What do you put on your veggies??

Options
I am looking for some new veggie ideas. I love oven roasted veggies, but want to cut back on the oil in my diet. I was going to steam instead but I don't know what the heck to put on them that doesn't involve butter or oil. Any ideas??

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Garlic salt and pepper. Maybe some parmesan
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar, or ponzu sauce with garlic.
  • dharmony1
    dharmony1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Goya vegetable and salad seasoning (dry) will bring out the natural flavor of your vegetables. Also, think about adding a little spice with something like cumin or cayenne pepper (just a touch). Parmesan is always a nice treat for your tastebuds.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    lot of good ideas in the real simple magazines
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,679 Member
    Options
    Garlic salt, smoked paprika powder, black sesame seeds (also contains some calcium). You could also see if you like a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar or lemon or soy sauce. Bonito flakes.
  • murphette2
    murphette2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is a seasoning called Tajin that I use on everything! Its basically chil peppers, salt, and lime juice. Yum!
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    Tiny tiny bit of salt and some pepper or if you are using a steamer( mine has a little thing on the bottom to put herbs in), try garlic, rosemary, or thyme...or another herb. It smells wonderful, while steaming!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Melted low fat cheese!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Use some other types of seasoned salts: cajun, all season etc
  • Molly_bee
    Molly_bee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to use Kernal Seasons Ranch popcorn seasoning.
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the ideas. :-) Can't wait to make some veggies.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Some veggies I just like steamed. Carrots, collar greens, cabbage. So full of flavor to me.

BUT...you can add cayenne pepper (love it)

Also with raw veggies they are good dipped in guacamole (great healthy fat) or Bolthouse Farms Vinagairette
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat them raw with mustard :)
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    Sriracha
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sriracha

Oh man! Never thought of that! I love Sriracha and all things spicy! :-)
  • JenLovesFall
    Options
    I love adding sea salt and vinegar to my veggies. Sometimes I'll do parmesan, garlic, sea salt, and italian herbs.
  • gottagettagrip
    Options
    I spray a tiny bit of no-fat cooking spray on a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent sticking and wrap up sliced squash and zucchini, sprinkled with lemon pepper seasoning. Steam them in the oven. Makes a yummy side.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I absolutely want the taste of butter, I use the spray that is virtually calorie free. I also like to season my roasted veggies with different Mrs. Dash flavors or a squirt of lemon or lime juice.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Sadly I'm allergic to most of all RAW fruits and veggies . Can eat only a few raw...
    I eat a lot Steamed cause you still get the vitamins etc

It's sad cause I love them all. Became allergic around 15 years ago.

Pretty suck when trying to eat healthy.
    The ones I eat come back freakin' often lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually just boil mine and add a dash of salt. Hubby likes butter on his, but I think they taste great plain.