What changed for you/about you other than the scale?

Replies

• NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    I take more pride in my appearance. I dress better, take the time to put on makeup and do my hair every day. I used to look around the room and sometimes realize that I was the fattest person there. Now that rarely happens. I love the clothes in my closet and don't have to worry about hiding bulges and other problems now.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    My resting heart rate went from high 70's to low 50's. I'm strong!! I can run for miles for the first time ever in my life (including when I was a thin athletic kid. I still was never a distance runner.) I can run and play with my kids (and not that pretend Mom Run, but really run and race them and have so much fun.) I bought skinny jeans and knee high boots yesterday and look hot in them. I don't have to think about fitting my wide *kitten* in a roller coaster or eye up a cheap plastic chair at a picnic before sitting in it for fear that it's not wide/strong enough. I fully intend to rock a bikini next summer for the first time in 5 years. My husband and I are closer because I'm not hiding my body from him. I've inspired friends and family to get healthier. My kids think I'm awesome and make me feel so proud of myself when they stand on the sidelines at a race with "GO MOMMY GO" signs. My whole family eats healthier and moves more. I am totally in tune with my body, my appetite/hunger, and know when to stop/slow down/push it while exercising. I have confidence for the first time in a long time. I am a new person! :drinker:
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    I sleep much better-a lot of my insomnia is gone (unless I have a lot of stress)
    I handle stress better now using exercising instead of food (most of the time-still working on it)
    I dress much nicer-I was always wearing sloppy clothes before I lost weight, now everything I buy is because I like it and look good in it. I wear super high heels a lot more often and find reasons to dress up now :)
    Definitely clearer skin
    My wedding ring fits again
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    hmmm, well healthier fo sho...but I'd have to say its the dudes...I never lack for attention...which is good and bad. I love that my bf is young and hot as f**k. And I love having the opportunity to live a little on the wild side. Now I must also add that not lacking for attention isn't all because I look better, feeling better and putting out a different vibe has a lot more to do with it than wearing a size 2 jeans.

But there were some unexpected things too...like who knew that having a small *kitten* made it hard to sit on your butt bone cause you broke it years ago? Fat pads that better than muscle..just saying. And my thyroid went hyper, that was a bit of a surprise, so now I'm dealing with those issues until it gets back to normal. But I have to say I'd do anything to get those last 10lbs off and stay there. I look better and feel better than I ever have in my life...even when I was 23 and weighed 106lbs. All that time lifting has gotten me into smaller jeans than I wore even back then. Life is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I want confidence but most of all, I want my energy back! I've been struggling with exhaustion and have since been diagnosed with a B12 deficiency. I started taking injections last month, and I just want to feel better, feel more alert, more awake, more alive. I'm hoping that the injections as well as increased exercise, give me some energy back.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    My resting heart rate went from high 70's to low 50's. I'm strong!! I can run for miles for the first time ever in my life (including when I was a thin athletic kid. I still was never a distance runner.) I can run and play with my kids (and not that pretend Mom Run, but really run and race them and have so much fun.) I bought skinny jeans and knee high boots yesterday and look hot in them. I don't have to think about fitting my wide *kitten* in a roller coaster or eye up a cheap plastic chair at a picnic before sitting in it for fear that it's not wide/strong enough. I fully intend to rock a bikini next summer for the first time in 5 years. My husband and I are closer because I'm not hiding my body from him. I've inspired friends and family to get healthier. My kids think I'm awesome and make me feel so proud of myself when they stand on the sidelines at a race with "GO MOMMY GO" signs. My whole family eats healthier and moves more. I am totally in tune with my body, my appetite/hunger, and know when to stop/slow down/push it while exercising. I have confidence for the first time in a long time. I am a new person! :drinker:

this is sweet and awesome...
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Wow. This is been a year of a lot of personal change and outlook on life for me. I have started evaluating every thing I own and why I keep it ( family and dogs excluded, there are here to stay).

With the weight gone, it's like I realized the other excesses in my life whether it be tupperware containers or shoes.

Physically, I have a lot more good days. Energy is much better!

Ditto... except I have a cat... she stays along with the hubby and two sons. I sleep much better now than when I was heavier.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Honestly, nothing. Although it's nice to be thinner, I don't physically feel any better for having lost 28 lbs. I'm not less achy. I don't have more energy. I'm not better in bed. About the only fringe benefit has been all the money I've saved by not buying crap out of the snack machine at work.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    1. I've had far more energy every day in the past 6 months than I ever had in my 30s.

2. I don't blink or cower in fear when I need to lift heavy stuff.

3. People underestimate my age.

4. I'm sleeping so much better.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Biggest changes for me:

My body fits better in space. By this, I mean I fit through spaces between cars, I fit in any chair, in restaurant booths, I don't need an extender on the airplane, I even fit better in car seats.

I'm more active and have more energy. I've taken up mountain hiking. Would never in a million years have called that.

I'm less self-conscious. I always felt folks were looking at me when I came in a room. In fact, I tended to look around hoping to find someone else as fat as me so I could not be the fattest person in the room. Usually I was.

I can buy clothes. Before I would just pray that something, anything, in the plus size store would fit. Now I can go into any random store and look at style first, knowing odds are they have my size.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    I've always hated exercise. Hated. I could barely walk 15 minutes when I started. I've lost 80 pounds and still have 100 to lose, but I can jog for 20 minutes straight now and can walk/jog 3.4 miles fairly easily.

I can keep up with my 5-year-old. I feel strong and don't have to worry that I'll poop out before the rest of my family when we go somewhere. I don't have to avoid tourist attractions that have a lot of walking or hills. I can fit in rides at Sea World.

I can wear my wedding ring again.

I can fit in a booth at restaurants.

I'm not ashamed to meet new people. I feel normal, not like some huge person that everyone is staring at disapprovingly.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I'm just getting back into it as well, but I feel stronger. I'm not as stressed out and I'm not reaching for a glass of wine every night like I used to. My skin is a little more radiant. Digestion is better and I don't feel so bloated all the time.

The big thing though is confidence. I was really devastated by my breakup and the little victories I have when working out are definitely lifting me out of my funk. It feels really good to knock out an hour or so at the gym and be confident about what I am doing. And, it's made me realize that my ex was incredibly unhealthy, was making me unhealthy and that I dodged a major bullet. Also, now I know I want to be with someone who is into a healthier lifestyle (not in an overboard kind of way, but just enough).
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Here are some point form things that have changed for me 100lbs later :

Positive:
    - I can now buy a much wider range of clothing than before - much cheaper in regular stores than "big n tall" stores.
    - I can push my body much further without worrying about breaking it, or dropping dead from a heart attack.
    - I can drive smaller sportscars (very important to me since I am a car nut).
    - I get treated differently in general.. people are nicer to me. Its unfortunate but true. You really can see the disdain people have for overweight folks until you are an ex-overweight person. I vow never to treat anyone with a weight issue that way...ever.
    - Airplane seats, bus seats, restaurant booths, movie theater seats, etc no longer are something that I have to be concerned about.
    - related to above, I dont have to worry about folding chairs collapsing at events (a serous concern for me... mind shatteringly embarrassing)
    - I am now a sexy sex machine. My wife is not getting sleep ;)
    - People are saying I look far younger. Some people say I look like I am in my early 20's (I am 41)!!

Negative:
    - my wedding ring doesnt fit and I need to resize it.
    - buying a couple of new wardrobes within a year is expensive.
    -healthy food is expensive
    - people cant...stop....talking....about.my.weight. Thank you for saying I look great really, but sometimes I get this 5 or 10 times a day.
    - most of the people above ask me "whats your secret" or "how do I do it" and when I tell them eating less and running, they almost look pissed off or disappointed in me, like they were expecting me to tell them there is a magic spell they can cast or something.
    - I have lost muscle mass and some amount of strength with my weight loss... I know I could have avoided this by lifting weights, but I didnt and now I have to build it back up. My endurance however is a million times better... I can run miles and miles.
    - people in stores think I work there all the time for some reason. I guess I look like a sales guy now lol.

Thanks for reading that wall of text.
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    My body fits better in space. By this, I mean I fit through spaces between cars, I fit in any chair, in restaurant booths, I don't need an extender on the airplane, I even fit better in car seats.

Hey I just read a couple of posts up from mine, and it looks like you are observing the same things as me. High five skinny buddy!
    I cannot over state how important to me the statement you made above is. That is the thing I am most happy about of everything.
  • ggof
    ggof Posts: 41
    i also plucked up the courage to overcome my fear of flying, got rid of my sciatica and generally feel stronger, healthier and more positive .. :)
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    I don't feel like I HAVE to finish every single thing on my plate. I used to eat like I was never going to be fed again.

^^ this !!!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    I don't feel like I HAVE to finish every single thing on my plate. I used to eat like I was never going to be fed again.
    This was me! I'm learning to STOP when I'm full.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Absolutely true!! 100%

I have confidence that I have never had in my life. I am trying, and enjoying, new things that I never even dreamed were possible for me (running, gymnastics, martial arts, etc, etc). And, I am getting respect from my friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances for my transformation.

In addition, my lifestyle change has had a positive impact on my family. As a family we all eat better, my daughter has joined a gym and subsequently started losing weight and with no junk food in the house, my son has shed over 30 lbs of chips & dip weight.
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Wow...there is SO much to list and many people have already said much of how I feel. So far I've lost 61lbs of the 188lbs that I need to lose, and I'd say the favorite thing I've gained is my LOVE of exercise. If any of you knew me personally, you'd know this is the equivalent of "hell freezing over"...lol
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Mine has been a huge differnce. Confidence level for sure. I am single and have been attracting differnt type of guys. Which is a very good thing :) I can see more bones. I feel sexy. The last couple of months my friends have been asking me if i have been ok? Pulling me a side and asking me whats wrong? Nothing is wrong. I have been feeling great. I have been focusing on me. Not depressed they said I dont talk as much and I am not as crazy and hyper as I used to be at get togethers. Maybe because I was so insecure before that I was always fighting for attention. Not really sure. I just feel a tons better about myself. I look in the mirror and see the person I have always wanted to be. I see a beautiful person. I have about 50lbs to go and cant even imagine what that person will even look like becaue how I feel now.

DITTO :)