Do you agree or disagree .....

Options

Replies

• AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how muscle "weighs more" than fat. It's leaner than fat. It takes up less room than fat... but, I don't think it "weighs more" than fat.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I thought everybody understood that what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat" is that 5 pounds of muscle takes up a lot less room than 5 pounds of fat, so if you wanted enough muscle to take up the amount of space that 5 pounds of fat takes up, the muscle would weigh a lot more than 5 pounds.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I really don't see how muscle "weighs more" than fat. It's leaner than fat. It takes up less room than fat... but, I don't think it "weighs more" than fat.
    I could just as easily say - What do you mean it takes up less room than fat? - a cubic foot of fat takes up the same amount of room as a cubic foot of muscle.

We are talking about two different variables here - volume and weight. If you hold volume constant, muscle weighs more than fat. If you hold weight constant, fat has a greater volume (takes up more room) than muscle.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I hate when I see people thinking a few pound gain a week after a workout is from muscle gain. Lol

Yeah...you would have to convert literally 2 GALLONS of your fat into muscle to see just over two pounds difference in body weight. That means LOSING 15 pounds of fat and BUILDING 17.6 pounds of muscle.

A gallon of fat weighs 7.5 pounds and a gallon of muscle weighs 8.8 pounds. So if a 200 pound person is 35% body fat....they have a little less than 10 gallons of fat. Convert HALF of the fat into muscle, and they would be at 17% body fat....however they would now take up about 4% less space. And look like a football player. Lol

The numbers just aren't as drastic as people think they are. Or wish they were.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite was when I told someone on the site that everyone knows that "per unit volume" is implied, and what everyone really means is that muscle is denser than fat. And then he called me a moron because everyone knows that muscle takes up less volume than fat (no mention of weight included).
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I thought everybody understood that what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat" is that 5 pounds of muscle takes up a lot less room than 5 pounds of fat, so if you wanted enough muscle to take up the amount of space that 5 pounds of fat takes up, the muscle would weigh a lot more than 5 pounds.
    It would weigh about 6 pounds.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

A cubic inch of muscle does NOT take up less room than a cubic inch of fat.

--See how stupid this argument is??
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    fatmusclecomparison.jpg
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same. A pound. but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Finally, thanks to this post, this controversial topic will be put to rest, once and for all.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I thought everybody understood that what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat" is that 5 pounds of muscle takes up a lot less room than 5 pounds of fat,
    Always simpler to be correct rather than be wrong and hope others see it from the same viewpoint :-) *kitten*-u-me nothing.

The link in the OP is about people who are not losing weight so where exactly does volume come into it ?
  • sillybeachgirl
    Options
    muscle is more dense than fat, so for example a cup of muscle would weigh more than a cup of fat...so if you look at 5lbs of muscle vs 5lbs of fat, the fat will take up more space...source* http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I thought everybody understood that what is meant by "muscle weighs more than fat" is that 5 pounds of muscle takes up a lot less room than 5 pounds of fat,
    Always simpler to be correct rather than be wrong and hope others see it from the same viewpoint :-) *kitten*-u-me nothing.

The link in the OP is about people who are not losing weight so where exactly does volume come into it ?
    The assumption is that most people here have a level of intelligence that doesn't require us to spell everything out for them like they are 5-year-olds. The idea that we can be smaller but weigh more due to the development of muscle is a very basic fitness concept. My bet is that even those parroting the tiresome mantra of "a pound weighs a pound" understand it.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It would seem that brain is denser than fat too
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Actually if Im not mistaken brain matter is mostly fat lol.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The best post ever!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Finally, thanks to this post, this controversial topic will be put to rest, once and for all.

If only...
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I can't help but reply to the pedants though...this is one thing the trolls will always win with for me.....
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    In the almost 2 years I've been here, I've only encountered ONE deluded person who actually believed that one pound of something weighted more than one pound of something else, and mercifully, she doesn't post any more.

Everyone else who uses that phrase understands that the words "by volume" are implied.

If you ask someone, "What's more valuable, gold or cow manure?" no one is going to say that $1000 of gold is worth the same as $1000 of cow poop.

I'm more annoyed that people think they're "gaining muscle" from doing two days of the 30DS on 1200 calories.

I agree with this 100%.
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This might be the greatest comment I've seen on here yet.