Tell me it's possible without any special diet? :(

I am feeling a little discouraged; it seems everywhere there are new and "amazing" diets that help others lose weight so quickly:

- Atkins
- Keto (pretty much the same)
- Paleo (Okay, another similar one)
- South Beach
- Jenny Craig

yada yada....

Please tell me there are people out there who have lost their weigh by just watching their foods, eating a little less, and exercising??! *sigh*

I don't know if I can keep up with technical diet rules. :/

Replies

• BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Lots of people on here are doing just that. I've only lost 24 lbs so far, but 'eat a little less, exercise a little more, lose a little lard' is my entire strategy and it's working fine so far.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Me! I've lost 34 pounds without cutting anything out of my diet and using portion control! I also go to the gym 4-5 days a week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I have as well as many others. You don't need any special diet. Just a reasonable calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You don't need a diet, just a healthy lifestyle with portion control and regular exercise!
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    I've lost weight following the PINK Method "diet"/lifestyle change but I use it more as a guide. It provides me with a comprehensive list of veggies, proteins, fruits, etc that keep you feeling fuller. I'm not supposed to be eating processed foods on it, but I find that unrealistic, especially since I'm often out of the house for a full day and forget to pack myself healthy food. LOL! So I eat "off the diet" but making wise choices such as a wheat turkey sandwich at Subway instead of going to DQ next door. I find I'm still losing weight but I'm not really dieting. I'm not hungry, and I don't feel I'm doing without. If I want a cookie, I have a cookie so long as my calorie count allows that little indulgence. It CAN be done and there are a ton of people on MFP who have lost weight by simply tracking calories and becoming aware of what they are putting in their mouths. For me having a list in front of me saying "eat this, don't eat that" works, but most MFP'rs are smarter than me. LOL!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    No special diet needed. Just follow MFP's guidelines.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    once you get into the habit of logging on your food, it will get easier....You will see what wrong things you are eating and then make better choices....
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Both my wife and I have had success from making healthy food choices and a moderate level of exercise - no special diet required. For long term success you will need to arm yourself with commitment and self discipline.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    No special diet here. I've logged my food, watched my macros, and tried to be more active. I eat the same things my family eats, just sometimes with an extra helping of vegetables, a bit more protein, less of the bread. I cut out soda and drink water. I still have treats from time to time. Nothing special. The key ingredients for success are dedication and patience. You won't get anywhere without them.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Eat Less, Move More. 5 servings of fruit/veg every day.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I've lost 60 lbs. with no special diet. Exercise and portion control are the key. I use tis site as my accountability. You can do it. Along the way I have changed from just staying in my calorie alottment and eating much healthier. Make a decision and keep logging and get some good friends to help. There are plenty on here.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    No special diet here, just stuck to my calories and eat whatever I want. The only food I refuse to eat is meat, and that's for ethical reasons.

Oh, and I love carbs!

P.S - I've lost 42lbs/3 stones/20kg with no exercise in 7 months. It can be done :)
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Portion control, wise choices, nutrient dense foods, cutting nothing out and moderation in the bad stuff. You can do it.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    I didn't follow any fancy diet, and I lost 260 pounds. I kept decent macros (30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat), watched my total calorie intake, and worked out to up my calorie burn. There was nothing the I cut out completely from my diet in the 2 years I was losing the weight. I certainly had less of things like ice cream, beer, and other junk food, but I still indulged now and then if it fit in my calorie goal.

The key is you want to make a lifestyle change you can stick with forever, not go on a quick fix diet that is unsustainable.
  • i have lost 40 lbs so far and not on any "fad" diet. yes, all i do is stay within the guidelines that MFP sets for me.
    the only other thing i do that iam sure has aided my weightloss is i take 1 B6 pill everyday cuz they say it helps the body metabolize food. i also drink anywhere from 2-5 cups of mint or pomegrant green tea, which they also says helps weightloss. i count the tea as my water intake too. so yes, it is possible to lose weight without those expensive diets. try it, you have nothing to lose but pounds!!
    good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    I forgot tracking what you eat is the biggest and best step
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Smaller portions and plain ol' 'sensible' eating helped me. Cut down, rather than cut out, carbs and watched my sugar intake. Exercised the weight off, largely. This is a lifestyle choice, it has to be sustainable - fad diets are called exactly that for a reason!
  • No special diet here, just watching portion size and logging everything I eat plus I walk 3 to 4 mi at a very brisk pace before breakfast 6 to 7 days a week.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    I've lose 65 pounds. I still eat what I want, when I want. You don't need a fad diet to get it done.
  • Actuate16
    Actuate16 Posts: 20 Member
    I think the bottom line is if you expend more calories than you take in, you are going to loose the weight. That is the formula for success. This site helps you track it but it is up to you to make it happen.