and a cup of hashbrowns and some ketchup.... this ONLY comes out to 375 calories and it fills me up..

Damn....I must be doing it wrong because there's no way I could add up a 5 oz cheese burger, broccoli, and hashbrowns to 375 cals!

Exactly this.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

It's okay, I have some good ideas now on what to switch to up the calories. I know that netting 500 calories a day was wrong, but I felt like I was eating more than I was which is why I made this post. It just felt weird.

And if it's true that MFP's protein requirements are lower than they should be, then I'll have to ask my doctor. i just assumed it was right, I pay close attention to protein

MFP's aren't wrong. I'm pretty sure they follow current standards. It's more that people doubt that current standards are right.

I also don't worry about netting, just flat intake, and not taking enough in can really hurt you. But it sounds like you are open to that.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Here's an article on calculating your protein needs: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
  • sfxchris
    Options

Then I'll finish, work out, which usually burns 300-500 calories depending on the day/duration, and have lunch, which this week has been a 5 oz. burger with lowfat cheese, a cup of broccoli and a cup of hashbrowns and some ketchup.... this ONLY comes out to 375 calories and it fills me up..

Damn....I must be doing it wrong because there's no way I could add up a 5 oz cheese burger, broccoli, and hashbrowns to 375 cals!

Exactly this.

lol!

5 oz of angus beef is 250 calories, 90% lean.
    cascadian farms broccoli is 30 calories for 1 cup. hashbrowns are 60 calories for one cup
    the kraft skim milk cheese slices are 25 calories each
    ketchup is only 15-20 calories

and I don't use a bun, but I guess i can do that too.
  • Jluvs3clarks
    Options
    I hear ya! I think I have only met my calorie goal only a couple of times! I am a student with my classes during the middle of the day, so with my work outs in the morning, and school between 1130 and 130 then kids after school, it seems like I miss lunch. I take little things to eat in class. So I often have like 800 calories left for dinner, but then if I work out before dinner then I will have like 1300 left over.. and now that I am eating better, I simply can't eat that many calories.

I also could use the support so friend me if you want.
  • sfxchris
    Options
    Here's an article on calculating your protein needs: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
    Wow, so MFP IS under in terms of protein. And here I was using that as reference, humph. Apparently I should be getting 100g+ per day, if this article is correct.