What old technologies do you remember?

Options

Replies

• HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Vic 20, anyone know what that was?

I do - I worked in a computer shop in the summer holidays one year and we sold them along with the Atari 64 and the BBC computer
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    pencil.jpg
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound funny but...my parents still have their old laser disc player and they sorta transferred it to me. Grin. I did manage to connect it to the tv and it's very different in picture quality. I have the original Star Wars movies but they don't look as good as the new stuff. Sigh.

LaserDiscPlayer.png

I think this is the machine that I still have. Grin. I did find some obsolete movies and I use it as a converter for transferring out of print ones.

Holy crap! You have the original Star Wars Movies on laser disc?!? Those are worth a fortune! Put that in a safe because those pretty much don't exist any more.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Oh you people are such mere infants. No TV. When I was 3 we had one. When I went to college mine was one of the first to have a computer science lab and computers at that time we almost as big as an entire room. My mom's house stilll has a rotary phone. Last year I trhew out an 8 track tape machine. My typewriter in high school was a black manual that had no letters or numbers on it. Only the privileged got to use the IBM electric ones. We had slide rules. too but there were no calculators for us to use. Ah , yes, we had to be able to use an encyclopedia. Students these days look at you as if you have 2 heads when you even say the word.

I still have my slide rule and CRC book from high school :) Fond memories!
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    I still have my 144px-Gameboy.jpg :-)
  • JDwashere
    JDwashere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1z5omdw.jpg

This was one of my favorite toys as a kid :happy:
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Mimeograph machines--I remember all the handouts in grade school had purple ink and that funny typewriter font--back before copier machines.

Digital organizers in the 90's--these seemed to be the huge, big thing...for a minute.

My dad had a calculator when I was very small (in the early 70's) that actually plugged into the wall and was the size of an adding machine.

My mom had a cool hand-held primitive abacus/calculator thingie she used for grocery shopping (also in the early 70's) that enabled her to add up her purchases as she went through the store. It had 4 buttons on top that represented hundreds-place, tens-place, ones-place etc and you pushed down the appropriate button to "add" cents and dollars. That was really nifty to me.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Filofaxes, Sony Walkman, ZX-81 :smile:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    01.jpg

I LOVED my lite bright!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My first cell phone in 1990 was a big Motorola in a bag that was about a foot by 8 inches to accommodate the ginormous battery. They were called car phones back then.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have worked on a MS-DOS computer and with floppy disks until I was 15 (I'm 24 now) :smokin: .
    I still know all the codes.

I still write on a typewriter.

I also still have a video recorder attached to my tv and I am proud to still use it.

I think I may have been born in the wrong era.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    In the 90's I thought I was the coolest techie around with my palm pilot and my pager. images.jpg

At home I had my multi-disc stereo system, and could set it to play "random" for continuous listening. Which was great if you owned compilation CDs (yes, I had the "Now" 1 disc, lol). i0FD.jpg
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I learned to "keyboard" on a manual typwriter
    IMG_7947.jpg

On the very first FAX machine I used. You had to wrap the page you wanted to send around a tube, then dial the phone and attach the receiver to the FAX It took 3 minutes a page and we thought it was magic. I put this skill on my resume.

music came on these
    45Record-766365.jpg

...was played on something like this:
    il_570xN.105553208.jpg

When I was a kid if I was lucky I got one of these
    1965-lincoln-penny.png

to put in one these:
    misc_gumball1.jpg
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Milk came in these:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9DGGnpBBVwIJPPV--bii_e8thxhuWrTkbavoI5MuihOXyh-WM

In the winter when we had to dry our hair:
    il_224xN.245754371.jpg
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Log books, for looking up sines, cosines and of course logorithums [sp?] No TV at all, we had one of the first becuase my mum worked at HMV factory so got one in staff sale for the Coronation [1953] black & white only of course

PS, and blue prints were really blue, you had to put put them out in the sun / daylight & the chemicals in the paper turned the background blue & left the drawing white
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    How about 8" floppies? or LP's and 8 tracks... lol Anyone remember Sun stoves.. use the sun, card board aluminum and wala you have a sun stove/oven.

Pin hole camera?
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Anyone remember Radio Shows... ok really I am only 47... but loved to listen to them.
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mimeograph machines--I remember all the handouts in grade school had purple ink and that funny typewriter font--back before copier machines.

::: sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffffff::: I think smelling those sheets gave me my very first buzz! :glasses:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound funny but...my parents still have their old laser disc player and they sorta transferred it to me. Grin. I did manage to connect it to the tv and it's very different in picture quality. I have the original Star Wars movies but they don't look as good as the new stuff. Sigh.

LaserDiscPlayer.png

I think this is the machine that I still have. Grin. I did find some obsolete movies and I use it as a converter for transferring out of print ones.

Holy crap! You have the original Star Wars Movies on laser disc?!? Those are worth a fortune! Put that in a safe because those pretty much don't exist any more.

I wish. Unfortunately, there are lots of people on ebay selling them for between 20 and 60 bucks...so they aren't as valuable as you think. Sigh. I had the same thought initially. :huh:
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    1z5omdw.jpg

This was one of my favorite toys as a kid :happy:

Yes, indeed! I had the Speak 'n Math one, too, but it wasn't as much fun.