Why does breakfast suck?

Options
Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE breakfast, but I'm the type that loves all the wrong things: sugary cereal, waffles, pancakes, etc. When it comes to liking the healthy alternatives (eggs, oatmeal, etc), well....not so much. I can take eggs sometimes (scrambled) but after a while, they honestly start making me gag. And oatmeal? Don't get me STARTED on oatmeal..... >:C

I have started eating yogurt with fruit and a bit of toast but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on breakfast meals that don't involve eggs or oatmeal (preferably cold and low on the carb side) that still sticks to a healthy diet? Maybe an ethnic dish or something that most people don't think of?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating nontraditional foods for breakfast: leftover stir fry, tuna on a toasted english muffin, soup, etc. No one says you have to eat eggs or cereal just because it is 7 am!
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    PB&J, grilled cheese, bagels.. Im a big fan on carbs for breakfast lol. Do you like any non-sugary cereal? I really like shreddies and rice krispies and eat them regularly too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What's up with oatmeal? Is it a texture thing? If yes, try some steel cut oats .... not as gluey, and no baby food texture.

Anyway, instant or rolled (old fashioned) oats are "pre-cooked" .... so you can eat these COLD. Mix into your yogurt the night before or use "as is" in a smoothie. Try toasting a batch of dry oats ... then adding to your yogurt ... adds a nutty flavor.

There are savory oatmeal recipes too ..... I'm not a fan .... but I've seen these (somewhere).

Non-oatmeal .....I mix cereal into flavored yogurt (try grapenuts ... mmm crunchy).

Cottage cheese has good protein numbers. Try string cheese & hard boiled eggs.
  • pegsum
    pegsum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that says you have to eat traditional breakfast food for breakfast. I often have dinner leftovers for breakfast. Sometimes a salad or a tuna sandwich. Soup is good too. Pizza. You get the idea.
  • aloubere
    Options
    I usually start every morning with 16 oz of cold water. Its supposed to help kick start your metabolism. Then i will go for a cereal bar like the ones nature valley or cliff makes. I have found this combination to be light and keep me going easily until lunch. The bars are fairly high in carbs but if you are going to be active between breakfast and lunch its good to spike the blood sugar a bit.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    How about adding protein to your pancakes or waffles? That's the only way we make them anymore (weekends). We use vanilla ice cream protein powder and they're so yummy.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    How about adding protein to your pancakes or waffles? That's the only way we make them anymore (weekends). We use vanilla ice cream protein powder and they're so yummy.

do you have a recipe for these protein pancakes? i would love to hear it!! thanks :)
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Porridge oats made with rice milk/semi skimmed milk and water, topped with brown sugar, almond butter, strawberries/blueberries and banana - fantastic.
    Love it so much, love it love it love it! Even better after a 10K run!

IMG_2219.jpg
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options

do you have a recipe for these protein pancakes? i would love to hear it!! thanks :)
    We make our pancakes like normal (about a cup of mix to make six 4 inch pancakes) and added a scoop of the vanilla protein powder. Kind of played with the liquid, if it looks too thick we add a little more. I was just trying to increase my protein and it turned out delicious.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Chipotle chicken with cheese and sour cream is awesome for breakfast. The only thing it needs is eggs!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    First: screw oatmeal. I have many reasons for saying this, but I'll drop a single example: show me one person who is in the 5-7% BF range who eats oatmeal.

Second: stop thinking 'breakfast foods'. My breakfast a couple of days ago was a quarter of a pound of chicken breast, and 3 oz. of shrimp.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating nontraditional foods for breakfast: leftover stir fry, tuna on a toasted english muffin, soup, etc. No one says you have to eat eggs or cereal just because it is 7 am!

Exactly this. I have soup for breakfast sometimes.

Its just another meal, you don't have to stick to any particular formula.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that says you have to eat traditional breakfast food for breakfast. I often have dinner leftovers for breakfast. Sometimes a salad or a tuna sandwich. Soup is good too. Pizza. You get the idea.

Me too.

Leftover Chinese is the best breakfast, not on a diet but...cold Chinese is good.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Here's a few suggestions from my own breakfasts:

Protein shakes (loaded with berries, banana, soymilk or whatever is on hand)
    Rice cakes/toast with peanut butter
    Yogurt with some apple sauce mixed in
    Healthy-style muffins (I'll bake a big batch ahead of time so I have one for each morning).
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options

^^^^ this, eat whatever you want. Just have something to get you moving. I stay away from high carbs as they seem to tire me out quickly. But what is wrong with steak, soup, tuna, stir fry, I would rather eat larger in the early hours than later at night. Gives me time to burn it off.
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    I love breakfast it is my easiest meal all day, and I eat the sma ething everyday I actually eat it on my ride to work - I microwave two servings of egg beaters with a little shredded cheese, and a little jimmy dean Turkey sausage crumbles, on a whole wheat sandwhich thin with a little spray butter it is delish!
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love my smoothies for breakfast. I always have some spinach, protein powder, and silk unsweetened almond milk in there. After that some kind of fruit...bananas, berries, mango, whatever. And sometimes I add peanut butter cause I just love it.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Breakfast smoothies (peanut butter and banana), homemade oatmeal with rolled oats (much better texture) made with any kind of flavours add-ins (peanut butter and banana!), and scrambled eggs with SALSA! on top. I used to hate breakfast, but I have since found my way around these foods to make them palatable to me. A fried egg with avocado on a slice of sprouted toast is really good. Or do a grilled peanut butter and fruit (mashed banana, slices of peach, mashed raspberries, whatever) sandwich on sprouted bread.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I tell you I have a tough time with breakfast but the other morning I got a Wake-up wrap with eggwhites, cheese and ham form Dunkin' Donut's and it was awesome...

http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/menu/food/sandwiches/breakfastsandwiches/wakeup_wrap.html

Very reasonable in terms of the nutritional elements, not like a HUGE breakfast sandwich and it was under $2.00. I was satisfied as all hell!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am a lucky charms kinda girl, I could eat the whole box no problem.....mmmmm.

But I just eat 2 cups of Special K red berries...and it kinda grows on you after a while. It fills me up too. Ill make egg white omelets on my non lifting days, bc its lower calorie....but on days where I can afford a bit more carbs...Id rather have a refreshing bowl of cereal.