Do you agree or disagree .....

Options

Replies

• dlmowrey
    Options
    I disagree with that. If you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, both still equal a pound!! There's going to be a difference in density, but a pound is still a pound!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A gallon of muscle will weigh more than a gallon of fat....same as the dude that said muscle is denser.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    "And please, for the love of God, can we all stop saying this nonsensical phrase? Seriously. Muscle weighs more than fat… WTF does that even mean?"

agreed.

People disagreeing with that statement is a bug bear of mine...

I understand why people disagree with the statement 'muscle weighs more than fat' but really, those people are either being deliberately objective or are incapable of making appropriate assumptions given conversational context.

Clearly, in the above statement, the person saying it is assuming that we are intelligent enough to know that they are referring to weight by volume. It speaks to a person's intelligence if, when they are confronted with that statement, they assume that they are talking about equal weights being different.

Also, the person didn't say "A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat", so why did you make that assumption? You have intentionally made the wrong context assumption to be deliberately awkward.

In the same way; if I were to say "humans weigh more than pigeons". You wouldn't argue I was wrong because 200lbs of humans is the same as 200lbs of pigeons (or maybe you would).

The sentence isn't wrong, it is just incomplete because humans have the intelligence to fill in the gaps.

I am going to copy this for future use. Never have I seen this argument made in such an articulate and complete manner. You are ABSOLUTELY correct. THANK YOU!!

I'm just glad there seem to be more people in this camp than camp obtuse over there...
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I disagree with that. If you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, both still equal a pound!! There's going to be a difference in density, but a pound is still a pound!
    Nobody has said that 'a pound of muscle weighs more than a [/i]pound[/i] of fat'. You inferred 'pound'. The rest of us inferred 'volume', as in 'a volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.'

Basically you are disagreeing with something that was neither said nor intended.
  • Sarah52281
    Options
    I always looked at it like this. A pound of feathers compared to a pound of sand...they both weigh the same but look extremely opposite in terms of size and volume. Pretty simple to me.

That's a bright analogy.
  • Sarah52281
    Options
    There is a serious lack of common sense on this site...

agreed
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    whatever.
  • Sarah52281
    Options
    whatever.

angry pu$$y... lol
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Nobody has said that 'a pound of muscle weighs more than a [/i]pound[/i] of fat'. You inferred 'pound'. The rest of us inferred 'volume', as in 'a volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.'

Basically you are disagreeing with something that was neither said nor intended.

I am always amazed that ppl post - with passion sometimes- after obviously not understanding the thread, or previous post. In this case its reading comprehension at a basic level. (or lack of) Kind of like how ppl "hear" what they want instead of truly LISTENING. This is rather maddening to be honest. I wont even quote and comment on the comment further down that said a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat. ugh- if this far in to this thread you still think so- carry on and good luck.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

I am always amazed that ppl post - with passion sometimes- after obviously not understanding the thread, or previous post. In this case its reading comprehension at a basic level. (or lack of) Kind of like how ppl "hear" what they want instead of truly LISTENING. This is rather maddening to be honest. I wont even quote and comment on the comment further down that said a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat. ugh- if this far in to this thread you still think so- carry on and good luck.

A gallon of muscle DOES weigh more than a gallon of fat....am I being trolled? :huh:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I understand why people disagree with the statement 'muscle weighs more than fat' but really, those people are either being deliberately objective or are incapable of making appropriate assumptions given conversational context.

Yeah, but that's being too nice about it. Really they're just being morons.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    "And please, for the love of God, can we all stop saying this nonsensical phrase? Seriously. Muscle weighs more than fat… WTF does that even mean?"

agreed.

Clearly, in the above statement, the person saying it is assuming that we are intelligent enough to know that they are referring to weight by volume. It speaks to a person's intelligence if, when they are confronted with that statement, they assume that they are talking about equal weights being different.

Also, the person didn't say "A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat", so why did you make that assumption? You have intentionally made the wrong context assumption to be deliberately awkward.

In the same way; if I were to say "humans weigh more than pigeons". You wouldn't argue I was wrong because 200lbs of humans is the same as 200lbs of pigeons (or maybe you would).

The sentence isn't wrong, it is just incomplete because humans have the intelligence to fill in the gaps.

Amen!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I'm more annoyed that people think they're "gaining muscle" from doing two days of the 30DS on 1200 calories.

haha yes^^. this.
    Whales eating celery for 3 days. and then then binge after 3 days and thinking its muscle
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you ask someone, "What's more valuable, gold or cow manure?" no one is going to say that $1000 of gold is worth the same as $1000 of cow poop.

Nice, I like that analogy!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that we are intelligent enough to know that they are referring to weight by volume

and what does that even mean.

Volume is the space something occupies, weight is the force exerted by it under the influence of gravity.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    that we are intelligent enough to know that they are referring to weight by volume

Volume is the space something occupies, weight is the force exerted by it under the influence of gravity.
    It's been explained on this thread a number of times. Given the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat. A cup of muscle weighs more than a cup of fat. A cubic centimetre of muscle weighs more than a cubic centimetre of fat.

Take your pick.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

agreed.

YES YESYESYESYESYES. YES!!

Thank you! This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine!!!
  • dcain2
    dcain2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I always looked at it like this. A pound of feathers compared to a pound of sand...they both weigh the same but look extremely opposite in terms of size and volume. Pretty simple to me.

^^^What he said!! While a pound is a pound the way that pound looks on your body is very different.
    For the longest time I was on a plateau...not losing weight but I was losing inches and clothes sizes. Why??because I was exercising and losing fat while gaining muscle. (I am now off the plateau--YAY!!)
  • chrishgt4
    Options

Yes it is - and things can be measured in a variety of ways. Muscle and fat can be measured to give us a volume. They can also be weighed to give us a weight.

When the volumes are the same for both of these things their weights will be different.
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Generally it takes something major to annoy me -usually just ignore things. However, when people quickly lash back with "Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat", it really annoys me. Really....do they think everyone doesn't know that? When someone says that muscle weighs more than fat, the fact that they are talking about equal volumes is a given.

I need to let this one go since it comes up SO often. GEESH! :)