are vegans healthy

Options
123457»

Replies

• pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who eats a diet consisting of fresh veggies, fruits, meats, are healthy. You can drink unfiltered beer with yeast and wine and eat cheeses and still be healthy. There are several factors that can cause a person to be unhealthy that are not associated with diet: pollution levels of your environment, genetics, activity level,, etc.
  • alanbluecat
    Options
    I think animal protein is very important, however I don't think we need dairy to survive and frankly milk freaks me out. I don't think we were ever meant to drink an animals milk. In my opinion vegans are not healthy and I've heard it can cause complications in pregnant women for the unborn child because your body is lacking nutrients it needs. Just like with most animals, I don't believe people were meant to eat a diet of only soy and veggies.

Sorry, you're wrong on the animal protein. It's not required and actually it's unhealthy to eat dead rotting flesh. Humans don't require it in our diet and our bodies are not built to process it effectively.

So, in your 'opinion vegans are not healthy' - back this up please otherwise it's just one of those untruths that people pick up and repeat with no basis in fact and it is also a gross generalisation.

I'm all ears ...

actually i'm not wrong. i still think animal protein is important and you are not actually a good poster child for me wanting to change my high animal protein diet.

OK, so tell me more about WHY you're not wrong. Which proteins do I need that I can only get from an animal source?

I couldn't give a stuff about you changing your diet. Like I've stated before on here I'm not here to try to convert anyone, I'm here to refute any claims that vegans can't be healthy.

I'm also not trying to be a 'poster child' for anything. Who said I was?

attacking my beliefs, and saying "you are wrong" when i simply said "I THINK" meaning, this is what I believe and you can believe whatever you choose. in my opinion I appear healthier than you, eat all the processed vegan crap you want. i could care less. i'lll stick to my lean meat, veggies and natural fat.

I'm not 'attacking' anything. You made some comments that are not true and I've pointed out that they are incorrect. That's not me attacking your beliefs, it is correcting you when you make incorrect statements with nothing to back them up.

I've never said 'look at me I'm an example of a healthy vegan'. I've only made statements saying that vegans CAN be healthy.

I you had actually read what I've posted on this thread you would see that I don't eat any 'processed vegan crap'. I eat low fat raw vegan. If you don't know what that is, it means raw fruit and raw vegetables, nothing else. No cooking, no processed crap, just raw food as it is given to us in nature.

By all means stick to your diet, I've said many times that I have no desire to convert anyone. This thread is about someone asking is vegans can be healthy. That's the basis for all my replies on this thread.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I think animal protein is very important, however I don't think we need dairy to survive and frankly milk freaks me out. I don't think we were ever meant to drink an animals milk. In my opinion vegans are not healthy and I've heard it can cause complications in pregnant women for the unborn child because your body is lacking nutrients it needs. Just like with most animals, I don't believe people were meant to eat a diet of only soy and veggies.

Sorry, you're wrong on the animal protein. It's not required and actually it's unhealthy to eat dead rotting flesh. Humans don't require it in our diet and our bodies are not built to process it effectively.

So, in your 'opinion vegans are not healthy' - back this up please otherwise it's just one of those untruths that people pick up and repeat with no basis in fact and it is also a gross generalisation.

I'm all ears ...

actually i'm not wrong. i still think animal protein is important and you are not actually a good poster child for me wanting to change my high animal protein diet.

OK, so tell me more about WHY you're not wrong. Which proteins do I need that I can only get from an animal source?

I couldn't give a stuff about you changing your diet. Like I've stated before on here I'm not here to try to convert anyone, I'm here to refute any claims that vegans can't be healthy.

attacking my beliefs, and saying "you are wrong" when i simply said "I THINK" meaning, this is what I believe and you can believe whatever you choose. in my opinion I appear healthier than you, eat all the processed vegan crap you want. i could care less. i'lll stick to my lean meat, veggies and natural fat.

I'm not 'attacking' anything. You made some comments that are not true and I've pointed out that they are incorrect. That's not me attacking your beliefs, it is correcting you when you make incorrect statements with nothing to back them up.

I've never said 'look at me I'm an example of a healthy vegan'. I've only made statements saying that vegans CAN be healthy.

I you had actually read what I've posted on this thread you would see that I don't eat any 'processed vegan crap'. I eat low fat raw vegan. If you don't know what that is, it means raw fruit and raw vegetables, nothing else. No cooking, no processed crap, just raw food as it is given to us in nature.

By all means stick to your diet, I've said many times that I have no desire to convert anyone. This thread is about someone asking is vegans can be healthy. That's the basis for all my replies on this thread.
    incorrect because YOU dont agree? :laugh:
    I really don't care enough to go back through the thread and read every post you made. i gave my opinion, you don't agree, and i don't care. Now that we've come to those conclusions, I see no reason to continue this conversation. I am done with you. :flowerforyou:
  • alanbluecat
    Options

I'm all ears ...

incorrect because YOU dont agree? :laugh:
    I really don't care enough to go back through the thread and read every post you made. i gave my opinion, you don't agree, and i don't care. Now that we've come to those conclusions, I see no reason to continue this conversation. I am done with you. :flowerforyou:

OK, bye! Thanks for your insightful contribution to the discussion. Have a nice day :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Quick question: My boyfriend doesn't think that vegans can be healthy, and that you have to get your nutrients through meat and dairy. What does everyone else think?

If you do your research and do it right, you can be vegan and be healthy.

You can eat meat and dairy and be incredibly UNhealthy, too.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

You think animal protein is important or is it actually important?

There are also many vegan women that have perfectly healthy babies and there are also prenatal books and vitamins for vegan moms to be.

You'll also be surprised to know that many vegans don't eat soy, some do, and some don't or have an allergy. There are also animals, in fact most that humans eat, that only eat vege....
  • xSailorVictoriax
    Options
    I cannot believe people truly think animal protein is a necessity. Read a book, please.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    It's working for Arian Foster. He's one of the top running backs in the NFL.

just saw his interview this morning...he now eats meat again...said it helps him recover better. so i guess it wasnt working for him.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think the vegans' better health is an illusion, because vegans may concentrate more on fruits and veggies which are healthy and everyone should eat them anyway. You shouldn't compare a vegan who pays attention to his or her food and an average meat-and-potatoes eater. I don't know if the non-animal protein problems are a myth, but I wouldn't want to risk my brain function trying it out.

This makes absolutely no sense....

If you do veganism right, there is no reason that you can't get all of the nutrients that you need. There are PLENTY of nutrient deficient meat eaters, after all. I wish that I could go 100 percent vegan... I don't think I could ever give up egg whites and fish. Pretty much every vegan I know is in incredibly good shape, have wonderful skin, nails, energy, etc., but that's because they are also clean eaters (no processed soy or fake meat, just all fruit, vegetables, beans, and nuts.
  • SaintBock
    Options
    Vegans are going to be just as healthy as anyone else.

I mean, both meat eaters and vegans are both going to be unhealthy if they're snacking on chips all day long, just like they can both be better if they make healthy choices while eating. There are lots of things vegetarians and vegans can eat to get their protein, and meat isn't exactly a necessity. Though I know myself... I could never live without my eggs and cheese. Blue cheese and goat cheese... OMG. :P

I live with my boyfriend who is vegetarian (so he eats eggs and dairy, but does not eat any meat at all - so obviously no fish either in that case). We both try to eat healthily, and I can honestly say living with him has helped me on the challenge to lose weight, to the point where I don't need to lose much at all, and just need to maintain.

But obviously vegetarian diet is easier to work with. With vegan, you're cutting a lot more options out, but it's still fully possibly, as long as you can make healthy choices while at the supermarket. :)

One of the things I've noticed as I went down from 165 lbs to around 120... is that I get sick less. I have no idea what in my diet helped with that, but I am glad! That I have to say is one of my favourite things about losing weight. Just feeling great all the time! Though since my splenectomy, I am sure it will probably go the opposite way now, lol. Oh well.