Tell me it's possible without any special diet? :(

Options

Replies

• lexusgirl1
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds watching my calories and fats and exercising. I make healthy choices and eat throughout the day.
  • HerPanda
    Options
    I eat whatever I want when I burn enough calories. I eat pizza, candy, burger, and drink beer. I've also been getting fuller quicker because of the limit of 1200 a day. I use to get headaches because of the lower calorie intake, but it wasn't hard and the headaches eventually went away. I eat healthy stuff too.
  • sullivann
    sullivann Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Zomg, thanks for all the positive energy! :D It's so comforting to hear that others have succeeded just being themselves. :3:flowerforyou:
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    ive tried something very similar to the atkins diet, and i find it better to just eat what i want how i want at a lower rate, and i felt better i can actually tell i get fuller now, as with the diet i was doing, it left me hungry too much cause it made me go bathroom too much. so i say just do what works for you.
  • jeremybrooks
    jeremybrooks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're at the right place. We're all losing with MFP and there are no tricks, gimmicks or pills! The natural and safe way to lose weight and be healthier.
  • aliwitt82
    Options
    I have lost 51 pounds without a special diet. I just count calories and watch how much I eat! I have actually noticed I can't eat as much as I used to! So yes it can be done. It really is all about moderation and will power!
  • Chrisremi12
    Options
    Im not on a special diet . I just stay at my calorie goal and exercising . Sometimes i go out of my calorie intake but just dont make it a habit . Stay active and eat healthy :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a ketogenic diet and have been since May. It's helped me stay full and has given me more energy than just calorie counting. I feel like it's the right way to fuel my body since I've rarely been sick and I feel great (something that's ultra exciting to me since I have thyroid issues and am prone to feeling sluggish). I tried just calorie counting, but it allowed myself too much room for bad choices. I had to completely wean myself off sugars and starches, and now it's easy mode! Now when I try those tempting foods, they taste not as good as I remember them. Plus, I've learned many new ways to prepare veggies and am incorporating them into my daily repertoire of food.

If I go over 20 carbs, I don't mind too much. If I go over calories by a little, I don't mind too much. I know now that it's the overall trend that matters, not how well you didn't do on one day.

Also, Type II Diabetes is a family issue that I would like to avoid, so stabilizing my blood sugar levels through diet to prevent that is another bonus :)

In the end, it's all about making choices about your diet that you can sustain over a long time and an overall feeling of health. Best of luck to you!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It's possible! Trust me it's possible to get this done without spending more for the foods you eat and how you move your body. It's all you! And it is the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself, your family and your friends!

I totally love the new me!!! :)
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 22 since using MFP but overall weight loss is 37 lbs. I am not using any special diet, just eating 1200 calories a day and working out 4 days a week. I have not deprived myself of anything, just watching my portions.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    44lbs down simply by eating less and moving more. Try to give your body nutritious foods as much as possible, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying your old favorites too. All you need is a calorie deficit and time.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You don't need a diet, just a healthy lifestyle with portion control and regular exercise!
    I agree!
  • dharmony1
    dharmony1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. I've been logging my calories and exercise on MFP for a month now. I have managed to stay under my calories both in terms of food consumed and net calories (after exercise). I set an initial 50 pound weight loss goal and have now met half of the goal. I've been so successful and feel so much better that I am actually going to increase my goal by another 20 pounds. I know now it can be done.

The good thing about losing weight this way, as opposed to special diets, is that when you stop a special diet you are bound to return to where you were previously. With calorie counting and exercise you eat what you want (within reason) but much smaller portions. As someone already noted, you begin to feel full sooner and not want to eat as much as you previously did. Last night I ate a piece of baked swordfish (a little over 200 grams) and some steamed veggies with olive oil. I felt uncomfortable when I was done and realized I would have been better off with half the amount of fish. By the way - no bread, no tartar sauce.

I have given up bread and pasta. The bread I really do not miss. However, I rediscovered spaghetti squash as a great pasta replacement. When I achieve my target, I will reintroduce these items to my diet but in controlled quantities. No more subs for lunch. Also, because my doctor told me my cholesterol was in the so-so zone, I eat mostly fish, chicken, turkey and occasionally pork. I have pretty well eliminated beef and lamb for cholesterol reasons.

I have two useful tools that I use frequently: an inexpensive kitchen scale (Walmart, $17) and the USDA Nutrition Database to find calories for foods when the MFP directory does not have what I am looking for. I have added a few items to the MFP list from this database.

You can do it with "won't power" and determination. Stick with it and come back here when you feel you need a boost!!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything - my focus is to add in more fruits and vegetables rather than eliminate other things. For example, tonight I'm having a ribeye steak for dinner and I'm choosing to pair it with a salad and sauteed mushrooms. I could have gone with potatoes, sour cream, butter, and all that, but by adding in the vegetables first, I know I won't have room fro all that. Plus, I get ribeye!

Oh - and ice cream. Dryers slow-churned is a godsend. I've found no other dessert option that satisfies as well for just 100 calories.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't use diets, infact, I don't even count calories (found it caused me to be too obsessive)
    I eat in moderation, I eat healthier options, I drink water and I exercise 6 days a week (all at home, no gym, no trainer)
    I've lost 8lbs so far this month....and I don't have much to lose.

Do not do a "diet".
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Probably repeating here --- those "special" diets are recipies for failure! They are difficult to maintain an even when you drop weight, as soon as you start eating regularly again (just normal, healthy food), you blow right back up.

Eat a little less, make a better choice when you can, move your body a lot more - that will get you there.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Once you start logging your food, and seeing how the numbers add up, you may decide to make a few changes yourself. For example, Campbells soup looks pretty good on the calorie side, but it is completely evil when it comes to sodium. Now I try to avoid the stuff unless the rest of my kitchen is bare and I'm starving. You'll probably start to have your own version of "eat this, not that" as you go along, but it's not a fad thing. It's something you decide as you go along, after you play around with what works for you.

I think you're probably more likely to stick to small changes than if you tried rearranging everything at once. If you don't feel deprived, then it doesn't take as much will power to keep you going.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 pounds so far just watching what I eat (portion size, cals etc) I exercise to eat more of what I like. I have cut down voluntarily on some things but I haven't really changed my diet all that much. I still have steak, hamburgers, pizza, sweets etc etc.

It can be done without these "diets" Besides, you can't stay on these things for life. They'll probably work in the short run, but not long term.
  • carolannrichard
    Options
    Yes you can. I seriously started my journey a little over 2 weeks ago, when I found this website. I was trying on my own with no success. Since using the food track, I finally see the scale moving in the other direction. With mfp friends to encourage me I know we can do this, and you can too. If you need a friend, feel free to send me a request, we will help each other!!! :happy:
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It is possible!!! Am not doing any special diet, Just eating healthy and tasty foods in moderation and working out 4 to 5 times weekly. You can do it. Stay focus and determined. Good luck.:flowerforyou: