Ladies, tell me about your tummies

Options
1235»

Replies

• pickledginger
    Options
    When I was healthy and uninjured and ridiculously active, and had a single-digit body fat, I still had a little pooch. No detectable fat anyplace else.

(At the time, that drove me totally nuts. Now, I would live to have that body back.)

It is a secondary sexual characteristic; I think most of us are stuck with it, barring surgery or extreme and unhealthy weight loss.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    First of all, I wouldn't limit yourself to specific size until you reach a healthy BMI. Secondly I'm probably between a size US 6 and US 7 now. My highest was US 13. My stomach is STILL HERE in all its glory. I've never been able to wear form fitting clothes because of it, but now that I work out it looks pretty good as along as I keep my stomach contracted. :-/// I'm hoping fitness programs will fix my tummy because so far clean eating has NOT. :-(
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    meh--my stomach is on display in my avi. It gets really bloated by mid-day and i hate that.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Was a UK 22 now a 12. Even when in my 20's and slim I walways had a protruding belly. Since I started strength training I have had a relatively flat stomach even when at a size 16, in fact I can wear a fitted jersey dress with no fat rolls and with normal underwear. Strength training has definately helped me with my physical appearance, and made me realise how unimportant scale weight is.
    What kind of strength training do you do? What is your normal routine would you say?

Both interval training and weight lifting. I split my work outs between upper and lower body and do 4 sessions per week including a work out with my PT.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This is a bit of a strange question but bear with me :ohwell:

I used to be a size UK size 18 (US size 16) and much to my amazement (and thanks to MFP) I am now just about a size 12 (US size 10). I always used to imagine that I size 12 was pretty small and that being a size 10 would involve a flat stomach. But now, at size 12, I still have a sizeable belly and I'm not quite at a healthy BMI or Body Fat % yet. You can't see my big stomach so much when I'm wearing clothes though so I am wondering - are many of the skinny looking girls out there hiding a belly under those nice clothes?
    What dress size are you if you do have a completely flat stomach? I used to think I wouldn't go below a size 12 but I'm looking to revise my goals to fit in with being a healthy weight/body fat %.

I was also a UK size 16, now a size 12, in some a size 10. I can't even remember the last time I was! lol. It's weird, I always imagined people in a size 10 or 12 were slim, but now i'm one of those my opinion has changed.

Congrats anyway on the loss! And good luck with the goals! I'll be joining you too!xx
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    doesn't protrude but there is still that sack of fat below my belly and its driving me nuts!
  • foremaar012
    Options
    I try so hard to work on my belly...even high school sized I was always asked how far along i am...ugggh this is why i reaaly really reallly started hitting the gym again....i will prove you all wrong work ladies I am NOT pregnant. Other than that I've grown accustomed to it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I've always had a very flat stomach regardless of my size. My tush and the backs of my legs is the thing that gets out of control where I gain weight.

I've never ever been able to have defined abs, and this time around, I'm shotting for the definition!
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ugg my dreaded mid section! Ok so I to thought for sure I'd have a flat tummy at this point, well now I know better! I've also changed my goal size to something previously thought strange and impossible. However, I'm more geared toward healthy instead of sizes. I've been big my entire life. (Pre MFP) I've lost a total of 96.3lbs. I went from a tight 24 to a comfortable 12, (10 but I'm not one to accentuate my muffin top!) That being said I still have a belly, fat rolls, and back fat! :-( smaller rolls and what not but still. I do hide it under clothes, obviously. Here are some truths: belly fat really is the last to go. Putting muscle in your body will help. We are all built and shaped differently. Eat well and keep going! It's going to happen for all of us!! :-) If anyone is looking for support, and give support, send a request, please read my profile first. ;-)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Dress size 0-4 still a tummy so yeah, dress size has nothing to do with it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you ate within 24 hrs prior to taking a look at your belly, you would have a bulging stomach, no matter how thin you are. The models with flat bellies in the pics fast for a day or two before the shots. If you had at least one child, the bulge after eating will likely be more pronounced. Reducing bloating substances in your diet will help (grains, dairy, cabbages, fruit, legumes; see GAPS diet for recommendations)

Um ... What??? :huh:

So, what about all those women with the flat stomachs we see eating food or just after they've eaten food? Sometimes even <gasp> eating grains, dairy, cabbages, fruit, and/or legumes. I have eaten all those things regularly my entire life and had a flat stomach for most of it.

If the only way to have a flat stomach were to fast for 24 hrs we'd see very few flat tummies and very hungry people on beaches. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    generally speaking, the stomach is the hardest place for women to lose fat, as the squishy bit below your bellybutton is there to protect your ovaries - i have been maintaining for a while but i still have that little bit of fat that wont budge!

do u do strength training? if not start, it'll help with reducing bodyfat.

True- very VERY true.

I have a lovely adonis belt- and still feel there are times when I straight look fat- mostly due to the fact the shirt is emphasizing that little bit of belly fluff- rather than - masking it shall we say.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Still working at it. I'm down to 20.8% body fat and am just starting to see a 6-pack peeking through. You have to look closely, though, and I have to be flexing.

I am an apple body type, so I figure I'll have visible abs at about 18% and I'll look pretty ripped at about 15-16% body fat.

How your stomach looks is completely dependent on your body fat percentage and how your body stores fat. Women who store fat on the hips and thighs will have flatter abs sooner than women like me (all boobs and belly).