First workout above 1000 calories

Options
According to my HRM today's burn was 1,117 calories. First time over 1,000 and I'm exhausted!

I'm 6'5" and currently 265 (was 293 on the day I joined, and 323 at the beginning of this year) the work outs have varied all the way from mid 400s to damn near 900 but never this high, so I feel like its a hell of a milestone, and just kinda wanted to brag a bit...that is all...you may now return to your regularly scheduled programs.

Replies

• Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. :) What were you doing?
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    sounds like you want to loose like when you were first loosing lol
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    That's great! I love the feeling of over 1,000 cals burned... LOL all too rare for me, but I always feel so good about myself! Keep up the great work! =D
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's gonna sound cliché but it was the first "max" workout of insanity (day 1 week 6) I live in a very rural part of Florida an while I'm close to 2 major cities, the nearest gym is about a half hour drive...so went with the home workout program, but I do it in the garage were the heat and humidity of south Florida really ramp up the sweat factor lol (I figure if you're comfortable when you're working out, then you're not going as hard as you could)
  • Elizadolots
    Options
    Amazing! What workout did you do? :flowerforyou:
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    All in one time period. I'm curious to know what you were doing too so I can look into it.:drinker:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The one time I burned that many calories (via HRM) I had raked leaves and weeded gardens for 4 hours. Since then the closest I've gotten is 970 at the gym. So hard to eat enough on those days.
  • nphect
    Options
    It's gonna sound cliché but it was the first "max" workout of insanity (day 1 week 6) I live in a very rural part of Florida an while I'm close to 2 major cities, the nearest gym is about a half hour drive...so went with the home workout program, but I do it in the garage were the heat and humidity of south Florida really ramp up the sweat factor lol (I figure if you're comfortable when you're working out, then you're not going as hard as you could)

thats inspiring man well done, knock that insanity out.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    GO YOU!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    AH, THIS IS PERFECT. I POSTED SOMETHING LIKE THIS EARLIER.

That's AWESOME if you burnt that many calories (provided you can adequately fuel up after).

But what would MPF say you'd burn doing all that? I did strength training for 60 minutes today (first time wearing HRM) and it said I burnt 458 calories... when MFP would say I'd burn 160-170ish for my age/weight/height.

Trying to figure out if HRM isn't as accurate as I thought they were supposed to be?
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! it feels good to do huge burns. .
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    sounds like you want to loose like when you were first loosing lol
    actually I've been pretty happy with the rate of loss, in fact I increased my calorie intake to compensate for it, I was just stoked about the raw number, even though I know it's not healthy o focus so much on the numbers, I was just happy to see this particular one.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    But what would MPF say you'd burn doing all that? I did strength training for 60 minutes today (first time wearing HRM) and it said I burnt 458 calories... when MFP would say I'd burn 160-170ish for my age/weight/height.

Trying to figure out if HRM isn't as accurate as I thought they were supposed to be?
    HRMs aren't designed to estimate calorie burn for strength training. They're generally better with sustained cardio.

MFP isn't very accurate either!
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just had my 1,000+ workout day yesterday!!! Don't you feel like a superhero? I did! :-)

I did 65 minutes on the elliptical at the gym, and then recovered a bit while I did a quick stop to get some groceries. I got home, had half a protein shake, and then went into Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.

What a great day!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That's AWESOME if you burnt that many calories (provided you can adequately fuel up after).

Unfortunately HRMs don't accurately measure calories burned for strength training.
    Explanation here
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • nphect
    Options

probably because MPF defines "strength training" as lifting weights and you were jumping around doing stuff for your "strength training"
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Sweating because of excess heat in your environment does nothing to help your workout. All it does is make you more likely to become dehydrated. If anything, I'd bet you'd work *harder* if you weren't in an environment that started out uncomfortably hot.
  • denjohnson
    Options
    Awesome!!!!! Keep up the good work. You have done a tremendous job on your weight loss. Doesn't it feel great?